Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

What is the best "tame" exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 09:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default What is the best "tame" exhaust?

Hey y'all, I've been an xB2 owner and reader of this forum for over a year now but this is one of my first time posting a question.

I want to ask specifically what everyone's opinion is for the best exhaust for my 08 xB2 that is "tame". That is, one that will give a small power increase and a nice throaty tone over the stock. I'm willing to go for a cat-back but I am not in the market for any crazy 4" titanium exhausts meant for boosted rides. The extent of performance mods for my car is limited for now to a CAI and catback.

Anyways, what is y'alls experience with various systems? Best site to buy from, etc. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-06-2012, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Have you searched on this forum and the youtube at all? My best suggestion would be to use the search feature.
For the most part, the only exhaust option is a cat-back for the xB2. This consists of a tube from the resonator/secondary cat to the axle back, and the axle back. Strup seems to make a nice product as well as Tsudo. DC Racing, Borla, HKS, and TRD all make axle backs.
To my knowledge, the only full exhausts available are the TRD replica that is sold on eBay and the CX Racing 3" setup. The CX Racing is pretty darn loud. Low, but loooouud as hell. The TRD rep is pretty decent and not too incredibly loud. In my opinion, the TRD rep is a definite winner due to price and sound.
As far as performance goes, I have yet to see anyone dyno any of their findings. Therefore, any statements should be held as just that.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I've searched around these forums for awhile but all I find is info on how well the exhaust performs, not necessarily it's tone. I've also looked on YouTube but due to poor mics on camcorders, it doesn't really get the proper sound across. I was hoping to find personal experience with a tame sounding exhaust.

The only reason I care about this is because I have a newborn girl and I don't want to have a loud, harsh, and raspy sounding exhaust note when she's riding with me. My car also isn't very tuned yet, so I'm just looking for something to pair up with my CAI to help it breath a little easier.

I think for now, I'm gonna look more into the TRD rep unless someone else has any other good setups to look into. Thanks for the help so far, though.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have and recommend the Strup catback, if I didn't have Strup, I would've gone with TRD.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The ebay axle back (TRD rep) with a CAI and header. Recorded with a $300 Rode mic and my D7000.

VERY tame, but a very subtle growl when accellerating. As usual, exhaust sounded better when actually rolling than sitting in neutral.

There are other videos on my youtube section of : stock exhaust, stock exhaust with intake/header, etc.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

I think someone scooped up the TRD rep and then replaced the axle back with the HKS one. I think it sounded great.

*ninja edit*
Found it.

http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t289/tainoxl_album/?action=view&current=MOV00743.flv
Old 01-15-2012, 03:17 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i also have a strup catback exhaust, and think it sounds great! its gots a nice deep sound and isnt to obnoxious when you really get on it. just my opinion...
Old 01-15-2012, 09:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

have heard the Borla and even owner said it was too loud for them at highway speeds!
Old 01-15-2012, 06:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

If it's too loud, you're too old.
Loud pipes save lives.
More cliche sayings.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xseveredveganx
If it's too loud, you're too old.
Loud pipes save lives.
More cliche sayings.
Yep... if the exhaust is to loud just turn up the stereo
Old 01-15-2012, 10:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tenshun
Yeah I've searched around these forums for awhile but all I find is info on how well the exhaust performs, not necessarily it's tone. I've also looked on YouTube but due to poor mics on camcorders, it doesn't really get the proper sound across. I was hoping to find personal experience with a tame sounding exhaust.
Man! My own experience was that all the feedback was about sound, not performance. Though to be honest, you can't expect much difference in performance without adding more than an axle-back, definite limitations with a cat-back as well. I suggest considering other mod possibilities if power is your concern.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Best exhaust... Open-dump wastegate.

I liked my injen ses axle back with injen sri. No rasp and just enough sound you could hear it. In no way overly loud or flashy. Looked pretty close to stock too
Old 01-15-2012, 11:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i like my ebay catback i got from speed cat i think is the name. Sounds great.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Do you want a single or a dual exhaust set-up? I have the Tsudo Cat back system 4 years now and i just love it! Sounds perfect with normal driving and gives a nice tone when under load. If you want a Single set up i would go either Strup cat back or Ebay cause at least with the ebay kit it replaces the Scuba tank. If i had to choose an axle back system i would go Tanabe or HKS two great company and to clean sounding exhaust's.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not sure Apexi has a part number for our cars yet but the World Sport II is a quiet deep toned system and I would highly recommend it.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ricersux
I'm not sure Apexi has a part number for our cars yet but the World Sport II is a quiet deep toned system and I would highly recommend it.
Nope. Doesn't exist. This is a Scion, not a Honda. No one makes anything for 2nd gens.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xseveredveganx
Nope. Doesn't exist. This is a Scion, not a Honda. No one makes anything for 2nd gens.
Odd that they make a system for 1st gens but not 2nd gens...thats some bullshlt. Im gonna sell my xb in spring time and my new project has everything available so I won't have to worry bout things like with the xb
Old 01-17-2012, 08:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

I just don't think the aftermarket sees the 2nd gen as profitable platform as the 1st gen. There's VERY little for us compared to the 1st gen and tC. Heck, the xD doesn't have much either.
I've considered other cars, but I feel the lack of aftermarket support only makes me work harder at what I want to do.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I must be getting old. After making that video, I went out of my way to make a more free flowing, but quieter exhaust for my xb.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm happy with my Magnaflow cat back. Took a quick vid. Very tame sounding and great SOP power gains.