Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

New battery vibrations / Alternator Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Angry New battery vibrations / Alternator Replacement

Hi,

I just replaced the stock battery in my car and now I noticed that when stopped, a very noticeable vibration is coming from the engine. It goes away while in motion and seems to come back for 7 - 8 seconds when stopped. Any ideas on this? The new battery didn't fit exactly the same but it appears to be pretty secured with the tension arm.

Also, my car mechanic connected a multimeter to the old battery while it was still running with the car and told me I needed to replace the alternator. He said that it's not recharging the battery. Anyone else experience this? My car has just 50,000 miles and I have to replace the damn battery.

Thanks for the input.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:20 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

When you disconnect the old battery to put in the new battery,some of the information in the CPU was lost. The CPU will have to relearn some of the information again as you drive.
If the alternator isn't charging the battery the car will eventually stop or won't start and will have to be replaced.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xbscion
When you disconnect the old battery to put in the new battery,some of the information in the CPU was lost. The CPU will have to relearn some of the information again as you drive.
I figured as much. The problem seems to be going away.

Originally Posted by xbscion
If the alternator isn't charging the battery the car will eventually stop or won't start and will have to be replaced.
Well that sucks. Is it a common problem or did I just get unlucky?
Old 09-07-2011, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pm sent
Old 09-07-2011, 04:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's pretty common to need a new battery at ~50k but not an alternator. I find it hard to believe that you really need a new alternator. You may want to get a second opinion on that. I just replaced the Denso alt on my 93 Subaru after 18 years and 177k miles it finally died.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DJrepresent
Also, my car mechanic connected a multimeter to the old battery while it was still running with the car and told me I needed to replace the alternator. He said that it's not recharging the battery. Anyone else experience this? My car has just 50,000 miles and I have to replace the damn battery.
With the engine off, touch a volt meter (DVM or VOM) between the terminals of your battery (red to red/black to black) and make note of the reading. remove the meter and start your engine. Touch the volt meter to the battery again and compare it to your previous reading. If it's at least 1V more than before, your alternator is probably fine.