Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Idiotic Lunacy in Hawaii Averted!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 08:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Exclamation Idiotic Lunacy in Hawaii Averted!

This morning I read in the paper about a House Bill that would effectively ban aftermarket car stereos. Any aftermarket car stereo with speakers 6.5" depth or height (????!), 5 speakers or more or speakers producing 100 watts. The bill would not have any effect on stock system or dealer installed systems. Nearly 200 people testified against the bill, with only a few supporters. http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/b...115671869.html

We already have a law on the books regarding loud systems and nearly 900 citations were given out last year. The proposed ban would have shut down the local aftermarket business here. Back in the 80's, I was chosen by our company to testify against a bill that was just as draconian (no sound to be heard from 10 feet away with open car windows). The local shops really took no notice of the bill, saying it would never pass, until it actually got to committee. All hell broke loose and they had me testify before the Transportation Committee. The bill died.

I can understand the reasons for the current bill (the bill's sponsor's district has more than a few lolo heads pounding their systems at night), but it was poorly researched and poorly thought out in it's repercussions. No speaker depth or height greater than 6.5"? No 5 speaker systems (does that count tweeters too?). No speaker louder than 100 watts (watts is an electrical measurement, not of volume). The penalty for possessing any of the above would involve a fine no less than $25 and no more than $250. The bill was deferred in committee and if no other action is taken by the middle of the month, it's dead for this session.

There's also a bill that would bar anyone under the age of 18 to purchase a toy gun and would ban toy guns in general. Imagine a 7 year old getting arrested for using their squirt gun? Ah, lucky I live Hawaii.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea that was pretty dumb. .

Just like the bill that would allow smokers to smoke in bars and clubs again.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sexby
Yea that was pretty dumb. .

Just like the bill that would allow smokers to smoke in bars and clubs again.

So in the case of loud car stereos you support the rights of a small minority group but in the case of smoking the minority group is not entitled to the same rights? It sounds to me like you have a loud car stereo and don't smoke.

While I understand why non-smokers wouldn't want to be exposed to anything as unhealthy as second hand smoke while drinking and drugging at bars and clubs, do you really want government to make such decisions for you? I personally believe that the decision to permit or prohibit smoking should be left up to the bar/club owners. I have no doubt that there would be plenty of non-smoking bars and clubs available for non-smokers without trampling on the rights of smokers as current "Big Brother" legislation does.

Allowing government to dictate such things is a slippery slope that fosters bills like the subject anti-aftermarket car stereo bill in Hawaii.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
So in the case of loud car stereos you support the rights of a small minority group but in the case of smoking the minority group is not entitled to the same rights? It sounds to me like you have a loud car stereo and don't smoke.

While I understand why non-smokers wouldn't want to be exposed to anything as unhealthy as second hand smoke while drinking and drugging at bars and clubs, do you really want government to make such decisions for you? I personally believe that the decision to permit or prohibit smoking should be left up to the bar/club owners. I have no doubt that there would be plenty of non-smoking bars and clubs available for non-smokers without trampling on the rights of smokers as current "Big Brother" legislation does.

Allowing government to dictate such things is a slippery slope that fosters bills like the subject anti-aftermarket car stereo bill in Hawaii.
scionfred for president.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by randomsuper
scionfred for president.

Furthermore I promise to legalize marijuana, use the tax revenue to reduce the deficit and make the official Presidential Limo a custom stretched, chopped, slammed and boosted Scion XB!

This message has been approved by the committee to elect ScionFred President of the United States of America.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You have my vote!
Old 02-11-2011, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Like the limo part but the MJ, we already have too many stupid lazy people in this country. Although would help the economy.