Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

TRD (xB2) CAI Installation Order

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 11:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default TRD (xB2) CAI Installation Order

I need a quick word of advice from all you TRD CAI owners, if you please. I was about to pull the trigger and order the $299 kit for my '09 xB from TRDSparks.com when I noticed a small note in the installation instructions. It says the "recommended sequence of [TRD accessory] application" is: 1) the CAI kit and, only then, 2) the front strut tower brace. Below this note is the cryptic notation - "* Mandatory".

So, since I just installed my TRD front strut brace and don't feel like pulling it out again, can someone tell me if it really will somehow obstruct the installation of the CAI if left in place?

Thanks, Marc

(Oh, and if you're feeling really generous with your time (someone?), could you tell me if I really have to "drop the front bumper" or pull the front, left inside fender liner every time I want to inspect the CAI air filter. If this is indeed the case, then it'd be an absolute show-stopper for me. Accessibility is everything! Thanx again, M)
Old 06-07-2010, 11:29 PM
SL Member

Dude the Strut bar is what, 4 bolts? doesn't take that much extra time
Old 06-07-2010, 11:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, I know, you're right. I worry too much. But with just two 10mm nuts securing the plastic engine cover at the FRONT end, why does TRD even mention a strut bar installed to the engine's REAR? (And then say "Mandatory"?)

Anyway, thanks.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:04 AM
SL Member

well the intake manifold is down back there and it would make life much easier to get the intake pipe on it without the strut tower bar in the way.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Of course.

However, I followed the TRD strut bar install instructions to the letter, which involved removing the wiper motor cowl/assembly, etc. - not just four nuts, and I don't relish doing it again. But, as you say, it is roughly below my strut bar where my intake plumbing resides.

I value the knowledge I've gleaned while lurking here on SL and was hoping to elicit a comment from someone to the effect that I could still manage the job without difficulty (i.e., without removing the strut brace).

Anyway, the point is moot because I ain't gonna fit a CAI if the consequence is that I can't whip open the air filter enclosure whenever I want. I don't mind getting on the ground to do it but unbolting and/or moving other stuff out of the way first is a "no go."

Thanks very much again.

Marc
Old 06-08-2010, 03:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I put the strut brace on before installing the CAI. You can indeed install the CAI without removing the strut brace. It will make the install a little tougher as the strut brace does get in the way.

You DO have to take off the wheel well liner to get to the airbox/air filter of the TRD CAI. This may kill the deal for you.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks Mr. Mike. (I have monster hands too, which usually don't help in these situations.) Doesn't matter - I will NOT disassemble my car to check a friggin' filter.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by millardmt
Thanks Mr. Mike. (I have monster hands too, which usually don't help in these situations.) Doesn't matter - I will NOT disassemble my car to check a friggin' filter.
Yeah, it is kind of a bummer to have to take the wheel and wheel well liner off to check the air filter. I could be wrong, but I believe, according to Toyota the air filter only needs to be cleaned every 30,000 miles. This makes the disassembly a little less painful.

Check out the K&N CAI. The filter is located in the engine bay so you don't really get cold(er) air, but it is more free flowing than stock and it is easy clean/replace.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:13 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Take off the bumper if you are installing the CAI. I removed mine when I removed the snorkel off my stock intake. It makes things much much easier and the bumper is stupid simple to remove and reinstall.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by AAG
Take off the bumper if you are installing the CAI. I removed mine when I removed the snorkel off my stock intake. It makes things much much easier and the bumper is stupid simple to remove and reinstall.
Truth. Removing the bumper is MUCH easier (in my opinion), then having to find a low jack, jack the car up a bit with low jack, jack car up with regular jack, remove driver's side front wheel, halfway remove fender liner, contort one's self to install TRD CAI, etc...

Removing the bumper is definitely the easy. Removal of the bumper is a hand full of 10mm bolts, a couple quarter-turn fasteners, pull by the headlights, and it's off.

I don't personally own the TRD strut brace, but I couldn't see it inhibitting much while installing the intake. At all, really.

Should fit fine.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks all:

I've gotta think on this - $300 is a lot of money for me (if I were to go TRD). And IF I do make the purchase, the installation will occur through the space left by the front bumper!

M

(The only thing I REALLY wanted for my car was the supercharger, sigh ...)
Old 06-09-2010, 01:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ive had the trd cai from the beginning and yes you do have to go thru the fender or bumper to check/clean the air filter Truely stupid, but i just converted mine to short ram and kept on truckin
id would recomend just buying a different brand that fits your need and is easier to maintain TRD aint all that jmo