Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Stereo advice for new buyer

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 07:04 AM

Default Stereo advice for new buyer

My 2000 Saturn LS2 (don't laugh) is gasping its last (after 300,000 miles).
I need a new car and soon and i think the XB is it! At least I hope it is.
I'm undecided on the stereo. There are three choices, stock, Premium Alpine and the navigation unit.
My first inclination is the premium but i am reading it's basically the stock with a touchscreen and neither is that great. Nav is not important for me (i use my iphone when i need directions) but i would go the extra mile if the stereo is worth it. So is it?
Thanks for any thoughts on this.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Go stock, and get an aftermarket upgrade. You will get raped at the dealership on their radios, and you can get higher quality units with more features for less money elsewhere.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:30 PM

That sounds good but i have concerns about connectivity of the usb ports built into the car and the controls on the steering wheel. And thanks!
Old 11-03-2010, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Most units have USB ports that you can add an extension to, and add, say your ipod to your glove compartment. The steering wheel controls can be converted using a PAC-XXX unit, google PAC-SWI and then look at the different options to see which one works for your vehicle and radio combo.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, any decent aftermarket radio will have a USB input. You can get blank out plates from the parts dept. and cover up the factory ports. Aftermarket radios will be cheaper, or have more features for same price
Old 11-04-2010, 03:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Go with the stock and then hit me up, we can get you an aftermarket that will sound a lot better, have more features, work with your factory steering wheel controls, and still let you connect tons of things through USB for less than what you would pay for the factory options.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Definitely stock! As to NAV, get a Tomtom and add a celeb voice for fun. Seriously, save your money and get the stock system and then do research on an aftermarket head. The PAC interface for the steer wheel control is neat, but I find that gotten along very well without the controls. Take your time and haunt the local shops (if their good) for a HU with the features, control layout and use and looks you like.

Oh, and even though you may like your Scion dealership, don't get ANYTHING extra from them, including extra service warranty, alarm, rims, lights, floor mats or detailing. They make loads of money off them, and you can get them for less (even with installation) at specialty businesses.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea for nav use ur cell or tom tom i did get the alpine upgrade its nice
Old 11-16-2010, 04:25 PM

Happy with the Alpine upgrade. The steering wheel control is excellent. It allows changing of function so can quickly browse FM1, FM2, CD, ipod, AM and change the stations. And oh, yeah change the volume.
Stereo sounds nice too. Might go for better speakers/
Old 11-24-2010, 05:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hingyfan
Happy with the Alpine upgrade. The steering wheel control is excellent. It allows changing of function so can quickly browse FM1, FM2, CD, ipod, AM and change the stations. And oh, yeah change the volume.
Stereo sounds nice too. Might go for better speakers/
did you get the one with nav or without?
Old 11-24-2010, 10:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I went with the base radio on my 2008 and installed a Kenwood about a year later. Since the original didn't have USB, I replaced the storage console connector panel with my own USB and Aux panel. Before the head unit change, I replaced the door speakers and installed needed door panel damping to allow the new drivers to work properly, but I found the pillar tweeters worked just fine given the other changes (absolutely need the door panel damping -- otherwise resonances mess up the mid and upper frequencies, not the tweeters fault).

If you want to do it yourself, makes sense to do some research first, but better sound is definitely available than what factory options provide. Last thought, the steering wheel audio controls work most smoothly with the factory radio options, but I installed the PAC-SWI and it works well enough with my Kenwood.

Name:  XBblackJackPanel_1.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  41.6 KB
Old 11-24-2010, 11:33 PM

The real weak link in the Scion audio system are the speakers. It doesn't matter whether you get the Stock, Alpine upgrade or Nav system, you still get the same piece of crap Pioneer speakers. I got the Alpine upgade and immediately replaced the front speakers with a pair of Focal 6.5 inch component speakers. the difference was astounding!!! I did not add a aftermarket amp, the Alpine has plenty of power to drive an efficient pair of aftermarket speakers. Since the existing wiring was used, there are no warranty issues. Now if JL Audio would ever confirm whether their Stealth Box fits in a 2011 xB (Hey JL customer service, I'm still waiting for the email answer you promised 5 months ago), I can finish my audio system.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:11 AM

Default agree Upgrade the speakers

Originally Posted by tedwash
The real weak link in the Scion audio system are the speakers. It doesn't matter whether you get the Stock, Alpine upgrade or Nav system, you still get the same piece of crap Pioneer speakers. I got the Alpine upgade and immediately replaced the front speakers with a pair of Focal 6.5 inch component speakers. the difference was astounding!!! I did not add a aftermarket amp, the Alpine has plenty of power to drive an efficient pair of aftermarket speakers. Since the existing wiring was used, there are no warranty issues. Now if JL Audio would ever confirm whether their Stealth Box fits in a 2011 xB (Hey JL customer service, I'm still waiting for the email answer you promised 5 months ago), I can finish my audio system.
I have to agree w/ the poster here and get the new speakers. I have the alpine system w/o the nav and I like it fine. I used to have the base stereo in my xD but I like the touchscreen its good for plugging the rear view camera. I prefer a aftermarket NAV for better features. "smart mirror". The stealth box will fit in the xB however you cannot use the cargo cover. There is a subwoofer that is made - check w/ the parts dept. it fits in the right pocket of the hatch. 145-L I think.

Enjoy the xB.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Get a aftermarket HU and go look for better speakers. Even though it may cost you a little more, try to buy from a good local independent dealer. Take a couple CDs of wildly varying music (from acoustic to hip hop and everything in between) and take the time to listen to the sound of the speakers, not the music coming from the speakers. Start with their very best then work your way down to a price point you can barely afford. Buying on price alone (cheap) sounds bad the 2nd day you have the speakers.