Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Looking to upgrade my Interior

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 03:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Looking to upgrade my Interior

Hey xB2 owners.

Ok, I own a tC but I don't see as many tC owners dressing up their interiors like how the xB2's do it so I'm coming to you guys for advice. I was wondering how I can go about getting my interior done up like this:

If you look closely in this picture, the interior panels and pieces are covered in a fabric rather than painted (as most people do). This is how I'd like to do mine. I've seen some of you xB2 owners doing fabric on your interior door panels, console, etc. so I'd love to hear from you!

So thanks in advance and feel free to throw up pictures of your VIP ride!
Old 05-27-2010, 04:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Any comments are strongly welcomed!
Old 05-27-2010, 04:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

To cover all the dash panels with fabric or leather you want to fine a good upholstry shop and be prepared to spend some money. The pieces have to be cut out and stiched together for fit over the curves and angles of the dash. If you want to do just one panel sometimes that can be down with a single piece of material and good glue but many times it just isn't possible without stiching.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, the stitching is actually what I was looking forward to. So I need to find an upholstery shop and kinda get a quote? In order to pull off the look of that concept design, the dash and the upper pieces of the panels will stay black, but everything south will be white with some design changes here and there.

Know of any good shops in Cali?
Old 05-30-2010, 03:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

BUMP
Old 06-01-2010, 04:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bump

Come on you xB2's! You're all the experts of stuff like this amongst the Scion's.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Vehicles with vinyl or fabric dashes have a light padding, too. My Q45 has a thin landau padding under the material. As already stated, best bet would be to hit up a local interior shop.
There's only the one xB2 with any type of decent stitching, and that's Charles'. His is a dashmat type of deal. Looks great and does what he wants it to do. I know with the xB2, the dash comes off in 2 pieces. There's an upper part and a lower. Not sure how the tC is.
As to where to look, I'd suggest your yellow pages. Just like getting a tattoo, look at different portfolios and tell them what you want, get a quote, and take care of business.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well one thing is for sure, the dash is staying the same basically (stock). Since the dash and the top of the panels are all black already so there's no need for fabric, but it's everything south of that.

I'll try to find a local interior shop in Bakersfield...I'll keep you guys posted.

Keep up the feedback though, it's appreciated!
Old 06-05-2010, 01:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Aurora
Well one thing is for sure, the dash is staying the same basically (stock). Since the dash and the top of the panels are all black already so there's no need for fabric, but it's everything south of that.

I'll try to find a local interior shop in Bakersfield...I'll keep you guys posted.

Keep up the feedback though, it's appreciated!
If you're going to get your interior padded, don't cheapen out by not doing the top of the dash. It'll look tacky having that plastic stand out.

It's what ruined the interior of cars like the Camry. Sure, most of it is soft to the touch, until you reach into the back of the car and find out it's... plastic!

If you're going all out and upgrading the interior, go all out and do the top of your dash, too.

EDIT: And while you're at it, run LED's into the door handles, too. lol j/p
Old 06-05-2010, 05:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it wont be cheap but do it all, but be prepared for a nightmare to keep clean, go suede linke highend euro exotics

heres a civic done
Old 06-05-2010, 10:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think the black suede will fade in direct sunlight and start to fade over time. But will look sick for a while
Old 06-06-2010, 08:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pyroman131
If you're going to get your interior padded, don't cheapen out by not doing the top of the dash. It'll look tacky having that plastic stand out.

It's what ruined the interior of cars like the Camry. Sure, most of it is soft to the touch, until you reach into the back of the car and find out it's... plastic!

If you're going all out and upgrading the interior, go all out and do the top of your dash, too.

EDIT: And while you're at it, run LED's into the door handles, too. lol j/p
I see what you're saying, but the plastic would hold up best in direct sunlight. With that in mind, you think it should still have the fabric carried over onto it as well? I figures since it was already part of the color scheme, it'd work. The concept picture I provided, the dash is in some kind of leather which would be easy to clean, but expensive.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Aurora
I see what you're saying, but the plastic would hold up best in direct sunlight. With that in mind, you think it should still have the fabric carried over onto it as well? I figures since it was already part of the color scheme, it'd work. The concept picture I provided, the dash is in some kind of leather which would be easy to clean, but expensive.
True, I agree the plastic would hold up well, but all you need are ArmorAll wipes. I used that on my old Acura (which had leather) and on my Scion regularly, and that protects it well.

The reason why this is important to do the whole thing is because it'll look tacky if you have cheap plastic for the dash followed by a leather for the rest. The color scheme would be fine either way, but if you sat in the car, I think you'd agree it'd look tacky. I feel like it would seem like an unfinished job. It makes me think of the backseat of a Toyota Camry, where most of the materials are nice, but once you get to the area past the backseat headrests, you'll find cheap plastic everywhere. Ruins the quality IMO.

If you're aiming for that kick butt BMW look, you *need* to go high-end.

You can take care of leather fine with regular cleaning and an ArmorAll protective wipe. Plus, it looks so elegant when it has that shine, too.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ Ah, I see bro. I feel ya. Ok, well in that case, the upper part that is all black along the dash and top of the door panels (front and back) can be in black leather. Is there one thin enough?

What about the white fabric? I guess these might be questions for an upolstery shop. So with all of the interior "wrapped" in sewn fabric, that should give it that VIP look like that pic huh?
Old 06-08-2010, 03:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh yes, it would definitely achieve that luxury look. If that's what you're after, expect to pay some dough for it. I would think at least $1,500 at a bare, bare minimum.

You'd definitely be driving sex on wheels if you did this.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pyroman131
Oh yes, it would definitely achieve that luxury look. If that's what you're after, expect to pay some dough for it. I would think at least $1,500 at a bare, bare minimum.

You'd definitely be driving sex on wheels if you did this.
Yes, that is what I am after. So I guess the search is on for an upholstery shop. Anyone down in SoCal on a first name basis with any or know any place I can contact that you've dealt with before?

I know this will cost a bit, but its the entire interior so it seems expected.