Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Confused about speaker adapters

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 03:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Confused about speaker adapters

Okay, I've searched both this site and the 'net, and I'm confused about speaker installation in the xB2.

I see that adapters are needed, at least that's what I gather from the posts I've read. Crutchfield only lists them for the rear, Scosche told me to use their universal adapter even though they have xB-specific ones for the rear, and everyone on the boards seems to either rip the factory speaker apart or make their own out of MDF.

I found two different companies on eBay that offer speaker adapters...one offers them for the front, one for the rear, but neither of them carry both.

Can someone give me a part number, or at least confirm that I need both front and rear adapters to install aftermarket speakers? I'm running MB Quart 6.5s both front and rear.

Thanks!!
Old 09-16-2010, 07:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You defintely need adapters for both the front and rear speakers. The original speaker is part of the mount so you either have to cut the stock speaker out of the mount if you want to re-use it or get adapters. They are the same size in both the front and rear. I've made them out of MDF most of time, or if you want to cheat you can do what I did. After taking them out I cut out some more metal to fit 8s in the doors, they'll clear no problem as the window does not come down behind the speaker at all.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks so much for the info! I'll find the cheapest set and order two pair, one for the front and one for the rear!