Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Power Cable 2011

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 06:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Power Cable 2011

Hi I'm trying to put some amp's and im wondering from where i could pull the power cable from the engine compartment?
My 09 had a plug on the drivers side but this doesn't help or suggestions please!!!! BTW dont really want to cut the main harnesses boot ,
thank you....
Old 11-12-2010, 06:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've got my power cable coming through the far left wire harness boot (as looking under the hood). The power cable runs along the firewall, to the fuse holder mounted over the driver's shock tower, then to the battery. The cable is covered in split loom from fuse holder to harness boot.

To make a clean hole in the boot, use a length of brass tubing about 1/16" smaller than your cable. Sharpen the end of the tube with a file or sand paper until it's sharp, then twist the tube into the boot to cut the hole. Then get inside and "drill" from the other side and slide a coat hanger wire through the hole and into the engine compartment. Cut the cable end so it's 45 degrees (allows easier entry into the hole) and firmly tape your power cable to the coat hanger wire. Wipe the cable down with silicone and spray silicone onto the boot. Push the cable into the hole until it comes out into the engine compartment. Go to the engine compartment and pull the rest of the cable through (go ahead and wipe more silicone on the cable as you go). Secure the cable to the firewall, attach it to your fuse holder. Notice I didn't say "finally attach it to your battery." That comes only after everything else is installed.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

got it done just above the gas pedal where the main wire harness is :D
Old 11-17-2010, 05:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I thought about that one too, but decided on the passenger side harness boot to avoid having to work with the steering wheel in the way. Bad enough that you spine has to be as supple as a gymnast to work in the car!
Old 11-17-2010, 10:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i was looking at it too but the power cable would be too long you can look at my set up pictures on the audio section im the last post there
Old 11-18-2010, 12:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Passenger side firewall boot is the place. Less stuff to work around and possibly break.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by buickid
Passenger side firewall boot is the place. Less stuff to work around and possibly break.
no really but the way i see it is i had the cable from our old 09 xb and didnt wanted to route it from the pass side if i would it done that it wouldn't had reach and that cable aint cheap so it work out for me
Old 11-18-2010, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I ran my power cable through the main boot on the driver side it you get under there and look at it there is a hole on the bottom of it through the outside in inside the engine bay it has a nipple there what I did is cut that nipple off put a piece of thick wire through made a hole in my power cable with a drill threaded the power cable like a needle and pulled it through... a bit of liquid wrench for lube and pulled it through its nice and tight so no water, dirt or noise will get in. It was a pain to get it through took me almost 2 hours.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 11ScionXb
I ran my power cable through the main boot on the driver side it you get under there and look at it there is a hole on the bottom of it through the outside in inside the engine bay it has a nipple there what I did is cut that nipple off put a piece of thick wire through made a hole in my power cable with a drill threaded the power cable like a needle and pulled it through... a bit of liquid wrench for lube and pulled it through its nice and tight so no water, dirt or noise will get in. It was a pain to get it through took me almost 2 hours.
I was going to do the same but after over 1 hr i said f(*& it and jut put a knife to make the hole bigger and then seal it with hot glue. I'm going to wait and keep an eye on it to see it there is any water or anything around it
it so i think im doing some shower caulking all over it :D
Old 11-19-2010, 04:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by krazymarine
no really but the way i see it is i had the cable from our old 09 xb and didnt wanted to route it from the pass side if i would it done that it wouldn't had reach and that cable aint cheap so it work out for me
They changed the placement of the firewall hole from the 09 to the 11?
Old 11-19-2010, 06:40 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was going to do the same but after over 1 hr i said f(*& it and jut put a knife to make the hole bigger and then seal it with hot glue. I'm going to wait and keep an eye on it to see it there is any water or anything around it
it so i think im doing some shower caulking all over it :D

Yeah I almost gave up as well... but I had already cut the boot so I had to make it go in there one way or another. You should be ok as long as it makes a seal; the shower caulking should do good or just use some good ol' silicone.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by buickid
They changed the placement of the firewall hole from the 09 to the 11?
dont know but the first time we paid best buy to do it and the drill a hole n the firewall