Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Pioneer AVIC-F900BT in RS6 question

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Pioneer AVIC-F900BT in RS6 question

Ok i got the RS6 new and it has the Pioneer AVIC-F900BT in it. It came with all the USB & iPod connections routed to the glove box. The USB works fine and I use it a lot.

The question.... What works on the iPod port? I have had several friends hook up their iPods and nothing happens. The AV1 is set to iPod and the AV2 is set to off. When an iPod is hooked up, the AV1 never changes state to show something is hooked up to it.

I want to get an iPod, but if it won't work with my car, forget it. Any suggestions?

I might add that I have nothing hooked to the radio (SD card, USB, Cd, etc) when I am trying to use the iPod connection.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All of the ipods should work unless it specifies otherwise. Take a look at pioneers website. It should say if it only works with certain models of iPod.

I have an avh4100 in my tC and any ipod I have hooked up works fine. So I would maybe consider taking it to the dealer and having them look at it to make sure it's not the cable itself that isn't busted or something.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Are you talking about the ipod connector in the center console? I dont think that will work anymore.

To use an ipod, hook up the ipod usb cable to the usb connector in the glove box, and it should work properly.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can not use your ipod usb cable. you need to get the cable for the stereo it has a ipod adapter that hooks to your ipod. i"ll see if i can get a pic of mine
Old 06-21-2010, 12:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

i have the avic-x910bt, and i use the usb ipod cable.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

you need the IPOD direct cable.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...CD-IU230V.html
Old 06-21-2010, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I have an ipod in my rs6 fulltime, and its what i usually listen to. i set av2 to ipod and av1 to video. you can use the headphone jack on the pioneer faceplate or ipod integration in your glovebox this way. if its a big ipod, give it time to read all the songs. make sure that in your glove box you connect the usb header to the integration cable.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

also, av1 wont change, the USB icon will change to iPod.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The RS6 comes with a Head Unit from Pioneer that has the iPod connector in the glovebox. I use mine all the time...

Sounds like your iPod cable may be defective or not fully connected. Have you checked the back of the unit?

First connect an iPod to the connector in your glovebox. Make sure you connect the iPod connector and the USB connector.

My Settings:

Menu Screen > Settings > AV Settings > AV1 (iPod)

Menu Screen > AV Source > iPod Icon should be colored (not grayed out)

I just select the iPod in the AV source and the iPod control is displayed on your screen. If not, your cable is either not fully connected or might be defective.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:42 AM

Have you checked the firmware. Since the RS6 was released, Pioneer has issued 3 firmware upgrades/changes, the first 2 of the 3 are free to download from Pioneers website, the 3rd is a firmware/map update and is about $100. I had some issue with mine when I first took delivery of my RS6, I have since upgraded the firmware as to Pioneers specs with the 2 free ones. I have an 60gb Classic iPod with Video, the only issue I have experienced, and it is not as often after the firmware updates, is the iPod will sometimes cause the unit to stop and reset/restart itself for no reason. Hope this is useful or helpful. I also have AV2 set to Video, other than that mine is set just like yours.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:43 AM

Also, another website that is very helpful with Pioneer nav units is www.avic411.com lots of mods and hacks and stuff if you are so inclined.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmmm I am seeing that the iPod connector has to then be connected to the USB adaptor. Never thought about that. The USB works and is on it's own cable. The iPod connector is on it's own cable. They come together and all of it plugs into the back of the head unit with 2 RCA's I think. I will borrow a friends iPod again and see if I can get it to work. I just don't want to invest in the iPod if it wont work in the car. Will the new iPod with the video cam work? Can you see the videos from the iPod?

azmadzboy, that is the cable that is connected to the unit. Oh well, I will try again. Thanks
Old 07-13-2010, 12:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK.... call me techno impaired.... After reading the answers given here, I got a friend's iPod, plugged it in and "ALSO" hooked the 2 USB ends together. TaDa! iPod came up and the iPod controls and all that. Works great. Thanks for the help even though it sucks that I am that far behind the times!
Old 07-14-2010, 01:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RC-PILOT
Will the new iPod with the video cam work? Can you see the videos from the iPod?
Congratulations in getting it working!

I don't know about the new iPod with the video cam, but I can play the videos off my iPod.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:59 AM
MCP

GREAT THREAD!!!
I have a friend with an RS6 that is having problems with his. The dealership has replaced numerous times but now we know. Also his have had problems with freezing up but I'm going to assume a firmware upgrade will help with that problem. We'll check it out and check back in. Thanks a lot y'all!
Old 10-26-2010, 11:04 PM

There is also a youtube video that walks you through the bypass that allows you watch a video and control the nav system while in motion.
www.soundmancaraudio.com