Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

eRam Supercharger anyone? An interesting read!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default eRam Supercharger anyone? An interesting read!

http://www.electricsupercharger.com/products.html
Old 04-01-2011, 05:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think that's a failed...
Old 04-01-2011, 07:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Interesting product. The biggest problem with previous devices like this has been their inability to flow enough cfm. I've calculated that my engine requires 500cfm at 260bhp so IF the e-ram can actually deliver on it's claim of 800cfm, it might actually work. However axial fan cfm falls off sharply with restriction and their rating is for unrestricted flow.

I was going to comment on what happens when it blows up and throws it's ball bearings, etc. into the engine but I noticed that they include a screen to catch all the bits and pieces when it self-destructs.

All in all, I think $300 is too much for this but I'd love to see someone else test it.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:32 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Waste of money. Buy a ebay no name header, intake, and exhaust and you'll make more power.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Id try it if it was free and included a WOT switch.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

When i used to really be into my honda i could tell you the name of a real electric supercharger and the link, but my memory sux. I can describe it though and you make the decision on the E-Ram

Had 3 Brushless motors all on different gear ratio settings with a smart ecu controlling them- This supercharger was about the size of 2 optima batteries- it also was run off of 3-6 Car batteries- cant remember the ammount. Anyway it would only be good for like 3 runs on the 1/4mi then you needed new batteries (or charged). All for the low price of like 3,000 (less the batteries).

You decide which is real.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

reminds me of mad max's interceptor lol. Click a button and the super charger turns on lol.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It was sort of- it acted like NOS- not constant on- but it was activated by rpm i think with a back-up switch.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The switch could have controlled an electric clutch so the impellers didn't actually spin until the operator wanted them to engage.

I'm not looking to buy this, but I do think it's an interesting product. Certainly a lot more comprehensive a design than the electric blowers on eBay.

PS. Fred -- your response totally cracked me up !
Old 04-02-2011, 03:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SC06TC
When i used to really be into my honda i could tell you the name of a real electric supercharger and the link, but my memory sux. I can describe it though and you make the decision on the E-Ram

Had 3 Brushless motors all on different gear ratio settings with a smart ecu controlling them- This supercharger was about the size of 2 optima batteries- it also was run off of 3-6 Car batteries- cant remember the ammount. Anyway it would only be good for like 3 runs on the 1/4mi then you needed new batteries (or charged). All for the low price of like 3,000 (less the batteries).

You decide which is real.
Sounds like apples to oranges. I find it hard to believe that anyone would go through so much trouble, weight adding and cost to produce only 1psi of boost on a ~2L 4 banger. Surely the setup you refer to produced more than 1psi boost?

In theory, if the e-ram actually produces 1psi of boost, it should add more hp and tq than a $500 Unichip or most other IHE mods add individually. The big question is whether the E-ram can actually deliver on it's claims. A 1.2hp electric motor driving a 3.5" axial fan at 25k rpm should move a lot of air but I don't know how much given x intake restriction. I also have concerns about the load on the charging system and longevity of the E-ram.

Originally Posted by TrevorS
PS. Fred -- your response totally cracked me up !
I was thinking that DJ_FroZone might want to try this thing.

I'm honestly not ready to dismiss it as snake oil... yet.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:51 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did some digging and i found it!
http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/04...ger/index.html
Old 04-02-2011, 01:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred

I was thinking that DJ_FroZone might want to try this thing.

I'm honestly not ready to dismiss it as snake oil... yet.
hello ladies. whats this u say? a mod i have never heard of possibly making my car go faster??? Now why would i be interested in such hogwash?
Old 04-02-2011, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Pasquale
reminds me of mad max's interceptor lol. Click a button and the super charger turns on lol.
A company actually made a supercharger like this for hondas awhile back, using an A/C compressor to allow it to be switched off and on.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DJ_FroZone
hello ladies. whats this u say? a mod i have never heard of possibly making my car go faster??? Now why would i be interested in such hogwash?
Because it makes your car go faster! Silly...

I'm not ready to endorse the e-ram yet but if it actually delivers 800cfm and produces 1psi of boost on a 2AZ-FE engine it will certainly add more whp than a Unichip, TBS, axle-back, etc. IMO it should fall into the +10whp category with a header and CAI and at a similar price point (ebay clones excluded).

Here's an interesting read on the e-ram:

http://www.electricsupercharger.com/...no-article.pdf
Old 04-03-2011, 11:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Fred. i really want to buy a bike this summer. don't make me want this. i will be so ____ed. cause it looks like it would work well with my I/H/E and chip. i wonder if the chip could be mapped for this? also i would need two batteries?? where would i mount this other battery and a nos switch to control the charger? im confused as to how that would work as well.

i dont see how this fits in my engine bay i have stuff everywhere
Old 04-04-2011, 05:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Fred. i really want to buy a bike this summer. don't make me want this. i will be so ____ed. cause it looks like it would work well with my I/H/E and chip. i wonder if the chip could be mapped for this? also i would need two batteries?? where would i mount this other battery and a nos switch to control the charger? im confused as to how that would work as well.

i dont see how this fits in my engine bay i have stuff everywhere
You wouldn't need a second battery or Unichip re-tune to run this. They include a micro-switch for throttle linkage activation but since we're drive-by-wire, it would have to mount under the accelerator pedal. When you floor it, the E-ram activates. The e-ram mounts where your current air filter is.

But.... save your money for a bike. The E-ram is far from a proven product and I'm not recommending it.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh somewhere i read about a second battery. so i would put a button underneath my pedal so that when the pedal gets pressed down it activates it? similar to a turbo. it only activates when u stomp the pedal
Old 04-04-2011, 04:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Fred. i really want to buy a bike this summer.
Do it, get a decent bike and enjoy it. You'll appreciate speed (and the road) in a whole new way
Old 04-04-2011, 04:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh somewhere i read about a second battery. so i would put a button underneath my pedal so that when the pedal gets pressed down it activates it? similar to a turbo. it only activates when u stomp the pedal
That's basically it. What's uncertain is how much boost and hp it would actually add in your particular application and the reliability of the e-ram.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ this is true. because i am certainly interested. I can see from a basic understanding how it would function. i CAI is made so air is more effectively sucked into the engine. so having something that helped suck it in more forcefully could potentially be effective. but isn't there cap to how much air the engine can intake and use?

Quick Reply: eRam Supercharger anyone? An interesting read!