Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

help me justify a reason to buy/not buy a weapon R intake manifold...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 10:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default help me justify a reason to buy/not buy a weapon R intake manifold...

ok..so far what i have on my xB is...
Agency power lightweight Aluminum Crank Pulley
Fujita CAI
Strup Ceramic Header
Greddy SE exhaust

im planning on getting a Weapon-R S-pipe, High Flow Cat, custom mid pipe, and quite possible a Weapon-R Intake Manifold.

Now i kinda know the theory behind an aftermarket intake manifold and how it is more beneficial to Force induction engines than N/A engines.

as you can tell i have an N/A engine. somebody school me about why or why not i should spend my money on an intake manfold.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Does 5hp warrant the $500+ price tag?
Old 07-27-2010, 11:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why did you buy an xb if you want to go fast?
Old 07-27-2010, 11:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xseveredveganx
Does 5hp warrant the $500+ price tag?
hmmMm..5 hp isnt much..wish i had a dyno sheet to prove how much it actually puts out ..weapon-r claims it can produce 15-30 hp on N/A cars

its just like buying an exhaust or CAI...they claim the HP numbers for a steep price..besides, sometime down the road i will be looking into getting a turbo. So it will be more useful than now.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pOrk
Why did you buy an xb if you want to go fast?
why did i buy an xb if i want to go fast? The million dollar question haha... its not that i want to go fast its the fact that an xB beating a much faster car..ok maybe i do want to go fast haha... if you aint first your last..but i will actually want to try autox in the near future. oh and im tired of all these stupid honda's running around thinking they bada$$...
Old 07-27-2010, 11:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by aggj24
why did i buy an xb if i want to go fast? The million dollar question haha... its not that i want to go fast its the fact that an xB beating a much faster car..ok maybe i do want to go fast haha... if you aint first your last..but i will actually want to try autox in the near future. oh and im tired of all these stupid honda's running around thinking they bada$$...
True. However, personally, I'd rather drive slow and look cool than be that nozzle flying in and out of traffic.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

True. However, personally, I'd rather drive slow and look cool than be that nozzle flying in and out of traffic.

Haha, I concur.

I have a hayabusa for going fast, and the toaster for everything else. I was just wondering, seems like you would need to spend some serious money to get this little truck to break 134s, and a GTP can do that from the factory. Actually, you can go buy a late 90s GTP for 3 grand...
Old 07-28-2010, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

usually on my daily drive to and from work i am just cruising...i just want to squeeze out as much power from the box just in case my foot happends to be heavy and my gears happen to downshift and race another car..haha also it could help with autocross

i understand the box isnt the best choice for speed but its what i got and modding is quite fun. In a couple of months i will be buying another car for my wife..what is it you ask? its a 370Z..ill do a little of work on it but not much
Old 07-28-2010, 01:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

I love my TRD CAI. It has a nice growl to it and it makes my right foot heavier.

I have my Q45 for something quick to cruise around in. It's surprisingly quick for being such a large car.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

no. Don't buy one. Because stock is so for, the best design. Not one company can prove out their IM. People have been asking for months( like 14-16 months) to see a dyno chart or something to justify spending tge money.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by game-over
no. Don't buy one. Because stock is so for, the best design. Not one company can prove out their IM. People have been asking for months( like 14-16 months) to see a dyno chart or something to justify spending tge money.
Please explain why stock intake manifold is the best design over an aftermarket design...
http://www.weapon-r.com/images/produ...01-112-414.jpg

a bigger collector and polished manifold..more air, less air restriction. if i choose to go with it i will be the guinea pig and most definitely dyno my car before and after..and let you guys know if its worth it or not. but until i decide we will never know...unless somebody else has got one for an N/A
Old 07-28-2010, 01:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i have heard the car needs to be tuned when that manifold if on. or the car runs lean as it gets more air, and the same fuel as stock.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Please explain why stock intake manifold is the best design over an aftermarket design...

a bigger collector and polished manifold..more air, less air restriction. if i choose to go with it i will be the guinea pig and most definitely dyno my car before and after..and let you guys know if its worth it or not. but until i decide we will never know...unless somebody else has got one for an N/A
go ahead and do it. And when you come up with less power and idel issues then we'll all know.

Originally Posted by 06tcdude
i have heard the car needs to be tuned when that manifold if on. or the car runs lean as it gets more air, and the same fuel as stock.
well that's a given. It needs to be retuned.

The stock IM can hold well over 500-600 whp. And for the money for the product, install, tune.

Do you have a piggy back. You'll need one to be tuned.
So when it's all said and done. It's not a $600 part. Try more like a $1200 part ( if you don't need a piggy back, add another $400-$600 if you don't have one)
$1200 for a part that isn't proven. Idk.
You could put you monies else where.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you need help justifying a reason to actually buy this upgrade, you shouldn't buy it. The price tag alone is a pure rip-off for such a modest gain.

You're investing in all these performance upgrades for little return. I think people who go the bolt-on direction should pretty much stop at I/H/E, and maybe an UDP. But that price tag right there is already about $1,000.

If you keep investing on other upgrades just to get a little more speed, you might as well have invested in a turbo application.

I don't think you should buy the whole manifold deal. If you want a more cost-effective deal, why not consider a header? I'm going to be putting on my Strup Header this Thursday and I can give you more personal experience after I drive it around. So I'm investing in that and a Tsudo Fireball exhaust. From there, I'll decide whether or not I am going to make my box turbo, or if I should invest in I/H/E mods.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea the only thing stopping me from getting the intake manifold is the price of it.
i think i might just use that money for the Greddy E-manage..not sure yet though.

As far as the header goes..i already have installed the Strup Ceramic coated header. so i will give you a little personal experience with it..haha ive had it for awhile now so i cant feel the difference because im used to it..but when i first got it..man this sucker got quick..its a little raspy at high RPM but its not that ricey either..you could pretty much hear the exhaust air flowing through the tubes when the windows are down. i would say it was a good investment.

im still ify about getting a turbo as well..being that i already bought the header..a S/C application would be better so my header wouldnt go to waste. but since the TRD supercharger is D/C thats kinda outa the picture, unless i could get my hands on one for cheap. the turbo would be way better though and also both the S/C and turbo could benefit with the intake manifold

Last edited by aggj24; 07-28-2010 at 06:18 AM.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok..so far what i have on my xB is...
Agency power lightweight Aluminum Crank Pulley
Fujita CAI
Strup Ceramic Header
Greddy SE exhaust

im planning on getting a Weapon-R S-pipe, High Flow Cat, custom mid pipe, and quite possible a Weapon-R Intake Manifold.

Now i kinda know the theory behind an aftermarket intake manifold and how it is more beneficial to Force induction engines than N/A engines.

as you can tell i have an N/A engine. somebody school me about why or why not i should spend my money on an intake manfold.
Pros:

1) Looks cool
2) Possible slight WHP gain at WOT/High RPM

Cons:

1) Probable WHP/TQ loss in low-mid range
2) Cost
3) Very likely necessity for aftermarket engine management and tune just to get engine to idle and run correctly with it.

Don't waste your money.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

xbs can be fast in the proper hands with proper things done to them
Old 08-01-2010, 01:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what about looking cool, and flying through traffic ?
Old 08-01-2010, 04:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just buy it! You only live once! But you WILL need to get it tuned!
Old 08-01-2010, 11:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've read the stock intake manifold breaths fine up to fairly high HP, something 300 or more. That being the case, unless you're actually going high HP turbo (as opposed to just every day turbo), I guess I don't see the point !

Quick Reply: help me justify a reason to buy/not buy a weapon R intake manifold...