Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Throwin' Codes

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 03:23 PM

Default Throwin' Codes

Sup y'all fellow box lovers.
I installed an AEM CAI, Strup 4-1 header, Weapon R S-Pipe and Strup Exhaust a couple weeks ago and the car just keeps throwing codes. I have cleaned the MAF multiple times, yanked the neg off the battery, yanked the fuses and it is still throwing a code. The car barely has 5k miles on it. Anyone else encounter this? Also I did install the CEL eliminator on the header but not one on the s-pipe. Not sure if this would be needed on the s-pipe but I figured I would throw it out there. Also my little bro is a toyota tech in japan but has no thoughts as to what else it could be.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It might help the diagnosis to know exactly which codes are coming up.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

CEL eliminator on the header? if I am not mistaken the pre cat sensor is an A/F ratio sensor not an 02 sensor, If I got it correct the CEL eliminator is meant to trick the ECU that emissions on the car is running normal...before you go to crazy I say relocate the CEL eliminator to the S-pipe and take it from there....I dont ever recall needing two eliminators and none the less one on the header...hope this helps and good luck!
Old 08-25-2011, 05:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

x2 on the codes. Post your codes. Can't help you if we don't know what's wrong....and I believe the CEL eliminator is supposed to go to the S-PIPE.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

why would you put the cel eliminator on the header,put it on the s-pipe,thats proably why your getting the cel
Old 08-26-2011, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DJFRICKENJOSE
Also I did install the CEL eliminator on the header but not one on the s-pipe. Not sure if this would be needed on the s-pipe but I figured I would throw it out there.
If you installed the CEL Eliminator on the header instead of the 'S'-pipe, then you installed it in the wrong place. No wonder you're getting codes! Please move the Eliminator from the header to the 'S'-pipe and then apprise us of your situation !
Old 08-26-2011, 03:34 AM

Well I feel like a douche. I had no instruction manual for the s-pipe so I had to just guess. I will do that in the AM. Thanks everyone!
Old 08-26-2011, 04:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not a problem dude! Just let us know how things work out with the CEL Eliminator on the 'S'-pipe, rather than the header. I'll be really surprised if you continue to have a problem. This stuff takes a little research (certainly true in my case) but unfortunately, many don't recognize that ! It's important to as far as possible absolutely know what your engine mods will result in, and thereby minimize the influence of guessing or supposing !
Old 08-26-2011, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by TrevorS
Not a problem dude! Just let us know how things work out with the CEL Eliminator on the 'S'-pipe, rather than the header. I'll be really surprised if you continue to have a problem. This stuff takes a little research (certainly true in my case) but unfortunately, many don't recognize that ! It's important to as far as possible absolutely know what your engine mods will result in, and thereby minimize the influence of guessing or supposing !
Thanks man. Yeah I will post in the AM with how it goes. This is my 3rd Scion and I guess I should mod them more often loi.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:29 PM

CEL has been moved. I will drive around today and report my findings. Thanks everyone!
Old 08-27-2011, 04:57 AM

Drove it all day.... no probs. Thanks yall!
Old 08-27-2011, 09:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hot diggity dude, congrats on a successful install ! (I just love it when all the pieces come together )!
Old 08-28-2011, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by TrevorS
Hot diggity dude, congrats on a successful install ! (I just love it when all the pieces come together )!
Me too man. Next up is a lighten crank pulley. Trying to decide if the agency power is better then the house of billet.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Me too man. Next up is a lighten crank pulley. Trying to decide if the agency power is better then the house of billet.
NST is also a very popular brand among xB2 owners.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Agency Power provides a highly reliable light-weight crank pulley. You just have to decide if that's what you want or perhaos something a little different !
Old 08-28-2011, 03:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah the NST pulley is great i had one on the xD and it made the car feel sooooo much better the revs matched up better when shifting and downshifting didnt feel so harsh it made everything feel really smooth great product and the weight reduction from the stock pulley to theres is insane
Old 08-28-2011, 10:14 PM

Cool. I will look into those and roll from there. Mod'in my box is becoming quite addicting.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cool. I will look into those and roll from there. Mod'in my box is becoming quite addicting.
Actually, in terms of rev behavior, you'll find the other major brand OE sized lightweight pulleys also meet that description. The difference I had in mind when responding to your Agency Power question was more of pulley diameter (stock or underdrive), but I personally went with the AP.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:06 PM

The lights came back on. I had been driving for about 4 hours in 95 degree heat and they came back on. If I remove the neg for a while it will go away but it still pops back on. I am starting to wonder if part of it is actually my traction control. The car will just break loose whenever now. Not that I am complaining but I guess I should get it fixed.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If the CEL lamp is on, then get it scanned (Autozone perhaps). If you're referring to the TRAC lamp alone, then what are you actually doing when it "breaks free" and what exact behavior are you referring to? For example, TRAC doesn't prevent you from squealing or slipping front tires on loose or hard surface when pulling out from a stop.

Quick Reply: Throwin' Codes