Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Possible speaker tweak

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 10:07 PM

Default Possible speaker tweak

By no means can I build or design an audio system like some folks have here. I'm more into home audio but do like a nice sounding system in my cars. I listen to jazz and classic rock so a monster sub is not on the horizon. What I am suggesting is this:

If you take a spoon and tap the spider on your speaker, you may find that there is a bit of ring or ting. I've found that applying Dynamat Extreme to the spider will eliminate the ring and ting. You can apply as much as you have surface area or a little. Doing this will bring a bit more mid range out. I had some laying around from a home project and just began preparing my new speaks with the scraps I have.

Another thing to consider is a bit of JB weld touching the magnet to the center. The JB prevents the magnet from coming loose while dealing with potholes and rough roads.

I haven't seen this tweak mentioned here and thought I'd share a bit and hopefully have not let any secrets out for SPL competion.

Gordon
Old 04-07-2012, 03:56 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Haha. SPL secrets huh? You should go look up what a speaker spider is.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:10 PM

Looked it up and yes I was wrong on the nomenclature. Should be basket but you knew that. SPL secrets? I guess my humor was not appreciated.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:35 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I found the stock speakers to be shouty in the midrange. Your modification brought it out more?
Old 04-08-2012, 06:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Stock speakers are designed to be one thing: cheap. I may be putting words in Skyraider's mouth, but I think he means better definition in the midrange: more midrange quality is heard. Subs may drive the beat, but mids are where the music and vocals are. Lots of midrange in car speakers are harsh and glaring. It's a crossover problem: they put cheap ones in the system. A great crossover can cost as much as the drivers themselves.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:23 PM

I'm not familiar with the term "shouty". I'd like to know if that is a car audio term or perhaps your from another country and the translation is lost on me? I've found by matting the basket the midrange (where I believe most of the music is) has more weight and body. Perhaps it may a very small tweak, but trying to extract the most out of what we have is dollar wise.

When looking at the stock speakers, no crossover of any type was noticed by me. On the Polk's I'm trying, there is a rudimentary crossover. I only have the back doors done right now and to be honest, there is just a hint of more clarity which I think will improve once the HU is replaced and an amp installed.

The stock speakers will produce sound and to me, that's about it.

Gordon
Old 04-08-2012, 08:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Shouty - as in, the sound of your wife's voice is very "shouty." Sorry chief, can't make it more American than that. Harsh and glaring is a decent description of it too.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:58 PM

Ah! now I'm on the same page as you! Harsh and glaring would be the right terms for the stock speakers. Veiled and muffled would be next descriptors. Although that does sound like a contradiction! I'm not impressed with them at all.

Gordon