Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Manual Trans

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 01:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Manual Trans

For those with manual trans, does anyone hear a metallic sounding noise from trans when coasting in gear at highway speeds? The first time I heard this noise was on a trip to Vegas, and on a downgrade I would let off the gas and I heard the noise. When I get back on the gas the noise goes away. It only happens when coasting(at highway speeds) and only heard with radio off on smooth asphalt type roads. This trans also whines like no other, especially in 1st gear. This is on my 2010 5 speed with 21k. I bought brand new last Feb. I have yet to take it to the dealer for this, but wondering if anyone else has experienced the noise.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Take it to the dealer!
Old 02-14-2011, 05:15 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Run around screaming in the street and fall down in tears! No, it's not the end of the world, I have an 08 with 17k and if I listen closely I can hear what you're describing. I don't think it's abnormal, but, since you're under warranty, take it in. Gives those Toyota mechanics purpose by allowing them to treat you like you have no idea how a car works and that you're an idiot for bringing it in with a valid concern. I really don't think it's a real mechanical issue since mine had made similar noises since day one and I baby that thing. Almost 4 years old and only at 17k, barely gets driven. Then again, I drove American cars before this one so they were sloppy, noisy, and not precise manuals anyways so even some gear whine beats the crap I dealt with in the past with USDM equipment.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:51 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Mine whines in first but I dont think I have the hwy issue. As far as first gear, I can pretty much tell you its "normal". Ive tried redline and eneos mtf and it still does it.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:22 PM

I haven't experienced that, YET! Speaking of highway driving, a friend and I noticed a glitch in the ECU for cruise control for manual transmission. Maybe it only happens on my 08xb. I was doing 75mph and I had turned the cruise control ON. So, we thought what would happen if I took it out of gear with the cruise still on? Well the ECU decides, "HEY let's redline this! WOOHOO!" Yeah, glitch. Freaked us both out. Ha.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rawoctane
I was doing 75mph and I had turned the cruise control ON. So, we thought what would happen if I took it out of gear with the cruise still on? Well the ECU decides, "HEY let's redline this! WOOHOO!" Yeah, glitch. Freaked us both out. Ha.
Just wondering -- did you push the clutch pedal in before moving the shift lever to neutral?
Old 03-07-2011, 02:41 AM

Yes, I did.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rawoctane
Yes, I did.
That seems really odd to me. There's a switch mounted under the dash that releases when the clutch pedal is pushed. The only reason I can come up with for such a switch is to alert the cruise control to the pedal being pushed. My Eclipse has a similar switch and it causes the cruise control to release (can be manually "continued" at the stalk after pedal release). I wonder what's going on (unless, perhaps, you didn't push the pedal down far enough to release the switch)?
Old 04-01-2011, 06:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by oreoremix42
Take it to the dealer!
Originally Posted by Tealtoaster
Run around screaming in the street and fall down in tears! No, it's not the end of the world, I have an 08 with 17k and if I listen closely I can hear what you're describing. I don't think it's abnormal, but, since you're under warranty, take it in. Gives those Toyota mechanics purpose by allowing them to treat you like you have no idea how a car works and that you're an idiot for bringing it in with a valid concern. I really don't think it's a real mechanical issue since mine had made similar noises since day one and I baby that thing. Almost 4 years old and only at 17k, barely gets driven. Then again, I drove American cars before this one so they were sloppy, noisy, and not precise manuals anyways so even some gear whine beats the crap I dealt with in the past with USDM equipment.

So I'm gonna take it into the dealer sometime next week. Do you think I will have any problems with warranty since I have a NST bushing installed in one of the shifter cables?
Old 04-13-2011, 09:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree with everyone. I am guessing you've had your car for about 2 to 3 months, the warranties are for like 3 years....and If i am not mistaken, I think for the engine and power train it is like 5 years

Only thing you gotta waste is your time...but hey its better than your cash!
Old 04-14-2011, 09:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey since we're sort of on the discussion with dealerships and warranties, is there a difference if I were to buy the part and have toyota install it? or buy from them and install it?....all in all i'd rather buy it and install it myself or someone i kno install it for free but for warranties sake and whatnot, will it be better or worse?