Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Resonator Delete.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 05:32 PM
SKI
SL Member

Default Resonator Delete.

I have a 2010 XB Release series, it comes with the trd muffler. But the resonator keeps it too quiet. I don't want to go to the exhaust shop yet and have then cut it, i am looking for a bolt in stainless pipe or smaller resonator. Has anyone heard anything yet?
Old 10-06-2010, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Originally Posted by SKI
I have a 2010 XB Release series, it comes with the trd muffler. But the resonator keeps it too quiet. I don't want to go to the exhaust shop yet and have then cut it, i am looking for a bolt in stainless pipe or smaller resonator. Has anyone heard anything yet?

I been waiting for 3 years for someone to make one!!! Still no luck! and i def don't want a shop to just cut it off.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just cut it and have them weld in new pipe.
i havnt seen any clips of this set up but on the tc people with an aftermarket header usually have to much rasp they add more resonators but with just the axle back i dont think u would have this problem
Old 10-06-2010, 06:37 PM
SKI
SL Member

That sucks, cuz i head an xb the other day that had the resonator cut off and ran a glass pack into dual outlets sound's awesome. If i could dump that resonator i would be good, don't want a header that deletes the converter so i don't need the resonator. Maybe 4th year is the charm.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ski

i have a strup header and had a 3" header back exaust system

fyi the header deletes the cat and the thing you refer to as a resonator
is actually a second cat , we cut it at the top

the mufler shop refused to remove either piece citing they would get fined

but i put the system on and i can tell you now it was way too loud, i never got stopped or fine'ed for it but it is defenately way to loud in and out of the car

it made a good bit of top end power but lost power on the bottom end

as for inserting a glass pack, dont know what you were hearing on the car you mentioned but under those conditions for our car it will still be way loud and once that glass starts to break up in that pack it will be a complete nightmare

without a header and still utilizing the first cat you would probably be ok with a glass pack and the axel back JMO

but im still waiting to see someone release a 2 1/2" header back system thats not too fr--kin loud
Old 10-07-2010, 01:56 AM
SKI
SL Member

This is my first brand new car so i want to do all bolt ons on this car. All my other stuff was custom and it just turns to crap down the line, i want it to bolt up in the factory spots. Hope they come out with something in the next year.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:40 AM

right now im running weapon r headers and s-pipe, with the tc hks hi-power custom fitted, and a fujita cai. im thinking of going back to stock headers and s-pipe and switching to short ram.

should i lose the second cat? i dont mind cutting it out. im just wondering what the difference in performace/sound will be.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

xb eing that will work but i never set mine up that way cant tell you how loud it will be i do know without both it was loud as heck and that was the crx 3" exhaust i had from the header back it is a direct fit but it was off a little in a couple of places but im lowered and the mid section back to the axel was too low it drug on me not lowered it would have been ok
Old 10-12-2010, 11:11 PM

okay for sure. thanks for the input. my muffler guy suggested I dont go straight pipe also. if you know anyone looking for weapon r headers/s-pipe let me know.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i know this is oldbut did you ever got the resonator cut off?
Old 09-22-2011, 07:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For you people that insist on calling a single header "headers", please be assured you have only installed one on this engine. It is incapable of having "headers" installed -- not enough cylinder banks.

Moving on, from post after post on multiple forums it's pretty clear removal of the "scuba" (which is a resonator and cat combined) is a bad idea for an N/A engine in terms of noise. By all means experiment with "scuba" backs and headers, but don't presume removal of the "scuba" will get you somewhere desirable.

My two cents !
Old 09-22-2011, 07:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

do they make performance scuba?
Old 09-22-2011, 08:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

FWIW -- I'm only aware of one "scuba"! If anyone learns of a reasonable alternative for an N/A engine, I'm interesting in learning about it, but given emissions is important to most state vehicle inspections, I'm not expecting delete of the primary resonator/cat to be beneficial . As far as sound is concerned, the OE "scuba" typically makes all the difference! However, moving to F/I is yet another proposition !
Old 09-22-2011, 03:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I replaced my scuba with a vibrant ultraquiet resonator.....it was SO loud, that I went back to the same shop and had them re-weld the scuba back in the next day...

This exhaust includes a cat delete with a "cherry bomb" type resonator. A friend has one on his xb2, and it wasn't too loud.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/08-09...item588fa8f9de
Old 09-22-2011, 10:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TrevorS
FWIW -- I'm only aware of one "scuba"! If anyone learns of a reasonable alternative for an N/A engine, I'm interesting in learning about it, but given emissions is important to most state vehicle inspections, I'm not expecting delete of the primary resonator/cat to be beneficial . As far as sound is concerned, the OE "scuba" typically makes all the difference! However, moving to F/I is yet another proposition !
You can use a performance catalytic converter (the best ones are $$$ because more silver makes them work better) from places like JEGS http://www.jegs.com/pt/Catalytic+Con...FQdzgwodq10OeQ

they also have performance mufflers. I used a Moroso spiral-flow on my EVO 8 and it sounded nice most of the time. It did get a little sharp at WOT around 7500rpm.
http://www.jegs.com/p/Moroso/Moroso-...FQx3gwodKSgxcg

If you put the muffler where the scuba is now you can get resonance like the old muscle cars get. Long pipe after the muffler rumbles without the harshness.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I forgot to mention, I also have an aftermarket header installed, so I don't have the first cat to help reduce noise.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheotherBMan
You can use a performance catalytic converter (the best ones are $$$ because more silver makes them work better) from places like JEGS http://www.jegs.com/pt/Catalytic+Con...FQdzgwodq10OeQ

they also have performance mufflers. I used a Moroso spiral-flow on my EVO 8 and it sounded nice most of the time. It did get a little sharp at WOT around 7500rpm.
http://www.jegs.com/p/Moroso/Moroso-...FQx3gwodKSgxcg

If you put the muffler where the scuba is now you can get resonance like the old muscle cars get. Long pipe after the muffler rumbles without the harshness.
Thanks for the suggestions! I installed a 2.5" downpipe and recently a Magnaflow ceramic cat in my '90 GSX, but left the rear piping and resonator stock (2"). It's working well with the 14b turbo (~300HP given my other mods, and yes, I realize that's tame ). I've focused on low-to-mid torque with my xB, and the back pressure from the 1.75" "scuba" exit is probably helpful for that. However, people with F/I or are racing N/A would probably benefit from that higher flow -- thanks again !
Old 09-23-2011, 01:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by Roller_Toaster
I replaced my scuba with a vibrant ultraquiet resonator.....it was SO loud, that I went back to the same shop and had them re-weld the scuba back in the next day...

This exhaust includes a cat delete with a "cherry bomb" type resonator. A friend has one on his xb2, and it wasn't too loud.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/08-09...item588fa8f9de
Now, I wonder how it would sound with the OEM exhaust manifold/header/whateveryouwanttocallit and an aftermarket catalytic converter. That eBay setup doesn't sound bad at all. I have a couple people here that have been running it, and it sounds great for the price.

Hell, even the CX Racing setup isn't too bad. It's loud. Really loud. Aaaand fitment isn't quite on par.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For you people that insist on calling a single header "headers", please be assured you have only installed one on this engine. It is incapable of having "headers" installed -- not enough cylinder banks.

Moving on, from post after post on multiple forums it's pretty clear removal of the "scuba" (which is a resonator and cat combined) is a bad idea for an N/A engine in terms of noise. By all means experiment with "scuba" backs and headers, but don't presume removal of the "scuba" will get you somewhere desirable.

My two cents !
Trevor, looks like your two cents aint worth a single cent...
Old 09-23-2011, 08:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the suggestions! I installed a 2.5" downpipe and recently a Magnaflow ceramic cat in my '90 GSX, but left the rear piping and resonator stock (2"). It's working well with the 14b turbo (~300HP given my other mods, and yes, I realize that's tame ). I've focused on low-to-mid torque with my xB, and the back pressure from the 1.75" "scuba" exit is probably helpful for that. However, people with F/I or are racing N/A would probably benefit from that higher flow -- thanks again !
Tame is good, it lives much longer.

Quick Reply: Resonator Delete.