Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

ECU Tuners?

Old 12-26-2010, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default ECU Tuners?

Are there any reputable tuners out there that modify the maps on the factory ECU?
I would rather not piggyback if at all possible and it's a California daily driver so OBDII is a MUST so stand alone is out.
Or, perhaps, a compatible ECU from another Toyota product with performance tuning?
2011 xB pure stock now but, planning cat-back and CAI.
Yeah, I know, I'm real picky
Old 12-26-2010, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

umm good luck with that...you could do the apr x1 thats about it, no ecu tuners that ive heard about, these ecus arent like the old honda p28 units...
Old 12-26-2010, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1. no, you can't just tune the factory ECU, you'd need the APR X-1 from www.dezod.com to do that, which is nearly 2 grand.

2. there is no point in tuning a non boosted xB. especially if it costs 2 grand just for the right part.

3. you can do some partial tuning with emanage blue or ultimate without getting a CEL. but still minimal point.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK, let me rephrase that.

Are there any people that are tuners that can remap an ECU?

I have had a couple cars remapped. One that I mailed out with a short list of mods, when I got it back the car was a tire smoking monster with modified shift points and I still got 6 MPG more.
The other one I met the tuner at an industrial area and he road-tuned it for me (this one had a huge mod list).
Old 12-27-2010, 04:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no there are not. our ECU's are pretty much tamper proof. only toyota can remap them, and the only time they have different maps for their engines are for supercharger kits.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What about something like Unichip?

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186368
Old 12-27-2010, 03:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

he said he didn't want a piggyback, he wants the ECU itself re-mapped. like a reflash like hon-data or whatever.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
he said he didn't want a piggyback, he wants the ECU itself re-mapped. like a reflash like hon-data or whatever.
Actually he said "I would rather not piggyback if at all possible" and since you earlier expressed that what he was hoping for doesn't seem to be an option, I thought I would just throw it out there. He's welcome to ignore my input if he wants to.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
Actually he said "I would rather not piggyback if at all possible" and since you earlier expressed that what he was hoping for doesn't seem to be an option, I thought I would just throw it out there. He's welcome to ignore my input if he wants to.

Yes, you are right. I had a car with a piggyback and it malfunctioned and leaned out. A turbo car though, and lean at 27 lbs. boost becomes very expensive, $6,542.00 if you really want to know.
That is why I'd rather go with a remap but, it wouldn't be as hard on a N.A. car. Even at that, I would want a wideband and EGT gage.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

IMO you'd be best to stick with IHE mods and let the ECU adjust to them. Our ECU has a wide enough adaptability range that I'm running 440cc injectors (OE=370cc), a T3/T04E and 6 psi of boost on mine without any CELs. I did add a Split Second Enricher module to richen the AFR to 12.3:1 during closed loop boost. In open loop I'm seeing 11.5:1 AFR and it runs like a factory turbo car from idle to WOT and everywhere in between.

I tried 3 different FICs with numerous wiring harness configurations and the APR-X1 and none of them worked to my satisfaction. The only piggyhack I would trust for the XB2 is the Unichip but the gains are minimal vs the cost. If you're interested, there are several members running the Unichip and they seem to be very satisfied with the performance and haven't reported any problems. Search the XB2 forum for "unichip" and you should find a lot of info. Personally, I'd still stick with the OE ECU.
Old 12-17-2019, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

anybody still around for this? walked superchips crack the ecu on dodge chargers and jeep. anything changed in 9 years?

dont ignore my question above.... but, im assuming with bolt ons no tuning is needed? what about speedometer re calibration when going to bigger wheels and tires? i know jeeps required this.
Old 12-17-2019, 06:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually yes, things have changed in the last 9 years. The one and only company who have cracked the Toyota ECU is Orange Virus Tuning. There are document gains with I/H/E and their tune that work. They take a fair amount of time to get back to people if they are busy and they aren't really focused on the 2AZ engine since it's not used currently any more but they do have a tune available for it.
Old 12-19-2019, 01:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I contacted them on through their facebook page. they said they do not offer a tuner.
Old 12-19-2019, 05:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Aw damn it I didn't look at your signature. They only have a tune for the 2AZ engine not the 1NZ series. You're in the 2nd gen portion of the forum so I didn't think to look that you have a 1st gen. Sorry
Old 01-17-2024, 04:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default FAC Location

I realize this is an old thread. But had a question about where I should place the fac. I recently installeda turbo kit. And until I moved the fac to the charge pipe in between the bov and throttle body. I didn'thave any issues.
Originally Posted by ScionFred
IMO you'd be best to stick with IHE mods and let the ECU adjust to them. Our ECU has a wide enough adaptability range that I'm running 440cc injectors (OE=370cc), a T3/T04E and 6 psi of boost on mine without any CELs. I did add a Split Second Enricher module to richen the AFR to 12.3:1 during closed loop boost. In open loop I'm seeing 11.5:1 AFR and it runs like a factory turbo car from idle to WOT and everywhere in between.
Originally Posted by ScionFred
I tried 3 different FICs with numerous wiring harness configurations and the APR-X1 and none of them worked to my satisfaction. The only piggyhack I would trust for the XB2 is the Unichip but the gains are minimal vs the cost. If you're interested, there are several members running the Unichip and they seem to be very satisfied with the performance and haven't reported any problems. Search the XB2 forum for "unichip" and you should find a lot of info. Personally, I'd still stick with the OE ECU.
Old 01-21-2024, 10:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Personally I would use Apexi SAFC to tune boosted configuration.
Old 02-05-2024, 10:06 PM

Default Tune

I am looking for a tune for my 08. I looked for the unichip, but they are out of stock. Checked orange virus and they don’t have anything either. I don’t want to buy some cheap eBay crap like a pedal commander. Are there any options left? I am N/A at the moment.