Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

!!!Help!!! Door speaker wire installation!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default !!!Help!!! Door speaker wire installation!

Hey everyone.

So I tore apart my doors to install my new RF Power 6.5's into the doors. I ordered speaker adapters and they're on the way, but I cannot figure out how to run my speaker wire into the doors! Some input from guys that have already ran wires to their door speakers already would be much appreciated.

There are those ribbed rubber tubes that link the B-pillars to the doors but those are next to impossible to run another wire through. There's a plastic connector at the B-pillar side and it's taped up at the door side. I don't know how you guys did it.

Here's some pictures of what I'm working with right now, please don't pay any attention to the messiness. I'm just using that one speaker attached as a tester.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

those are the rear doors right? what i did was take out the connector and used a drill to make a little hole in it. then i just slid the speaker wire through it. easy as pie that way.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by randomsuper
those are the rear doors right? what i did was take out the connector and used a drill to make a little hole in it. then i just slid the speaker wire through it. easy as pie that way.
How did you take out that plug?

I tried tinkering for half an hour and I couldn't take it out.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this was a while ago but i think i just yanked it out. i don't remember there being some special trick to it.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by randomsuper
this was a while ago but i think i just yanked it out. i don't remember there being some special trick to it.
Gah! I'll try again. How did you manage the front wires? Thanks for your input.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

for the front i used a coat hanger and some tape, lube, and so much swearing it was ridiculous. if i had to do it again, i'd make a small slit in the boot and run the speaker wire through it. would be much easier.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why take them out I always use the factory wires. I attach my wires coming from my amp to the harness behind the radio. Saves the headache
Old 08-01-2010, 03:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I used 14ga wire in the front doors and that took a great deal of work to get it through the factory wire guide. I can vouch to Randoms use of lube, coat hanger and much swearing (please make sure any children are far away from you). I had to pull the boot off the door to thread the wire through. Made it a little easier, at least that's my story and I'm stick'n with it. Next time, I'll just make a hole in the boot and run my wire outside it.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TwztedtC
Why take them out I always use the factory wires. I attach my wires coming from my amp to the harness behind the radio. Saves the headache
Some believe better signal is carried to the speakers via lower gauge wiring. Hence, they overdo it. But I think my 12 awg speaker wire is not overkill.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by KaneoheKoa
I used 14ga wire in the front doors and that took a great deal of work to get it through the factory wire guide. I can vouch to Randoms use of lube, coat hanger and much swearing (please make sure any children are far away from you). I had to pull the boot off the door to thread the wire through. Made it a little easier, at least that's my story and I'm stick'n with it. Next time, I'll just make a hole in the boot and run my wire outside it.
And that's exactly what I'll do. Thanks for the pointer.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've only done the front ones. Just jam it in there. Helps if you remove the boot from both sides (car and door side), scrunch it up, and then try to pass the wire through. Makes for a shorter length you need to get it through. Keep trying, it'll happen.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by buickid
I've only done the front ones. Just jam it in there. Helps if you remove the boot from both sides (car and door side), scrunch it up, and then try to pass the wire through. Makes for a shorter length you need to get it through. Keep trying, it'll happen.
Yeah, sounds like the correct plan of attack. Thanks.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Like what has been said for the fronts just diconnect the ends of the boots from the a-piller and front doors and you can feed the wire through it. It is easier if you slit the boots just just after where they go through the metal. For the rears there are clips on the top and bottom of plugs on the outside of the b-pillers and a side clip on the inner half of the plug. From there you just need to look for a clear area to drill through for the wires to fit.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

omg.

My rear windows and doorlocks don't work. I took out the plug and drilled at the base of the plug and fed my speaker wire through. I made sure I didn't drill into any wires on accident and I reconnected it securely. I did break the clips though.

But now, my rear doors won't function at all electrically. I checked the fuses, they're still ok. I wonder what I have to do now.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by MaxBoost925
omg.

My rear windows and doorlocks don't work. I took out the plug and drilled at the base of the plug and fed my speaker wire through. I made sure I didn't drill into any wires on accident and I reconnected it securely. I did break the clips though.

But now, my rear doors won't function at all electrically. I checked the fuses, they're still ok. I wonder what I have to do now.

EEP! No good! I haven't a clue. I haven't messed with the rear doors at all, nor will I.

Make sure all the window switches are plugged in. I know the tC, and more than likely the xB2, are similar. All the switches need to be in a circuit, otherwise stuff won't work.

Front doors were a big enough of a pain. I ran 16awg and I'll be running 2 sets of 14awg when I get the time. Time to go active...
Old 08-04-2010, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Correct, the xB needs the window switches plugged in to work. The door locks, no idea. Got a DMM? Start checking stuff.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by buickid
Correct, the xB needs the window switches plugged in to work. The door locks, no idea. Got a DMM? Start checking stuff.
Yeah. I assumed so.

I connected one side with the window switch but not the other. Tested it, didn't work.

Will try again tomorrow.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't worry you didn't fry anything. Your molex plugs are not plugged back in fully. It happens to me at least every other time I pull the plugs apart to get more wires through there. You need to pull the wires you ran through tight while plugging the harnesses back together. it helps to have a second set of hands but can be done by one person. This reminds me that i need to fix the passenger side plug from the last time I pulled it apart.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Greg S
Don't worry you didn't fry anything. Your molex plugs are not plugged back in fully. It happens to me at least every other time I pull the plugs apart to get more wires through there. You need to pull the wires you ran through tight while plugging the harnesses back together. it helps to have a second set of hands but can be done by one person. This reminds me that i need to fix the passenger side plug from the last time I pulled it apart.
It was in there pretty tight. Like I said, I broke the clip so it doesn't snap in place anymore, but I forced it in pretty tightly.

I was thinking about cutting off the wires from the harness and then crimping them together, hardwiring them.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Finished front doors, the rear door speaker adapters were the wrong ones. I ordered the ones for the rear of the xB1, didn't fit.

They sound pretty good. I have some serious midbass power now! But anyways, I fixed the rear doorlock issue, like Greg said, the molex plugs weren't all the way in. I now have a strange issue, when I press the lock button on my keyfob, the car will lock itself, but not blink nor make a beep sound. It happened before and went away by itself, I can't explain this glitch.

Ugh, my rear doors are still taken apart, but at least I have music again.

Quick Reply: !!!Help!!! Door speaker wire installation!