Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Weapon R throttle controller and Unichip work together?

Old 08-24-2011, 12:25 PM
SL Member

Default Weapon R throttle controller and Unichip work together?

I just came into some cash so I'm putting some money into the xB. I'm already planning on getting a Weapon R intake, header, spipe, throttle body spacer and I wanted to make sure that the Weapon R controller will work with the Unichip model? I'm getting the Wepon R now and the unichip possibly down the road but I want to make sure they are compatible
Old 08-24-2011, 12:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just a quick thought....that is an AWFULLY expensive piece of equipment to simply change 1/4 throttle to 1/2, or 3/4 throttle....it doesn't actually ADD any power to the car.

I would highly recommend purchasing the hotchkis swaybars or tvs stage 1 kit instead of this, they GREATLY improve the performance of the car!

(Not trying to be a negative Nancy, but many people misunderstand this piece and think that it will make more power in their car. It simply changes the throttle control.)
Old 08-24-2011, 03:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

^^truth. In my eyes: suspension first then worry about going fast and increasing power. But since that part doesn't really add power, no need for it.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:12 AM
SL Member

yea, I understand the whole no hp gain, I was reading up on reviews for it and it looked like it made a difference in passing on the freeway because of the throttle signal being sent to the computer, basically it made it seem peppier. I didnt know if having both would really affect any signals going to the computer.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you really want to increase your throttle sensitivity, there are possible mods (CAI for example), but ScionFred's TB P&P is probably the single most effective. The difference is it's real, as opposed to trying to fool the ECU.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...TB+P%26amp%3BP

Still, that isn't a mod to take lightly, but throwing dollars at a variety of mods isn't the way to improve your car. Step one is understanding what you're trying to achieve, and step two is learning how to get there. 'Course, if you've money coming out of your ears, then you can do whatever you like, but that's the exception on this board and even then, it doesn't necessarily translate into the best performing car, especially on a per dollar basis.

Don't automatically assume any mod is a good idea (despite advertising) -- evaluate it yourself (and that includes the mentioned TBS).
Old 08-26-2011, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A CAI can definitely improve throttle response, I even made a thread regarding certain ebay parts that have a high build quality.

The ebay CAI I bought for $75 has held up amazingly, and changed the way the car felt/sounded tremendously!

I would be happy to give you the sellers name if you would like, here is the thread :

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=200725

Personally, I would recommend installing a CAI(cold air intake), using it for a bit and then making your decision about the product you are considering.