Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 04:42 PM
5 Year Member

Default Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD

Does anyone have one of these and do they like it? I just ordered it and it has a ton of good reviews on Crutchfield. I was noticing the stock head unit really doesn't have much control EQ wise and this unit has an 8 band eq so I hope that helps me balance out the sound. I also have an Infinity Kappa 100.9 sub on the way so help out the low end. I will put up some pics when installed.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have this same head unit in another car of mine and i absolutely love it, the interface is very easy to use, and the large screen is a plus in my mind. All in all a very good unit by Pioneer.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Been rolling around with the 4200 in my TC for about a month now and love it. definitely a pretty nice eq haven't really played with it to much but i'm waiting on a new sub and component speakers before i really get into messing around to much. love being able to watch music videos while I'm stuck in traffic
Old 09-10-2010, 09:14 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by HookItUp7
Been rolling around with the 4200 in my TC for about a month now and love it. definitely a pretty nice eq haven't really played with it to much but i'm waiting on a new sub and component speakers before i really get into messing around to much. love being able to watch music videos while I'm stuck in traffic
^^^ .... just a little FYI... Car audio manufacturers are not allowed to sell a HU intended for mounting in the dash where the driver has access to it, for it to be able to perform video play-back while the car is in motion. That's illegal in every state in the country. However, with that being said... if you know what you're doing, you can bypass that safety feature. It's not hard to do, but just be aware that modifying the unit to do that is illegal too, and police can ticket you for it if they see video playback in the front dash of the car. I say front specifically b/c it's perfectly legal to have video playback in a vehicle as long as it's not viewable by the driver while the car is in motion.
I'm not jumpin' on ya if you want to modify it.. lots of people with dvd HU's do the bypass. I'm just giving you a friendly FYI incase you weren't aware that doing that is a ticketable traffic offense.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Never said anything about a bypass or watching while rolling around i was talking about in stand still traffic where no one is moving it's easy to put on ebrake. But with that said it is bypassed but i know better than to watch it while driving or even at all when it's dark out cause even with 20% tint it's easy to see your watching something and don't want the attention from cops or shady people who might want my stuff. Glad my car is parked on an Air Force base at night. Thanks for the heads up though I already knew it was illegal like i said i don't drive like that just makes those times when traffic doesn't move for 20 minutes at a time more enjoyable lol
Old 09-11-2010, 12:31 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by HookItUp7
Never said anything about a bypass or watching while rolling around i was talking about in stand still traffic where no one is moving it's easy to put on ebrake. But with that said it is bypassed but i know better than to watch it while driving or even at all when it's dark out cause even with 20% tint it's easy to see your watching something and don't want the attention from cops or shady people who might want my stuff. Glad my car is parked on an Air Force base at night. Thanks for the heads up though I already knew it was illegal like i said i don't drive like that just makes those times when traffic doesn't move for 20 minutes at a time more enjoyable lol

No worries man.. It's all good. I'm sure it's nice to be able to park it somewhere secure like that. Mine gets an insulated locked garage.

oh and also... I wasn't directing that first post just at you. lol. We all know that if it isn't said, that someone that doesn't realize it's illegal is gonna try it and wont get off easy like getting a ticket... but getting distracted by it and slamming into a bus full of kids or nuns.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just ordered this headunit myself.

hookitup7, did you need to buy a seperate cable to be able to use your ipod on the headunit?
Old 09-11-2010, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Yes and no They give you a usb extension that you can plug a normal ipod cable into which works for basic functions like playing the music and showing art work. With that being said the art work is slow to display and it won't play videos off the ipod. Supposedly if you get the separate pioneer cable for it you can watch videos straight off the ipod songs and art work all load faster and and it supposedly uncompressed the mp3s and makes it sound better. I don't have the extra cable yet but i do plan on getting it mainly for the videos and see if it does speed up loading any.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

now i don't know whether i should get the cable or not. guess i'll do a little more research.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:24 PM
5 Year Member

It just came in today and man does it look awesome even not turned on! I won't be installing it until the 22nd or so but I can't wait. I ordered the 29.99 iPod cable from Crutchfield which I believe was necessary but I am not sure still. Also, does anyone know if the EQ is adjustable for the front and back independently or can you only adjust the HPF for the front/rear independently. Thanks!

Edit: I just read above about the included cable and the added accessory. Is the album art really that much slower to appear? I don't really care about video streaming from my iPod but if the data is sluggish I will use the additional cable.

Last edited by scionguy87; 09-13-2010 at 09:26 PM. Reason: iPod cable info.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i bought a knockoff cable off ebay for $7 shipped. hopefully it works.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:56 PM

What all did you need to install this headunit????
Old 09-20-2010, 09:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

does the stock aux and usb connections work with aftermarket units?
Old 09-27-2010, 07:52 PM
5 Year Member

Installed this unit a few days ago and it really made my aftermarket 6.5"s and sub come alive! I had the bone stock Pioneer in my 11 xb2 and the audio seemed far away and distant, now it is in my face. The adjustable key lighting is nice because the orange almost matches the stock gauges perfectly.

I purchased the additional iPod cable for $30 and I am still noticing some slower than expected loading times for album art and jumping from track to track on my 160gb iPod classic. I am not using any video functions on the head unit since I don't show my car and don't have kids so I didn't even hook up the ebrake cable.

To install this unit you really just need soldering iron or crimp connectors (for the harness connection), a 10mm hex socket, and something to get underneath the surround piece to pop it off. If you are good at soldering you can have this installed in an hour easy. It took me and my friend much longer because we were diagnosing a problem with my subwoofer/amp, a line was pinched under the carpet causing my amp to only get 6v and it sounded like crap.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:29 AM

So I bought the AVH-P4200, I should have it in about a week, does anyone have it in their tC and can assure me that when you open it to load a CD or DVD the screen downt hit the bottom of the door or any part of the waterfall?
Old 10-19-2010, 04:17 AM

^ no it wont hit at all,,,,,,,, but does anyone with this head unit have any problems closing the water fall mines closes some times and other times it wont close at all any one know who to fix it or did some thing happen when i installed it
Old 10-19-2010, 04:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i love this unit. sound quality is awesome, looks fantastic, and has tons of features. like others have said, it's a little slow with the album art but i can live with it. if anyone wants to bypass the safety features and watch dvd;s while driving, search on youtube. all you need is a 12 volt relay.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:57 AM

--Naters, I'll let you know how mine opens and closes as soon as i put it in. if mine does smoothly, then you probably did something a little off. i should know within the next week when it all comes in. but im stoked that it doesn't hit, i was really nervous lol.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:15 PM

Just installed mine and I have the same problem. I'm not sure if it's the mounts or not, though. I've just about checked it 8 times and then checked it again so I doubt it's operator install error. If I could push it in about 1cm, it wouldn't hit it at all though. Thinking about just taking the door off altogether, but I really like the door