Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

xB Dyno!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 09:10 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default xB Dyno!

To come this afternoon! lol got your hopes up didn't I?
So after seeing a more recent thread where a member swears to the holy ghost his throttle body spacer gave him 50 horsepower, I have decided to do some comparison dynos for you fellow scion peeps. Now, I will not have a true baseline because I already have the TRD cai and axle-back on, so I will count the first one as the most powerful xB you could buy from a dealership lol. I will have that posted this afternoon. Now, I am not made of money, and dyno pulls cost so I will not be able to do one after every single mod I wish I could. So the next one is going to be after I put on my NST pullies (lite-crank and lite-waterpump), weapon R intake, torque damper (Thought I do not believe it will show a difference, its supposed to make the engine move less during hard acceleration shifts), and possibly intake manifold or header. Not sure which one I am going with first. Now, a intake manifold at this point is probably not much of again, but I am looking at later down the road and its one of the more expensive pieces and I got the cash for it now thanks to taxes, so figured f-it. Plus I really do like the look of the weapon r neo stuff, I am wanting to dress up my engine bay some with i and a splash of carbon fiber. So when I get off this evening I will have a pic of a dyno for a 2010 xb 5 speed, TRD CAI and TRD axle-back exhaust.

1st run
TRD axle-back exhaust
154.7hp 169.6tq

2nd run
TRD Cold air intake, TRD axle-back exhaust
157.7hp 169.7tq

Last edited by Gutling; 02-04-2011 at 01:19 AM.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Watching!

Can't wait to put this Throttle Body Spacer thing to rest.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lol I really dont care either way, it would be nice if it actually did something but I really do not believe it helps at all. I just hate that guy lol, he is a dick. But I am willing to test anybodys throttle body spacer if they send it to me, I just am not going to buy one
Old 02-03-2011, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

"That Guy"?
Old 02-03-2011, 08:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Pasquale
"That Guy"?
Throttle body spacer
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=198262

Scroll down to post #10.

@Gutling: I'm not going to say anything because I don't want to make any enemies here, but I will say this: that pointless argument about the Dyno...

I mean, would YOU buy a product from a company if they couldn't prove the results? And then, the fact that you defend it so earnestly? I don't know about that...

Originally Posted by ScionFred
Exactly! A dyno test would clearly show the "tremendous torque gains" in the low-end claimed by Airaid yet Airaid claims that the gains can't be measured on a dyno or at the track. Hmmmm... sounds like snake oil to me.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:18 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lol yeah im a internet dick sometimes, its just almost every forum I have been on have gone through the same things. TB spacers, electric turbos, etc. It just gets old. So I make up being a a$$hole by trying to help people as much as I can lol.

Now disclaimer! A dyno is not a end-all comparison to every other car/dyno in the world. Different dynos read differently, and different days can effect it. They are for tuning and good for showing gains on your car from something. If I used a different dyno tomorrow, might be completely different. Now, I am going to keep using the same dyno so I can more accurately see gains in my future mods.

Plus just got my pullies in. Woot go NST!

This is a 2010 scion xb. 5 speed
TRD CAI and TRD exhaust

And before I left work I *borrowed* a factory airbox from another xb. so this one is only trd exhaust.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Naturally, people should be smart enough to know that any kind of test should be considered as an average as constants do not exist. Weather affects tire pressure, handling, etc. And if you don't believe that, imagine walking outside on a warm day compared to a blisteringly cold day. Your muscles don't want to work nearly as hard when it's cold.

So anyway, awesome results for that dyno there! I find it interesting that the TRD Cold-Air Intake only showed a difference of 3hp. It just reinforces the fact that if you want speed, you need to invest in turbo. ;)
Old 02-04-2011, 05:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

I love how you have to put 1000$ in aftermarket parts to almost get the power scion claims out the door lol.

Thats very impressive though! I though it would have been much lower to start off with.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I though it would have been much lower to start off with.
If you have an automatic, it is much lower.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I love how you have to put 1000$ in aftermarket parts to almost get the power scion claims out the door lol.

Thats very impressive though! I though it would have been much lower to start off with.
Aren't most claims tho to the crank?
Old 02-05-2011, 04:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
If you have an automatic, it is much lower.
Wow... yeah, that's such a downer.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:41 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah it did surprise me considering the factory rating is 158hp crank. Lol my 2.2 s-10 after I turbocharged it only made less than 10whp more on this same dyno (Factory na = 98!!! lol not even 100whp)
Well I got my NST pullies in and on yesterday, and the rest of my n/a goodies set to arrive next week. WR intake, intake manifold, header. So lets see how far simple bolt ons will go without tuning, then thinking about a Unichip to take advantage of everything,
Old 02-05-2011, 11:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

From much earlier thread reading, I was under the impression there were tuning issues with the WR intake manifold installed. Was a solution identified for that, or is that where the UniChip comes in?
Old 02-05-2011, 11:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't have the manifold installed yet. I was merely listing my steps I am going to be doing in the first post. The dyno was just factory airbox and trd exhaust, then trd intake and trd exhaust.

I am going to dyno it after I get everything on, and check out my a/f ratios. If they are out of wack, then I am considering getting a unichip and having it tuned.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

The intake mani made a big difference in response. Its going to make a huge difference once I get the next mod taken care of ;)
Old 02-07-2011, 09:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The intake mani made a big difference in response. Its going to make a huge difference once I get the next mod taken care of ;)
Reading the tC dyno thread, the difference was due to changing both the AMC CAI and the OE manifold to Weapon-R. Makes me wonder what the Dyno is with the Weapon-R CAI and OE manifold, and the TRD CAI with the Weapon-R manifold. Tests on multiple simultaneous mods are very difficult to interpret. They need to be separated.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i might be confused here. but doesn't the manifold only need for those with turbo?

I have strup header/tenzp/and 2.5 exhaust. and the unichip pnp harness. i was looking at the manifolds or maybe im confusing it wiht a fuel rail. which i def. don't need.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

You're thinking of a different manifold. a fuel rail wont hurt you but your right its more eye candy for somebody who has no need for a stronger/high flow fuel rail. I actually did the whole weapon-r set up piece by piece and I could feel the progression. its moderate but the gains are there. N/A it makes the car sound cool and helps in mid range but thats about it. Once I get out to Torrence we'll see what this stuff can really do.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Like descendants manifold I would say was for turbo only, its a straight through design. The weapon R is shaped similar to the factory manifold, just better lol. Most gains would be seen on a turbo car, but still can help a n/a car with other bolt-ons (Thought admittedly not as large of gains). A fuel rail I doubt a n/a car would ever need.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

where does the manifold go?

Quick Reply: xB Dyno!