Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Need to add some coolant -- trying Peak Global

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 09:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Need to add some coolant -- trying Peak Global

Spent a little time nosing around the net and it appears Peak Global LifeTime coolant is a likely substitute for the Toyota pink. Its color is amber so the color coolant already in the car will survive mixing, and mixing is approved (by Peak). However, for the full warranty, it's necessary to fully flush and then switch to the Peak Global.

http://www.peakantifreeze.com/antifr...ediluted.shtml

I tried my old Peak supplier, but Pepboy's no longer appears to carry it. Stopped by NAPA and they have it re-branded under their own name -- fine with me ! NAPA has both concentrate and diluted, so I went with concentrate for $13.31. I then checked with my old distilled water supplier Eckerd Drugs, but they no longer have genuine distilled water (nothing added). Fortunately, my grocery store had it -- house brand for 89 cents.

Name:  xBcoolantPeakGlobal.jpg
Views: 938
Size:  46.6 KB

FWIW -- Eckerd did have 50/50 diluted Peak Global LifeTime for $11.99.

Last edited by TrevorS; 03-14-2011 at 11:42 PM. Reason: corrected antifreeze name
Old 03-15-2011, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looked around some more and it appears Walmart also carries Peak Global LifeTime, but under the "Peak Extended Life" label. Also, K-Mart apparently has Peak Global LifeTime 50/50.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1482592
Old 03-31-2011, 09:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TrevorS
Looked around some more and it appears Walmart also carries Peak Global LifeTime, but under the "Peak Extended Life" label. Also, K-Mart apparently has Peak Global LifeTime 50/50.
Dropped by AutoZone and they too carry it as "Peak Extended Life", with the 50/50 for $11.99 and concentrate for $13.99.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Noticed today PepBoys also has Peak Extended Life 50/50. It appeared as though Prestone has a similar product, though I didn't look that closely.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was doing a little reading about coolant the other day and came across a car and driver artical dating back to 2006 or something like that. It said to be carefull what you mix with what. If you are just topping off, then almost anything will do, however if you are like half filling it with a different brand, there could be issue with the anti-corrosion packages causing some mixes to form a gel.

That was enough for me to stick with either the Toyota or Honda long life coolants

Interestingly, they said the long life coolants need to stay in the engine a long time for the stuff to work. The extra additives help protect the engine in the short term.

The japanese went one way with the coolant additives for their all aluminum engines, the Europeans another and the USA 1/2 way between the 2, which doesn't sound good.

There was some additive that actually plasticises gaskets, which GM was having some warranty claim issues with, so the Japs decided not to add that stuff to their coolant. Smart. GM has a lot of iron block engines, which need a different package of additives

Thats all I remember
Old 02-27-2012, 12:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've looked at the specs of both and honestly don't see the difference. Also, if you look at the owners manual, it doesn't say to use Toyota coolant, it says to use it or equivalent. I don't think it surprising there are equivalents out there, in fact, I think it unlikely Toyota actually manufactures their branded coolant -- more likely it's out-sourced from what's publicly available under other brand names. It's obviously a personal call and most steer toward what they consider safe, but I'm thinking Toyota isn't the only source of a suitable coolant !
Old 02-27-2012, 12:23 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's not outsourced.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SamCarroll
It's not outsourced.
You're saying they actually manufacture it themselves (at their own antifreeze plant)? Highly unusual -- not likely cost effective either! Whatever, my inclination is to go by the spec -- you know, walks and quacks like a duck, probably is a duck !