Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Rough idle after shorting battery terminals

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 12:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Rough idle after shorting battery terminals

I was installing the battery fuse for my amp power wire. It was the side of the fuse that didn't have the fuse that got shorted, so basically imagine a wire touching directly from positive to negative. Not very long and it just made some burn marks on the terminal and on the other half of the fuse terminal.

Now my car idles really rough sometimes. Like it's on the verge of dying. I plugged in my OBDII bluetooth scanner to try to pick up the actual idle RPM but I couldn't replicate it. Just happened today and happened several times while driving.

Any ideas???

TIA
Old 10-26-2010, 01:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

any fuses blown?
Old 10-26-2010, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by x_Batman_x
any fuses blown?
I stopped checking after I pulled about 6 of them. Lazy... All lights and accessories work properly. On my NSX we had a main fuse that would blow if the battery terminals were reversed but that wouldn't even allow the car to start.

My car starts, runs and then it idles roughly. I just spent the last 30 minutes trying to recreate the rough idle but it seems to be gone.

Maybe it just went away like some rough idle problems do? It seems to have stopped after I connected my bluetooth OBDII scanner with my Android phone.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

might have been the ECU recalibrating. Whenever you disconnect the batter the ECU needs to relearn all its fuel trims which sometimes results in a rough idle.

If your fuses are fine and you didnt roast anywires your probably fine, if anything you likely took some life off the battery :-/
Old 10-26-2010, 03:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Try disconnecting the negative terminal for a few minutes then hooking it back up. Let it warm up to normal operating temperature and take it for a drive. It'll have to relearn idle characteristics and stuff. Our Sienna van doesn't idle right after you disconnect the battery until you let it warm up and drive it around. Probably has to do something with the default ECU characteristics not being used to all the worn sensors/components and needing time to learn and compensate for them.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think both of you guys are on the money. I drove it around again and it was fine. It probably just relearned. Thanks!
Old 10-26-2010, 05:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did an oil change a few weeks ago and had disconnected my battery for the ECU to relearn since I was in higher elevation and my car idled very rough for quite a few minutes. I thought maybe I had overfilled so I drained a little oil and it still idled poorly. After a few minutes it all of a sudden went back to normal and has been fine since. Very weird as its never done that before. Now close to 70k miles.