Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

XM install

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default XM install

I finally bought my receiver and fit kit from Toyota. I just went over the 21 page installation guide and WOW. Lots of stuff to remove to do it. It seems like they utilize existing stuff and make it easy for you but has anyone else done this so i can get some insiders advice?

They run the antenna to the back on top of the car. I REALLLLLY dont want to. I dont want the antenna visible. The top of the car is chest high, itll bother the crap out of me. How bad will my signal be if i just hook it on top of the dash in the windshield? or even run it around the shield and drop it where the rear view is and stick it to the shield?
Old 09-17-2011, 04:09 PM

I put the XM in my 2011. It was very simple and straight forward. You do have to remove alot of stuff. I also did not want my antenna on the out side, so I ran mine to the middle between Dash and windshield. It works OK, It does lose some reception once in awhile but not terrible. I think the small antenna that comes with the XM is part of the issue also. The XM antenna in my wifes Avalon is much larger and it never loses reception where the XB will.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RaceBizz
I put the XM in my 2011. It was very simple and straight forward. You do have to remove alot of stuff. I also did not want my antenna on the out side, so I ran mine to the middle between Dash and windshield. It works OK, It does lose some reception once in awhile but not terrible. I think the small antenna that comes with the XM is part of the issue also. The XM antenna in my wifes Avalon is much larger and it never loses reception where the XB will.
my antenna just took a dive on me. Im getting it replaced under a parts warranty but it came up "Check Antenna" two days after purchasing.

I put my antenna by the A-Pillar and by the center and both locations lost signal like no other. It drove me insane. When i get the new one im going to mount it hidden on the cowl so it can actually get some decent signal.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:16 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

well it wasnt the antenna. Still says check antenna so now i guess ill claim the module itself unless anyone else has an idea of what it could be? electronic connections are all good.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

swapped out the receiver, that part works great now. Moving my antenna to the roof. My reception is very VERY spotty and it aggravates me to no end. Before i rip it all out im going to try to move the antenna for the last time.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have my gps & sirius antenna in the dash. If you pop off the trim around the gauge cluster, off to the left side between the top of the dash and the vent tubing you can wedge the antenna in there.

XM has better signal reception as it uses repeaters (like cell phones) vs sirius which uses direct line of sight so you shouldnt have too many issues with it cutting out.

Mine rarely cuts out and usually if it does its when I'm under power lines. Also make sure if you have window tint that it is metallic free.
Old 11-24-2011, 02:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Where are you guys mounting the reciever?
Old 11-24-2011, 05:31 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i mounted it under the seat like the directions said. I had it under the dash but i honestly think thats what ruined the last one. That antenna is so fragile where it goes into the module. Easily separated from the board.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cool, my unit is sitting on my doorstep waiting to be installed when I get back from visiting the fam.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its real easy to run it up the side and to the radio. I also didnt mount the antenna in the back, too much work. I mounted it through the firewall up the cowl, siliconed it in the windshield channel and stuck it to the top of the roof on the window run molding. Hides good and never skips signal. I tried it inside and that sucked miserably.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats so strange you have so many issues with reception. I install nearly all XM antennas on dashes depending on the vehicle and very rarely do I have that many issues with it.