Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Anybody else getting a boomy sound from rear door coaxials?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 08:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Anybody else getting a boomy sound from rear door coaxials?

Im running JL components in the fronts and JL Coaxials in the rear doors.. I did treat and seat the inner door skins with deadener and the foam barrier. It eliminated any transient harmonics and the sound became crystal clear. I notice now that the rear doors are sealed that the speakers bass output is too boomy and not tight at all.. I am reaching out to see would this change from going to more of a dedicated mid-bass driver in a component set up? I "feel" the boomy sound is coming from the coaxial since they are designed to be much of a mid-bass driver kind of speaker..

anyone had any experience with this?
Old 04-13-2012, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I guess nobody listens to music in there cars anymore
Old 04-14-2012, 01:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have luck with Focal & Alpine type R's. Are you running stock HU and are you running any amps? If you have the factory head unit change the setting from feel to hear...makes it sound not as boom..boom
Old 04-14-2012, 02:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pioneer double din head unit. Was pushing a cheaper JL audio amp. Just picked up a JL audio 400/1 and I'm gonna slap it in hopefully This morning. I'm just thinking that maybe the coaxials I'm general just sound blah. Maybe turn the rear fills into a dedicated 6.5 driver with no highs
Old 04-15-2012, 02:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I get the same from my stock rear speakers. I'm running 250rms (125wrms each side) comps in the front and a 500w sub. The stock speakers just suck.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I'm no longer stock. I am thinking after deadening the door and sealing it, it has caused the door to have that boomy box sound. I'm just wondering if this is more specific with coaxial than seperates
Old 04-15-2012, 06:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by kingofthecrate
Well I'm no longer stock. I am thinking after deadening the door and sealing it, it has caused the door to have that boomy box sound. I'm just wondering if this is more specific with coaxial than seperates
my bad I misread your original post
Old 04-17-2012, 07:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Part of the problem with the rear door speaker sound is the actual position of the speaker: right behind the front seats. There is no way that you're going to hear any good mids or highs to balance the bass from those speakers. An audio rule of thumb: can't see'em, can't hear'em. The midbass, will travel well, so that's what you're hearing most of.

I think a better location for rear speakers are in the back cubbies. At most you'll get a 5-1/4" in there, not a lot of bass, but better rear fill. I've been trying to do this; got the speakers, panels are made, but all I need now is the time (which is in short supply).
Old 04-17-2012, 07:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by KaneoheKoa
Part of the problem with the rear door speaker sound is the actual position of the speaker: right behind the front seats. There is no way that you're going to hear any good mids or highs to balance the bass from those speakers. An audio rule of thumb: can't see'em, can't hear'em. The midbass, will travel well, so that's what you're hearing most of.

I think a better location for rear speakers are in the back cubbies. At most you'll get a 5-1/4" in there, not a lot of bass, but better rear fill. I've been trying to do this; got the speakers, panels are made, but all I need now is the time (which is in short supply).
Yeah and to be honest, I dont feel like cutting into those rear quarter panels. I am starting to think (and you are right to an extent) that the sealed doors just makes for a poor sealed design for those mids.

I actually swapped out my JL a/b amp for a JL XD400/4 D amp and after looking at the cut offs on the first amp, it wasnt set up up.. (back to rule of thumb) start at the beginning. After installing the new amp, I rolled everything off at about 55hz and left the radio in full range mode. It got a lot better and now I am just deciding on weather or not to go full mid sub driver in those rear doors because after having a child. I dont think I will be doing much with the sub staging with him in the car and the stroller in the way of a sealed enclosure in the rear. I am fine with a good 6.5 mid sub driver in the doors just to give me a simple thump.. Hell after all my B&W SM6's have a 6 inch driver and they amount of low end those things deliver will blow you away and have you looking for a sub.

I can't remember the depth that is allowed in the rear door but I think there is a crash bar right behind that rear door speaker limiting room for a deep 6.5 sub driver..

any suggestions?