Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Help!! Sub-woofer turn on popping

Old 11-27-2010, 05:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Help!! Sub-woofer turn on popping

Hi ok im done with my system just finish everything components at front sum boston n the rear and a jl audio stealth box with am alpine upgraded radio and 2 jl audio amps ..
now my problem: i turn the key to ACC sounds great, i turn the key to ON sounds great, now If i turn the car On after the radio is on i get a popping sound from the sub woofer, but if I just go and turn the car on no popping sound or if i turn the key off after the radio has been running and let the amp turn off no problem.
So what can i do to fix the popping noise from on (radio running) to starting the car ?
Remember the amp's are already on as soon as i turn the key to the ACC whether the radio is on or not.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Okay thats kind of confusing.. so your saying when your radio is on already and your turn your car on, you get a popping noise? for how long? or just one little pop? But if your radio is off and you turn your car on, its all good?

hmm.. I'd double check and make sure every wire is hooked up right, make sure your rca's aren't backwards. Rule out the simple solutions first. Maybe you should wire your amps to the remote turn on from your radio?
Old 11-27-2010, 07:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You post is confusing. So if you turn the key to ON, then START, then you get a popping noise? Please clarify.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:28 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

what wire is your remote wire hooked to?
Old 11-28-2010, 02:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by krazymarine
Remember the amp's are already on as soon as i turn the key to the ACC whether the radio is on or not.
That's the problem right there. What you are hearing is the radio turning off, then on, when you start the car and this is causing the pop through your sub due to the amp already being on. Take the turn on wire to the power amp/antenna line on the radio and it will eleminate the turn-on pop.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I concur with Greg. On most aftermarket head units, the remote is the blue wire. That should solve your pop.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Greg S
That's the problem right there. What you are hearing is the radio turning off, then on, when you start the car and this is causing the pop through your sub due to the amp already being on. Take the turn on wire to the power amp/antenna line on the radio and it will eleminate the turn-on pop.
well the radio is the factory upgrade alpine and it doesn't have a remote turn on (blue cable)
Old 11-29-2010, 08:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There should be another wire in there that serves the same purpose. Look for a wiring diagram and check for something like a antenna power wire or similar. Or grab a multimeter and start testing.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Dynasty
SL Member

grey wire in stock wiring is the switched 12v
Old 11-30-2010, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well the radio is the factory upgrade alpine and it doesn't have a remote turn on (blue cable)

There is a remote turn on line. It's the power antenna line. Works the same in the case of Scion cars, it is on when the headunit is on regardless if you are on the radio or not. If you don't ahve a mutlimeter to rest at the radio you can always grab it at the rear right corner of the roof. It's behind the d-pillar.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Greg S
There is a remote turn on line. It's the power antenna line. Works the same in the case of Scion cars, it is on when the headunit is on regardless if you are on the radio or not. If you don't ahve a mutlimeter to rest at the radio you can always grab it at the rear right corner of the roof. It's behind the d-pillar.
i found it but on this radio it only works when the fm or am is on but if you switch to aux or ipod it will turn off
Old 11-30-2010, 02:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Which wire are you using from the radio harness? Gray or orange? Orange is the remote, gray is the acc power.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i found it but on this radio it only works when the fm or am is on but if you switch to aux or ipod it will turn off

Well that sucks, guess I'm glad I never got the upgrade radio. What you need is to eleminate the signal going to the amp through the RCAs when the radio turns off for engine crank. Try this piece, it should eleminate the problem. http://www.davidnavone.com/cart.asp?14&pid=161
Old 12-02-2010, 04:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Big_Jim
Which wire are you using from the radio harness? Gray or orange? Orange is the remote, gray is the acc power.
I'm using the gray wire
I think im going to take a picture of the radio harness
Old 12-02-2010, 06:55 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Big_Jim... I also tried the orange wire I have a 2011 xB with the stock pioneer head I had to use the gray acc power the orange wire does not do a thing
Old 12-02-2010, 06:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just a though but there might be a turn-on signal in the deck but no line in the vehicle harness. Since this is an Alpine labeled unit they usually have seperate lines for turn-on and power antenna. See if there are any pins in the back of the radio that do not have corresponding lines in the harness. If there is one that is a turn-on then you just have to add a pin to the harness.