Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Taking apart the interior of a 2011, how to do it? - Now with pics!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 06:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Taking apart the interior of a 2011, how to do it? - Now with pics!

Here are the pictures of the final product: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/members/acidburnisu-153359-albums-interiot-paint-pictures-2216/

I haven't been able to paint the steering wheel pieces yet, hope to do those soon.

Last edited by AcidBurnISU; 10-18-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=190854
Old 09-13-2010, 06:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The walkthrough on Club Xb is not very good. It says "Let's see here, first take out the gauge (you can see the DIY for that) and pop out the center vents ( just four pink clips )" Where is the DIY for removing the gauge? I read every single title on their DIY section and not a single mentioned this. Also, that one is for the entire dash removal, but doesn't mention how to remove the pieces that I want to remove. I am confused....
Old 09-14-2010, 03:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Once you have the dash off flip it over and you can see the screws for the passenger vent. To remove the gauge cover, grab and pull, to remove the radio trim with the center vents, grab and pull. You see the trend? Many of the pieces on these cars are just clipped in. Once you get one or two pieces off it really becomes easy as the others are put in the same way.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ahh, grab and pull always makes me nervous. However, I am going to go home tonight and start pulling some pieces off! Thanks!
Old 09-15-2010, 05:09 PM

While I appreciate the effort people go through to make these tutorials, I agree that all the ones I've found for the xB interior are lacking. Some of the pictures are poor, and I'd have liked one specific addition, which is pictures of the backs of all the panels after removal, and I don't think that's too much to ask for. It's so much easier to remove panels if you know exactly where and how many of the clips there are, and what side of a panel it may be best to pry from. Perhaps all the panels here come straight off, but on the Tacoma I had previously, some pieces needed to be lifted on one side as there were clips that just went under another piece on the other side.

If you download the .PDF installation files for the alarm system and navigation system on TRD Sparks, they have diagrams that show the clip location on many of the dash parts, if that would help you.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xBray
While I appreciate the effort people go through to make these tutorials, I agree that all the ones I've found for the xB interior are lacking. Some of the pictures are poor, and I'd have liked one specific addition, which is pictures of the backs of all the panels after removal, and I don't think that's too much to ask for.
Unfortunately it really adds a lot of time to do a full documentation shoot of any disassembly or custom work job. I've got a couple up that I did of led swaps and lots of build work of custom parts I have made on another board and stopping to take full pics easily extended the amount of time needed by 100-150%, especially when you factor in the time needed to upload all the pics and do a full write up.

Originally Posted by xBray
If you download the .PDF installation files for the alarm system and navigation system on TRD Sparks, they have diagrams that show the clip location on many of the dash parts, if that would help you.
I wish more people would do a little searching and find info like this rather than just posting up and saying, 'tell me how to do this.' Put a little effort in first and then if you don't find anything post and ask for help.

I'm not slamming anyone in this thread as I know that both FroZone and AcidBurn did search first. Just sort of hit a pet peeve of mine.

BTW, I got to ask. AcidBurn is your screen name from Hackers?
Old 09-15-2010, 08:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

double post, yay database errors.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Technically, yes, I did. I have had this alias for probably 13 years now. It stuck because a friend of mine in high school told me my leg looked like I was burned by acid, go figure.

Also, thanks for the help and to those who do the write ups. I know it is a huge giant pain in the ___, and I don't mean to complain. I haven't worked on a car in a few years, and I don't get a lot of free time. So having those clear, concise write ups really helps when you have very little skill and even less free time.

A very nice woman pointed me a write up here: http://newscionxb.com/do_it_yourself...m-t2390.0.html

I also messaged one of the guys on Club XB, and this is what he said:
"here's how to pull out the gauge cluster:
http://www.customxbgauges.com/index....in_page=page_3
for the silver vent pieces; three of them are easy but the last one on the right is really hard and will require you remove the dash or at least pull it up and have a tiny phillips that you can get in there with to remove the trim. The center ones are screwed in behind the radio trim piece. the left side is screwed in behind the gauge trim piece.
Here's another link for the shifter and ac controls:
http://www.customxbgauges.com/index....in_page=page_4
the silver piece around the mirror will come off if you remove the kick panel and push the dash up."

I hope this helps others. I know it helps me.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That write up on NewScionxB is pretty good. I just don't visit that site as much as I should anymore.

The other two are from Jason (scvscions), the same one who did the write ups on ClubxB. He is also customxBgauges and probably the first person to ever take a 2nd gen xB apart. It took him half a day after purchasing his, right after they came out, to strip it down completely. I'm surprised he waited that long.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:01 AM
SL Member

The search feature on NewScionxB hasn't been working for some time so it's not so easy to find the posts with DIY's and pics.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ran out to my car when I had a few free minutes (couldn't sit at my computer anymore).

Good news is I got both shifter pieces off, and the gauge cluster piece off. I thought I was going to break them.

Bad news, No matter how hard I push, pull, up down out whatever, the radio cluster will not come off.

I am clearly doing something wrong, but based on the DIYs, it should pop right off.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AcidBurnISU
Ran out to my car when I had a few free minutes (couldn't sit at my computer anymore).

Good news is I got both shifter pieces off, and the gauge cluster piece off. I thought I was going to break them.

Bad news, No matter how hard I push, pull, up down out whatever, the radio cluster will not come off.

I am clearly doing something wrong, but based on the DIYs, it should pop right off.
I used the a/c vents to help get a grip. Just be careful not to break the vents themselves.

EDIT: I put my thumb down into the a/c vent and left my fingers on the outside, touching the trim piece. does that make sense?
Old 09-17-2010, 01:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Scream: Yes, it makes sense. I put both thumbs into one vent and pulled from one side, then the other.

I managed to get everything off except 2 pieces. I couldn't figure out how to get the kick plate off, and I didn't have the time or energy to take the whole dash off in order to get to the passengers vent. I only managed to break one small black piece off too. Though I have NO idea how it came off, or even where it came from.

I dont know how it is on the 2008-2010, but on the 2011 you have to lift up the dash about half an inch to an inch to get the environmental controls completely off. It was a giant pain in the butt.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can anyone share how to take off the piece on the door with the hand hold and window controls on it? I want to take that off of all 4 doors. I undid the screw and pulled up on it, but it didn't want to come off, and I didn't want to break it if there was another screw holding it on.

Any advice/help?
Old 09-19-2010, 05:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, the good news is I got everything off, finally. The hardest part was the kickplate piece. My wife ended up helping me get the dash off (she worked in a garage in college, thank God). The C pillars I simply could not get off, my hands were too big. she came out and did it in, literally 30 seconds. I felt kind of dumb. I held up the dash while she removed the kick plate piece and the passenger's air vent. the dash is kind of a pain to get off, but now that I understand how everything fits together and comes off, if I ever need to take it apart again it should be cake. Currently waiting for the paint to dry so she can spray them with the gloss (also thank God that she is a good painter and all around artist)
Old 09-20-2010, 02:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alright, everything is all painted and installed back in the car. My advice, don't try to put it all in at night, because it is an ultra pain in the butt. Also, more advice: don't grab the adhesion promoter and spray it on after you clear coat it, thinking that you grabbed the clear coat can. It turns everything white, and youll spend a few hours figuring out what happened and how to fix it (my wife did this, and thankfully figured out what she did).

Thanks to everyone for the links, advice, and PMs. I greatly appreciate it.

Now... does anyone have a DIY/advice for removing the door panel pieces with the window controls.... :-)
Old 09-20-2010, 03:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm. i swear i had a DIY on that somewhere. but it works like this.

Where the door handle is. Take a flat had and pop that lil cover off. there is a screw behind there. and take out the screw that connects the window control panel to the door. Then literally pull on that paneling and you will here popping. start from the top btw.

The door lock mechanisms will be right there a green and white wire. pop those off, then reach under and push the window control panel area up. so it will seperate from teh door. then you have to take the screws (3) that are holding that window control area.. after that. just pull it and it will just come off. the driver side is the most annyoing side. hope that wasn't confusing i might make a vid later
Old 09-21-2010, 01:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Slight change to that FroZone. You need to remove the screw in the door pull right behind the window switches before trying to pull the door panel off. It and the screw behind the door release are the only two screws on the whole door that need to be removed. Once the screw in the door pull is removed you can yank the whole assembly with the door locks and window switched off the panel.

Ah nevermind all that. Here is the link to changing the leds in the switches that I did a while back. It shows how to remove the switches.

http://www.clubxb.com/forums/f19/diy...ing-20770.html
Old 09-22-2010, 05:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

This will get it done quicker.

Quick Reply: Taking apart the interior of a 2011, how to do it? - Now with pics!