Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Need help bypassing a 2009 xB SNS navigation motion lock

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 08:13 PM

Default Need help bypassing a 2009 xB SNS navigation motion lock

Here's the story... I bought an OEM Alpine navigation system online for my '09 xB, and brought it to a local car audio shop to get it installed. I went through a couple aftermarket nav systems in my old xB and the full-functionality-while-moving issue was easily resolved by grounding the emergency brake, so I assumed that this was all that I would have to have done to this one. However, this obviously didn't work, and the installation guy said that factory systems are nearly impossible to hack.

I had been looking at an old thread on how to override this motion lock for the '08 tC (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=120107), which described a method that involved cutting a speed sensing wire. However, before I go around chopping anything up, I want to make sure that this would work with an '09 xB.

The aforementioned installation guy is under the impression that the functionality is disabled from the GPS satellites being able to tell that you are moving, and that cutting any speed sensing wire probably wouldn't be enough to do the trick.

So my questions are as follows: is there any reason why this method would work in a tC but not an xB? From what I understand, the same factory nav unit was used in 2008-2009 xBs, xDs, and tCs.

The navigation system, while an OEM unit, was not factory installed. Is there any reason why this would change anything in the hack/bypass procedure?

Lastly, does anybody happen to have a complete wiring map for the SNS? The model number is 08545-00931.

Seriously, any advice would earn my undying gratitude!
Thanks in advance
Old 04-19-2011, 09:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the same system and I took out the speed sensing wire and I can now use any function while driving, except for watching videos but I didn't ground the handbrake wire. It makes the navigation a little slower but it still works. I'm still going to try and put an inline switch on that wire so that it will run smoothly when I need it and then flip the switch and be able to put in a destination.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:07 PM

Thanks so much for confirming that this works!

By "any function except for watching videos", I'm assuming that you mean DVDs and not just videos from an iPod or AUX outlet or anything like that, am I right? Also, if you do have an iPod, did you happen to test whether or not you can access your full library of music while driving?

Lastly, in the thread that I referenced in my OP, some people said that the speed sensing wire was yellow while others said that it was purple. Do you by any chance remember where/what color yours was?
Old 04-19-2011, 10:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=101961

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=112689
Old 04-19-2011, 11:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've never tried watching videos through my ipod, but yes I meant dvd's. And yes I do have full use of my ipod through the headunit. I believe the wire I took out was green or yellow but I think it may be different for the xb. I used this https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...light=sns+hack to help me get it done.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:36 PM

Thanks, guys! You've really been a tremendous help.

A couple of more questions...

1. CIONIDE's first link mentions a green wire "running over to the fuse block behind the dash just left of the steering wheel" that is supposed to be cut. I'm assuming that this is for cars with steering wheel controls for the SNS. Since my nav was not a factory install, my xB doesn't have those steering wheel controls... should I still expect to find this green wire?

2. Vulkinator says that he cannot watch DVDs, but people in the thread from CIONIDE's first link reference being able to watch DVDs. What did they do differently that allowed them to watch DVDs?

3. What exactly is the purpose of connecting the speed sensing wire to a switch?

4. If this switch is necessary to get all the benefits of the hack, what should I tell my installation guy to do for me? Will I myself need to buy any other parts (a "rocker" switch, additional wires) that your average car audio place might not have on hand?

Sorry for asking so many questions... I'm not a big DIY person when it comes to customization, so I just want to be as clear and as thorough as I can when telling other people what I need to have done.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1. The green wire mentioned is probably a wire from the wiring harness that comes with the navigation system. It's supposed to be spliced with other wires to allow steering wheel controls.

2. I can watch dvd's but I just need the parking brake up because I never grounded the parking brake wire. Which is fine with me because I can't watch a movie and drive at the same time anyways.

3. People like to connect the wire to a switch because without the wire navigation is a little bit slower, but still works.(That's how mine is) With a switch though you can flip it to use the head unit then flip it back so that it runs just as smoothly as if you didn't cut the wire.

4. The switch is not necessary, as I do not have one and everything works. You would only need some wire and any sort of toggle switch if you wanted to install it.

Were here to help. If you have any more questions feel free to ask. I'm not a professional though. I just know this because I had installed the unit myself into my Tc and I have done a lot of research on this.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:58 AM

Well thanks for passing on the fruits of your research! Some people are saying that the GPS doesn't track your movement if the purple wire is left disconnected, it just gives you the directions. Has that been the case for you, Vulkinator?
Old 04-20-2011, 01:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I have just recently realized (I kind of ignored it before) that if I'm moving like under 15mph it won't notice that I am moving. As soon as you get up to regular speeds though on the street it will catch up and track your movements from then on. Not really that much of an issue though, unless you plan on taking a road trip driving really slow.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:17 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did this and hooked mine to a switch. After i finished it all i realized i didnt really need to put the switch in. it works fine so far without it switched on.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:04 AM

Hey guys,

I know that it's been a while, but I just wanted to let you know that I got everything done and it is working like a charm! Thank you all for your advice and guidance! I ended up putting the speed sensing wire on a switch, just to have the convenience of eliminating any lag in its tracking.

I drove cross-country a couple of days ago and was able to have full functionality of the GPS while moving, and was even able to listen to lectures on DVD for part of the way, which really helped to minimize the boredom. My installation guy enjoyed the challenge and even commented on how great a reference this forum was.

In short, thanks for your help! This probably won't be the last time I find myself around here.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok out of nowhere my GPS is now acting completely stupid. Its way behind where im physically driving at. I just had my fuse blow and replaced so now im confused why its not working like it used to. Does anyone have any idea?