Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Shift kit for auto transmission

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 11:55 AM

Default Shift kit for auto transmission

Hi,

Has anyone found a shift kit to get the gearbox to react instantly with the shifter and not have to hit the redline everytime you floor it?
I've been trying to find on but can't find anything. if you have any info on who makes a kit, even a local shop near you, let me know.
Thanks
Old 11-24-2010, 02:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

idk if they changed it for the 2011. but what i do is literally treat i like a manual. starting in first. accelerate shift up. let up off the gas. and then put it back on. from 3rd to fourth. u just lightly press the accelerator and it will shift since its a more of an overdrive gear. so from 1st to thrird u can get that manual action.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just for the record, letting the ecu shift on its own will be faster but if youre just driving like that for fun then ok. I had a 4spd 06 tC 3 years ago and I never did find anyone that made or was going to make a shift kit for the automatic transmission. I think all thats available are upgraded internals but you gotta ship out your tranny...
Old 11-24-2010, 05:31 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

if you floor it, then of course the ecu is going to push out the power as much as it can.. which means it's going to redline before it goes into the next gear.

what are you exactly trying to do?
Old 11-24-2010, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea i think he was trying to do what i do and shift at 5-7k. put if you have the pedal down it won't shift. btw dont redline its not good for any car. bouncing a limiter is a super bad idea.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:54 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

ahh.. now i understand.
so to the OP.. yes... if you let off the gas, it smooths out the transition between gears.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, our transmission is electronically controlled, so you would probably need to have some sort of piggyback controller to manually control the shifts. A shift kit would only be able to increase line pressure and firmness of shifts (good if you're on boost). The automagic is pretty good at what it does already...
Old 11-25-2010, 04:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you want to shift gears, buy a manual. if you have the pedal to the metal, the car will wait until red line to up shift, which makes since because full throttle means you want full acceleration, and full acceleration means up shifting at red line. if you don'twant to hit red line, then...don't floor it...
Old 11-27-2010, 04:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i know level 10 can beef up ur tranny. you can ether send in your valve body for upgrades or the valve body and torq convter for better clutch packs. it lets you have a higher stall rpm and the tranny will hold higher hp. just with the torq upgrade and valve body the tranny will hold 350whp easy max around 400hp. a stock auto will hold 250 with out it sliping a whole lot. it will also shift alot faster and firmer. they even say it shifts faster than a stick could!
Old 12-06-2010, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was curious about this as well. I have heard friends rave about putting shift kits into their cars....a friend with a pontiac grand prix gxp always tells me how his shift kit changed the car dramatically.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I searched everywhere for a shift kit and the closest thing I found are re-worked valve bodies from IPT and Level Ten. IIRC one or both also offers a manual shift conversion but all of these options are very expensive.

Bottom line = no shift kit
Old 12-06-2010, 07:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ill just keep an eye out for totaled 5 speed 2nd gens then :D
Old 12-07-2010, 12:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

IDK about the xB but in every other toyota the "sport shift" works the same way as "power shifting"(L23D) any other automatic. That is it allows it to be in any gear below the one selected and shifting has questionable effects on reliability. It said so in the manual(yes, I'm a nerd, I read the rental's manual). So read your manual and if you want to shift get a manual.

Edit: thought you were talking about the new tc. I am 99% sure this applies to the xB because the vehicle I'm referring to is a camry.

Last edited by Vlad1024; 12-07-2010 at 01:15 AM.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

IPT performance does transmission kits for the Auto xB, Transmission code U241E

Site: http://www.importperformancetrans.com/toyotaauto.shtml

FRONT WHEEL DRIVE
  • Valve body is custom calibrated to provide firm, positive shifts
  • High performance pressure regulator boost valve is installed to prevent sluggish line pressure rise
  • Extra clutches are installled
  • Modified solenoid assemblies are installed
  • New one-way clutches/sprags are installed
  • Lube system is redesigned for increased flow and cooler operation
  • New flat bearings are installed in all locations
Old 12-13-2010, 05:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DJ_FroZone
idk if they changed it for the 2011. but what i do is literally treat i like a manual. starting in first. accelerate shift up. let up off the gas. and then put it back on. from 3rd to fourth. u just lightly press the accelerator and it will shift since its a more of an overdrive gear. so from 1st to thrird u can get that manual action.

i have an 08 and it will shift better on its own

if you put it in first and stomp the gas,shift,not lift to shift it will shift at redline in every gear without hitting the rev limiter automatically

yes shift imediately after each gear it will hit redline and shift up for you automatically

ipt level 10 is the way to go to upgrade the auto tranny
Old 12-27-2010, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by DREWxB08
IPT performance does transmission kits for the Auto xB, Transmission code U241E

Site: http://www.importperformancetrans.com/toyotaauto.shtml

FRONT WHEEL DRIVE
  • Valve body is custom calibrated to provide firm, positive shifts
  • High performance pressure regulator boost valve is installed to prevent sluggish line pressure rise
  • Extra clutches are installled
  • Modified solenoid assemblies are installed
  • New one-way clutches/sprags are installed
  • Lube system is redesigned for increased flow and cooler operation
  • New flat bearings are installed in all locations
Thanks Andrew, I didn't know about these guys, but jeez! $3200!
Old 01-03-2011, 07:37 PM
SL Member

Ipt is the best...I have one of there trans in my 92 GSX Eclipse...it laid down 482 awhp on e85 and it was an auto.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:48 PM
Hix
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The transmissions are designed to slip so that the clutch packs do not wear out prematurely. By shifting instantly at full hold they have a chance to slip under pressure causing damage. A few companies have tried to make the autos shift harder and faster but find the transmission wears out much quicker. Verocious Motorsports did this with solenoids and blocking off valve body paths and found it can hold much more power and will shift almost instantly but would wear out with under 5000 miles of abuse (Verociousmotorspots.com or some ____ has the article).

That being said with not a ton of power, a cooler, a valve body (IPT), and a light foot (DD, keeping the power to track times) the transmission will shift very firm and last for a decent amount of time. There were a few people with the tC running low 13s on the auto with just a valve body upgrade, and your xb has the same transmission with a few case changes.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Hix
The transmissions are designed to slip so that the clutch packs do not wear out prematurely. By shifting instantly at full hold they have a chance to slip under pressure causing damage. A few companies have tried to make the autos shift harder and faster but find the transmission wears out much quicker. Verocious Motorsports did this with solenoids and blocking off valve body paths and found it can hold much more power and will shift almost instantly but would wear out with under 5000 miles of abuse (Verociousmotorspots.com or some ____ has the article).
Excellent point. Allan Phillips of APR told me that they too experimented with fooling a Taco TCU into shifting faster and more firmly. They sent altered load info to the TCU and acheived great results, smoking tires into 2nd and chirping into 3rd gear. He said they were thrilled until the tranny destroyed it's clutch packs after only a few hundred miles and several dyno pulls.

I want a DSG tranny soooooooooooooo bad!!!