Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Metra Axxess ASWC

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 07:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Metra Axxess ASWC

I plan on buying a AVH-P3300BT and alos the PAC SWI-PS to retain my steering wheel controls I have never installed on of these. I wanted to know if anyone has installed on and how hard is it?

Last edited by 11ScionXb; 07-29-2011 at 10:01 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I installed the one for Alpine on my xb. The install was prettysimple. The programming is what took a while. Also there will be a slight delay in the response of the stereo after pushing the button. Let me know if you have any specific questions.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They are cake! Here is a link to the direct walk through on how to program them it is much easier than using the instructions it comes with because this is vehicle specific.

Vehicle Specific Directions (2011)

And even tho it says it in the directions I will state it again, when viewing the harness in the diagram its from the PIN side NOT THE WIRE side. That is probably one of the most common mistakes in wiring. And use the resistor guide in the printed instructions it will tell you the resistor values and what color codes they are.

EDIT: And please solder the connections dont twist and tape.

I'm going to be upgrading my interface to one that has newer firmware so I can use the bluetooth and voice recognition features on my avic so I will be pulling the other one Ive been using for less than a year out if anyones interested in it. They retail for $100 so if your interested in it PM me with an offer, and be resonible lol. I believe it is version 1.6.6 it will work on pioneer and sony radios.

Enough of the threadjack if you need any help programming I would be more than happy to help but with those instructions you should not need anything else.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I much prefer the Metra Axxes piece, http://www.axxessinterface.com/ ,to the PAC unit. Simpler to program and has less delay between button push and function.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ya the metra ones are good, I just dont carry them where I work so getting them cheap is more important to me than a 1/2 second delay but I dont even notice it anymore.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the feedback guys I am looking into the Metra Axxes because of the auto program. Does the Metra have a delay like the Pac unit?
Old 05-23-2011, 06:20 AM
5 Year Member

I'm running the metra and it's no delay at all. Almost thought I installed it wrong because it was just too easy. The book will tell you there are 3 possible ways to program it but mine was just key on and radio on. It did the rest.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:26 PM

I just installed the metra as well. It almost seems like it responds faster than the stock Pioneer did. I also ordered the additional wire harness 70-8114 it so I didn't have to hack into the factory wiring at all. Wired up all the harness'es inside then went out and it was just plugging in three connectors and done.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:03 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by memphiskane
I just installed the metra as well. It almost seems like it responds faster than the stock Pioneer did. I also ordered the additional wire harness 70-8114 it so I didn't have to hack into the factory wiring at all. Wired up all the harness'es inside then went out and it was just plugging in three connectors and done.

Which wire harness is 70-8114 Metra? I'm going to be ordering the Metra ASWC shortly ... I would also like not to cut into the factory wiring.. thank you in advance.

Edit: found the harness but what are the RCA's and the 3.5 mm jack that come included with this kit... and would this work on my 2011?
Old 05-25-2011, 01:03 PM

check it out at metraonline.com. The third plug white plug that is not used for aftermarket stereos is the one that has the control wires that you would normally have to splice into. This harness does it for you so all you have to do is connect power and ground. No splicing at all needed.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a question for you guys with the Metra steering wheel control... I installed it about a month or so ago I go the additional kit so I would not have to cut into my original harness now the control works great... I have it paired up with a Pioneer AVH-3300BT and this has only happen to me about 4 times but i'll be driving and my radio will beep as if I pressed a button on the steering wheel and then the controls become inactive they will not work at all until I turn my car off and back on. I have already gone back to make sure all the plugs were nice and tight and everything but it has done it since I was just wondering if this has happen to anyone else or do I have a defective piece.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

This happened to me when I had the SWI-PAC installed on my xB. This is the reason I went with the metra on the wife's new xD. But this happened on long road trip where I was going 300 miles between stops and wasnt til the end of the trip. try examining all connections is the only advice I can give.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by isomswim
This happened to me when I had the SWI-PAC installed on my xB. This is the reason I went with the metra on the wife's new xD. But this happened on long road trip where I was going 300 miles between stops and wasnt til the end of the trip. try examining all connections is the only advice I can give.
I have twice... But I have the metra not the pac. Has this ever happen with your metra in the xD
Old 07-30-2011, 07:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not yet but we dont drive our cars far on a daily basis only to work, 10 miles at most
Old 08-01-2011, 04:05 AM

I have a pioneer avh3200dvd in mine with the metra. It worked great for about 4 months. Then my radio started acting strange the beep like you are saying and also the touch screen wouldnt work and if you used the steering wheel controls every button would advance the track. I disconnected the metra 2 months ago to see if that was the problem and the radio has been fine since. I need to exchange it and see if that helps.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Toyofixer
I have a pioneer avh3200dvd in mine with the metra. It worked great for about 4 months. Then my radio started acting strange the beep like you are saying and also the touch screen wouldnt work and if you used the steering wheel controls every button would advance the track. I disconnected the metra 2 months ago to see if that was the problem and the radio has been fine since. I need to exchange it and see if that helps.
I'm going to contact Crutchfield since I purchased it through them to see if they can send me a replacement.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:38 AM

I dont know of you are still have problems with your aswc. I took mine back out and followed the reset procedure and let it program itself again and it seems to be working now. You may give this a try if you didnt get it working.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so you need the Axxess - ASWC and then another harness to tap into a pioneer system? i have the pac one but never installed it just seemed like to much work haha
Old 09-05-2011, 06:52 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DJ_FroZone
so you need the Axxess - ASWC and then another harness to tap into a pioneer system? i have the pac one but never installed it just seemed like to much work haha
Well you don't need the additional harness but without the harness you would have to splice into your factory harnesses. With that additional harness from Axxess it is almost too easy to install I almost thought I had done something wrong it just plugs into the ASWC and then into the factory plug and your done! and you also get to keep your 3.5mm jack in the arm rest working. Below are the product details for the Metra 70-8114 harness.

Product Details:

When installing an aftermarket radio, the 70-8114 will allow the user to retain their factory installed steering wheel controls without having to splice into factory wiring (ASWC required and sold separately).

Also includes RCA’s to allow the user to retain their factory installed 3.5mm jack if equipped. (Aftermarket radio must have Aux in).

Originally Posted by Toyofixer
I dont know of you are still have problems with your aswc. I took mine back out and followed the reset procedure and let it program itself again and it seems to be working now. You may give this a try if you didnt get it working.
And I haven't been having any problems now... I don't know why it was acting up.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:49 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member

I added mine to my RS 8.0 and my Pioneer AVHP3200BT on Saturday, it was quick and now it works great.