Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

stock head unit/ sub woofer install

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 11:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default stock head unit/ sub woofer install

Hello forum, I just joined here after reading information off this forum for about 2 weeks. I guess there is not a new members area of the forum so this is my hello. But anyway, I want to install an amp and sub woofer in my 2011 Xb with the stock head unit. From what I understand I will need a line out converter if I want to use the stock Pioneer. I am confident that I can do the whole install myself but I just need a few things cleared up. I am planning on getting a single alpine type r 10" sub. will an alpine mrp-m500 amp be good enough for this sub? (I'm not trying to break any windows) I do not want to drop more than $200 on an amp. Last, Should I be worried about upgrading my battery or alternator? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: I forget to mention I am also running about 10 strips of LEDs but I dont think those draw much current.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You shouldn't need to change your battery right away for a 500W amp. Just make sure you use quality wiring. I would go with 4 gauge, incase you ever want to run a little more power or an amp for your highs/mids.
I've heard the 2011 has RCA preouts on the factory radio, but I'm not sure. You could take a peek behind the HU and check real quick.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Dynasty
SL Member

stock toyota battery even with a small stereo will only last a few years. upgrade eventually to a optima.

the amp will work perfectly with the sub.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I thought even the 08's had RCA preouts on all the headunits. I have the Pioneer Premium one but I thought I remember reading that the regular HU had them as well.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My '08 stock HU didn't have RCA preouts. I would skip Optima and go for a DieHard Platinum from Sears. The Platinum line is the same battery as Stinger or Odyssey, both great batteries.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Dynasty
SL Member

Originally Posted by buickid
I would skip Optima and go for a DieHard Platinum from Sears. The Platinum line is the same battery as Stinger or Odyssey, both great batteries.
i will agree that they are basically re-badged odyssey batteries, and contain alot of technology from Optima. one of the few good things about optima is the multi-axis mounting.

i hear mixed opinions about Optima. i personally love my yellowtop. It has never failed me and still starts like when i got it a year ago.

I heard warranty is the largest drawback of optima. some people claim their batteries lasted only a year or two and then stopped holding charge. but i've also heard some people praise how they've had their optima for years and never had any problem.

i retract my previous statement about getting an optima, go for the Odyssey.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Toast_Burner
But anyway, I want to install an amp and sub woofer in my 2011 Xb with the stock head unit. From what I understand I will need a line out converter if I want to use the stock Pioneer
If you are just doing 1 amp for a sub woofer no you do not need a line converter the stock head unit already has sub pre outs ( 1 set)
Old 11-27-2010, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by krazymarine
If you are just doing 1 amp for a sub woofer no you do not need a line converter the stock head unit already has sub pre outs ( 1 set)
Awesome! So if I made an underseat box for my 09, all I would have to do is run the wires from the stock HU to the sub? (sorry guys....I could change any mechanical part on the car, but I'm illiterate when it comes to stereos)

Last edited by Roller_Toaster; 11-27-2010 at 06:01 PM.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Roller_Toaster
Awesome! So if I made an underseat box, all I would have to do is run the wires from the stock HU to the sub? (sorry guys....I could change any mechanical part on the car, but I'm illiterate when it comes to stereos)
well yes and no lol you can run the RCA to the amp and from the amp cables to the sub. Remember the radio has RCA's pre out's (the ones you need to send audio signal to an external amp) and from there you will get the power for ur sub.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh right, I keep forgetting about the amp part.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Olesen_Custom_Automotive
i retract my previous statement about getting an optima, go for the Odyssey.
Optimas aren't too bad, I ran a D31T in my xB before I went with the Odyssey/DieHard Platinum/Stinger. From what I gather though, the D31 (their biggest battery) is the only Optima worth running, especially given its low price relative to size/capacity. For sure, my D31 did work, never gave up on me, even after all the abuse I put it through. But there are people who say the new Optimas aren't as good as they once were... So for me, Odyssey!
Old 11-27-2010, 10:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Thanks for all of the replies. Saved me a line out converter and killing my battery.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Dynasty
SL Member

Originally Posted by buickid
Optimas aren't too bad, I ran a D31T in my xB before I went with the Odyssey/DieHard Platinum/Stinger. From what I gather though, the D31 (their biggest battery) is the only Optima worth running, especially given its low price relative to size/capacity. For sure, my D31 did work, never gave up on me, even after all the abuse I put it through. But there are people who say the new Optimas aren't as good as they once were... So for me, Odyssey!

your making me want to ditch my $170 optima and go for a platinum lol