Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Remote engine start deal!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 12:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Remote engine start deal!

I just ordered a remote engine start kit from TRD Sparks for only $170. That's half price and a steal IMO. It's gonna be so nice to get in a warm car this winter.

http://www.trdsparks.com/displaypart...&parts_id=1542
Old 10-05-2010, 12:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Do you have to have the factory alarm to make that work? I thought I read somewhere that you did?
Old 10-05-2010, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by YELOSUB
Do you have to have the factory alarm to make that work? I thought I read somewhere that you did?
I don't think so but you do need remote keyless entry and a AT. Sorry MT guys. Installation is PnP but looks like a PITA with 15 connections and a hood switch. The oem alarm was a PITA to install too.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

nope keyless entry is all you need... i got one for sale too tim brand new in the box....
Old 10-05-2010, 03:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Originally Posted by phatchef
nope keyless entry is all you need... i got one for sale too tim brand new in the box....
Right here it says it unless I'm reading it wrong:

Preset your radio, heater controls, and even air conditioner with this remote start upgrade and have your car ready to go when you are. Your xB must already be equipped with a Toyota VIP Security System to use this great new Toyota accessory upgrade. This feature adds the ability to start your xB from 80 feet away or shut off your engine using your security system remote feature. Upgrade your existing Scion VIP security system with this Genuine Scion xB Remote Engine Starting system. The Scion remote engine start system allows vehicle owners to start the engine before entering the vehicle—as well as to activate the air conditioner, heater, defroster and defogger functions—so owners can have their vehicle ready and waiting with a comfortable interior temperature. And, because it’s fully integrated into the vehicle’s existing factory security/keyless entry system, there’s no need for an additional remote. The remote engine starter is operated by pushing the “lock” button on the keyless entry fob in a quick, three-step sequence: (1) push and release “lock” button; (2) push and release “lock” button again; (3) then push and hold “lock” button for three seconds—and the engine starts. The engine can also be stopped remotely by pushing the “unlock” button once, or by pushing and holding the lock button for two seconds or more. Enables owners to start the engine before entering the vehicle. Designed to integrate seamlessly with the vehicle’s existing factory security/keyless entry system—no need for an additional remote; in comparison, aftermarket systems require an additional remote unit. Engine starts with quick, three-step sequence using keyless entry fob. Engine turns off automatically if the vehicle isn’t put in gear within 10 minutes of starting. Can activate air conditioner, heater, defroster and defogger functions (when pre-set before exiting the vehicle), so owners can have their vehicle ready and waiting with a comfortable interior temperature. Enhances comfort and convenience—especially on cold winter mornings or hot summer afternoons. Premium accessory adds to the vehicle’s resale value
Old 10-05-2010, 04:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Designed to integrate seamlessly with the vehicle’s existing factory security/keyless entry system—no need for an additional remote;
From the Toyota installation instructions:

Conflicts:

Do not install into Manual Transmission Vehicles or
Vehicles without RKE systems

Hmmm... it sounds like this hinges on the definition of Toyota VIP Security System. Is it the security system with glass break detection or simply the remote keyless entry. I'm not sure but since I already have the add-on security system, I'm not worried.

I called TRD Sparks to ask about compatibility and they didn't mention anything about needing the security system but my question was if it conflicted with the security system.

Last edited by ScionFred; 10-05-2010 at 04:42 AM.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

dang i gotta go the dealership in the am to ask about if it will fit without the alarm
Old 10-05-2010, 05:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry for the dumbness but is this only for XBs? When I try to search for the part for my TC at TRDSparks, it wont come up unless I have selected the XB from the homepage.

Also is VIP security system required?

Thanks.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Cisco_TeamShogun
sorry for the dumbness but is this only for XBs? When I try to search for the part for my TC at TRDSparks, it wont come up unless I have selected the XB from the homepage.

Also is VIP security system required?

Thanks.
The best advice I can offer you is to call TRD Sparks and ask them. I don't have the answers you're looking for.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:46 AM

The installation instructions for this show how to install it both if the alarm is installed and if it isn't, which would indicate it does not require the alarm.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^Good catch.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

yea talked to a guy at the dealership it will work with or without the vip alarm
Old 11-05-2010, 05:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default remote start

you dont need the alarm to install it i had a remote start n my 09 but i didnt like it you dont know when it is on and range is very short , not only that but the car turns off when you unlock the doors ..
Old 11-05-2010, 08:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that factory remote start is a joke...when you unlock/open the doors, the car shuts off. Defeats the whole purpose.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AndreyCo
that factory remote start is a joke...when you unlock/open the doors, the car shuts off. Defeats the whole purpose.
At least for me, the purpose of the remote start is so that the car is warmed up in winter or cooled down in summer before I get it. I don't mind inserting and turning the key to start it.

There is no way I'd let some kid at a stereo shop butcher my wiring to install some crap aftermarket remote start even if it did offer the added convenience of letting a thief slim-jim a door and drive off in my already running car.

Having said all this, I agree that it sucks to have the engine shut off when you unlock the doors but I think I see why Toyota did it that way.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I bought the Toyota remote start a lot cheaper at ScionPartsPeople.com:

http://scionpartspeople.com/SearchPr...ecurity+System

Anyway, I was installing it in my car last night and it rained on me! So I have to wait 'til next week to get it done.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pyroman131
I bought the Toyota remote start a lot cheaper at ScionPartsPeople.com:

http://scionpartspeople.com/SearchPr...ecurity+System

Anyway, I was installing it in my car last night and it rained on me! So I have to wait 'til next week to get it done.
Damb! I could've saved $9 at ScionPartsPeople.com!

I haven't installed mine yet but it looks to be as much of a PITA as the PnP alarm system was. After you figure it out, you can come over and install mine.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred

There is no way I'd let some kid at a stereo shop butcher my wiring to install some crap aftermarket remote start even if it did offer the added convenience of letting a thief slim-jim a door and drive off in my already running car.
As soon as you hit the brakes (to shift into drive) the car shuts off ;)
Old 12-01-2010, 10:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AndreyCo
As soon as you hit the brakes (to shift into drive) the car shuts off ;)
How is that any better than shutting off when you unlock the doors? Ideally I'd like to start the car remotely, use the keyless entry to turn off the alarm, unlock the doors and then drive off without any fuss.

Anyway, the scion remote start may not be the best but for $170 PnP with no tapping, splicing, soldering, etc., I'll live with it. I'm getting too old to spend much time laying on my back in the footwell splicing and soldering wires.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:23 PM
DL
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've had the remote engine start since I bought the car in May 2007, Works great. I love it...

Quick Reply: Remote engine start deal!