Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Ruff idle

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 10:33 PM
SL Member

Default Ruff idle

It's weird but sometimes it idles really weird when I'm parked and when it reverse it almost stalled out.. What could cause this?.. I'm at 50100.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

maybe a bad car battery
Old 11-21-2010, 12:00 AM
SL Member

I don't think that would do it, I have no other problems.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DJTonkas_xB
It's weird but sometimes it idles really weird when I'm parked and when it reverse it almost stalled out.. What could cause this?.. I'm at 50100.
What does "really weird" mean -- can you be more specific !
Old 11-21-2010, 06:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you run top tier gas or whatever is the cheapest? How often do you add fuel injector cleaner? Cleaned your MAF sensor yet?

Your symptoms could be caused by a lot of things but it sounds like you just need a basic tune-up. Cleaning your fuel injectors and MAF sensor would be a good place to start. If you haven't changed you air filter by now, it's overdue.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:58 AM
SL Member

Well it runs rough I don't know any other way to explain it...

But the air filter hasn't been changed in 10,000 ha didnt even think of that.. I wanna get the TRD CAI but don't got 3 bills
Old 11-22-2010, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well it runs rough I don't know any other way to explain it...

But the air filter hasn't been changed in 10,000 ha didnt even think of that.. I wanna get the TRD CAI but don't got 3 bills
I wouldn't expect 10K on the air filter to be a problem unless you drive in dusty conditions, but it's certainly worth checking. Does it seem to miss a lot on a particular cylinder, or does it just seem like it's running too slow, which will make it feel rougher and also more likely to stall from a standing start (either direction). Does it miss on acceleration? (Fred raises good issues.)
Old 11-22-2010, 06:45 PM
SL Member

Ok what's a MAF sensor?... And yea I'll check my air filter.. I run regular gas but I can run better grades, what do y'all put in yours?
Old 11-22-2010, 06:45 PM
SL Member

It doesn't seems to miss at all, it is getting really cold around here
Could that be it? I doubt it.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You dont need to run premium grades of gasoline, 87 is fine, but make sure you're using quality gasoline. And MAF is Mass Air Flow (sensor). It can be delicate, so don't be rough with it.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It doesn't seems to miss at all, it is getting really cold around here
Could that be it? I doubt it.
Temperature shouldn't really affect engine smoothness and if it isn't missing, then is it stumbling when you move from a standing start (either direction)? Does it smooth out more once the engine has warmed up? If rough, but not missing, it could easily be the injectors and or MAF and or air filter and or fuel filter need cleaning, could even be an O2 sensor issue -- has the check engine indicator illuminated?

As said, poor quality gasoline could be a problem, but also as said, you shouldn't have to move to a higher octane, just a more reliable brand. Try putting 8oz of Sea Foam Motor Treatment into the tank immediately before your next fill (don't have the tank near empty when you do this -- say quarter full). If the roughness goes away over the course of that tank, then it was dirty injectors.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default idle

something to think about the low octane fuels have at least 10% alcohol maybe more depending on your area. Well that gas produce's water and will start to gel if left to set 2-3 weeks that's a fact it's on the net.

I had the same problem I used Lucas injector cleaner and put some 93 octane fuel in it has less alcohol. Problem solved
Make sure you read the labels on the additive because some has alcohol in it(seafoam) just make's the problem worse.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:35 AM
SL Member

Ten Feathers imma try your idea... Cause my car doesn't do it all the time. Every once and a while it does.. The MAF sensor I will be replacing as a precautionary measure with the TRD CAI.

No check engine light is illuminated or anything. Imma try Lucas fuel injector cleaner and a full tank of 98.. Thanks fellas
Old 11-23-2010, 05:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Before spending ~ $150 for a new MAS, you should try cleaning yours with a $1 worth of a $5 can of MAS cleaner. If you actually needed a new MAS you'd have a CEL for it.

Also, by "top tier" gas I meant gas with a superior additive package than the minimum additive package required by the feds. Top tier gas has additives to keep your fuel system cleaner. The alternative is to run cheaper generic gas and add cleaning additives to it every oil change. You can look up "top tier gas" on google, bing, et al or not, your choice. Octane rating is an entirely different thing and 98 generic won't keep your fuel system any cleaner than 87 Shell, etc.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tenfeathers
something to think about the low octane fuels have at least 10% alcohol maybe more depending on your area. Well that gas produce's water and will start to gel if left to set 2-3 weeks that's a fact it's on the net.

I had the same problem I used Lucas injector cleaner and put some 93 octane fuel in it has less alcohol. Problem solved
Make sure you read the labels on the additive because some has alcohol in it(seafoam) just make's the problem worse.
Seafoam contains petroleum distillates, where do you get the "alcohol" from?
Old 11-24-2010, 09:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TrevorS
Seafoam contains petroleum distillates, where do you get the "alcohol" from?
go here and scroll down to bottom http://www.fuel-testers.com/is_gas_a..._e10_list.html
Old 11-24-2010, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Shows additives' with alcohol

go here and scroll down to bottom
http://www.fuel-testers.com/is_gas_a..._e10_list.html
Old 11-24-2010, 10:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tenfeathers
I see, it apparently contains Isopropyl alcohol, however, it doesn't absorb water and so won't jell. I've used it as an intake system cleaner and fuel system cleaner (gas additive) and it did a great job in both cases.

Last edited by TrevorS; 11-25-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I used to be a diehard Seafoam user until I started having prolems with my motorcycle & yard equipment , that's when i figured it out and started using Lucas my problem went away with 50 miles no problems since.
Hope the info helps ya'll
Old 11-25-2010, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Were you using it in every tank or just for occasional cleaning purposes? Were the engines four stroke or two cycle?

Quick Reply: Ruff idle