Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Axxess steering wheel control install help please :)

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 07:12 AM

Default Axxess steering wheel control install help please :)

Ok, so I attempted to install the ASWC steering wheel control conversion kit today and it was an epic FAIL. The instructions are extremely unclear. I am confused. I need help...
Instructions: ASWC Connections 1) Connect the Black wire of the ASWC to ground. You may use the same grounding point as the aftermarket radio. (Ok) 2) Connect the Red wire of the ASWC to a 12 volt accessory wire, one that turns on and off with the ignition key. (Ok) 3) Connect the Green/Orange wire of the ASWC to pin 7 of the vehicle.(Pin 7 is completely empty - no metal connector inside WTF?) Below is a picture of what the connector in the vehicle looks like: Name:  STEERINGWHEELCONTROLINSTRUCTIONS.jpg
Views: 4226
Size:  12.0 KB This is the pin view of the connector in the vehicle 4) Connect the Black/Green wire of the ASWC to pin 8 of the vehicle. (Pin 8 has a purple wire in it. Am I supposed to splice into it or pull out the wire and replace it with the Black/Green wire?) 5) Connect pin 6 of the vehicles harness to Ground. (Why?) 6) All other wires on the ASWC please tape up, they will not be used. Control Wire 1 Wire Color WHITE (LIES! THERE'S NOTHING THERE!) Control Wire 1 Polarity (-) Control Wire 1 Location RADIO HARNESS Control Wire 1 Pin # 7 Control Wire 2 Wire Color RED (LIES! IT'S PURPLE!) Control Wire 2 Polarity (-) Control Wire 2 Location RADIO HARNESS Control Wire 2 Pin # 8 I don't understand. Pin number 7 has nothing in it - no metal. It's just a plastic hole. How is that supposed to be connected??? I can't find a DIY for this :/ and the different instructions from Axxess contradict each other. Very discouraged and sooooo lost... Has anyone done this? Hellllppppp!
Old 03-17-2011, 05:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did you checkout their website? I think it's little bit more clearer on their site than the book that comes with it,I was like WTF as well when I looked at the little manual it came with. I'll be installing mine this Saturday, so if you're still stuck by then and if all goes good with mine I'll hit you up to help you out.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by thegame7a
Did you checkout their website? I think it's little bit more clearer on their site than the book that comes with it,I was like WTF as well when I looked at the little manual it came with. I'll be installing mine this Saturday, so if you're still stuck by then and if all goes good with mine I'll hit you up to help you out.
Problem solved. I checked with my boys at Car Stereo Warehouse in Anaheim, Ca and we figured it out. The picture shown in the instructions IS the stock radio harness that will not be in use, if you are using an aftermarket head unit. The resolution was that the picture is showing the "Pin" end of the connector, NOT the end that the wires go into. Rookie mistake on my part :/. Live and lear
So, to install, I clipped wires 7 and 8 - (which are the correct colors when you turn the harness around haha) and spliced them with the wires as stated in the instructions. Then, I spliced wire 6 and ran it to the ground that I had dedicated for the aftermarket head unit. After a few programming attempts, everything finally works. Yay :-) Hope this helps anyone who is about to attempt this. Thank you all for your input and help!
Old 03-19-2011, 03:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

first steering wheel control module installs always go like that, once you get the hang of it tho it is simple. and a word of advise always go to the manufacturers website as they usually will have vehicle specific instructions which makes things much simpler, sometimes they will even have the factory wires colors
Old 03-20-2011, 02:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I installed mine yesterday and it was easy and pretty quick. I downloaded the instructions from their website which is much easy than the instructions that come with it.

http://documents.victorytechnologies...icle/10957.pdf
Old 07-12-2012, 12:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im so lost i dont understand this. i havea p4100dvd unit pioneer. i need black/green and green/ orange. i got that part under control

but where do they go.i used the factory wiring harness but that can't be right. the wires are way small. but if that is the case pin 6 which is a black wire. 7 is white 8 is red. does six need to be cut and spliced too? i figured it was already grounded being in the OEM harness. and if all that is wrong. where does it go in the pioneer harness i have set up?
Old 07-12-2012, 04:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh man...I got super excited for a minute. I thought that you guys were talking about a tool that would adjust the electronic steering systems sensitivity.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:43 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Man, screw all that.... I let the stereo shop do all that stuff. One thing I do know is that Sony products and our steering wheel stereo control take a lot of finagling to get to work. My installer was on the phone with Sony for an hour while they were working on it. Ended up returning the head unit a month later cause I absolute hated it... Kenwood 719 is the god of all headunits from wha I have experienced.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I installed a Kenwood HU with a PAC SWI-Jack interface and had no problems. The key is to read the instructions (and check with the website) without making assumptions. If you take your time, it works! If you're looking for instant gratification, you're likely to be disappointed !
Old 07-28-2012, 09:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thought I would share this since people seem to be having a lot of trouble with the wiring on SWC modules on this forum. I posted this in the tc2 section so here you go.

Also give you the aux wire from the factory connector.

70-8114

7.99 @ SonicElectronix
Old 01-29-2013, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by RedDragons
Thought I would share this since people seem to be having a lot of trouble with the wiring on SWC modules on this forum. I posted this in the tc2 section so here you go.

Also give you the aux wire from the factory connector.

70-8114

7.99 @ SonicElectronix

does this part fit a 2011 tc? many sites I have seen say for 2010 and older tc's