Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

WTB 2008 xb engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default WTB 2008 xb engine

some body help me to get an engine for my 2008 xb,call me @ 561-389-8738,thanks.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:31 PM

How about telling us what happened to your other motor...
Old 05-11-2012, 09:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The engine still in the car,the only thing i know is that it's locked up.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:15 PM

Well the reason I asked was because I know this little 2.4 is a reliable motor and I haven't read much about them failing. That's the main reason I purchased this vehicle...

I wanted to know what specifically is wrong with yours. Locked up to me means that the crank won't turn. If that's the case then have you had it looked at my a mechanic to see why it's "locked up". Did it overheat or run very low on oil. Is it timing chain related? Have you tried removing the plugs and turning the crank by hand?...

Also what's the history of mods and miles on the motor? I would assume if it's locked up, that it led a hard life...

Anyways, good luck with your motor...
Old 05-12-2012, 03:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by KoolBox
The engine still in the car,the only thing i know is that it's locked up.
Locked up sounds like it ran very low on oil or coolant or breathed in water (from reading, it's a non valve-piston interference design). What happened? If you really don't know, then if replaced, it could happen again !
Old 05-13-2012, 06:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well,i think i know what happen,it was raining a lot,and got in a big water poddle,maybe i got some water in the engine,i will take it to the dealer on monday to see whath they say,wish me luck.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by _Boat_
Well the reason I asked was because I know this little 2.4 is a reliable motor and I haven't read much about them failing. That's the main reason I purchased this vehicle...

I wanted to know what specifically is wrong with yours. Locked up to me means that the crank won't turn. If that's the case then have you had it looked at my a mechanic to see why it's "locked up". Did it overheat or run very low on oil. Is it timing chain related? Have you tried removing the plugs and turning the crank by hand?...

Also what's the history of mods and miles on the motor? I would assume if it's locked up, that it led a hard life...

Anyways, good luck with your motor...
I am not sure if Toyota made some mods to the 2.4l engine in the 2008- present XB but if you type 2.4l Camry and head bolts stripped, you will get page after page detailing the issue the 2.4l engine with this(basically 3 of the back headbolts strip themselves out over time and take the threads of the block with them.

Also the 2.4 eats water pumps
Old 05-13-2012, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by journeyforce
I am not sure if Toyota made some mods to the 2.4l engine in the 2008- present XB but if you type 2.4l Camry and head bolts stripped, you will get page after page detailing the issue the 2.4l engine with this(basically 3 of the back headbolts strip themselves out over time and take the threads of the block with them.

Also the 2.4 eats water pumps
I'll be sure to tell that to my buddy who got 300,000 miles out of his...

I also read that the rear rotors are a dealer only item...

well,i think i know what happen,it was raining a lot,and got in a big water poddle,maybe i got some water in the engine,i will take it to the dealer on monday to see whath they say,wish me luck.
Hydrolocked!...OUCH. Thanks for the explanation. I hope you didn't bend a rod. You should take the spark plugs out and turn the motor by hand to push out the water from the cylinders and then squirt a tsp of oil into the cylinders. If you're lucky, it might start...
Old 05-14-2012, 02:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What air intake do you have?
Old 05-14-2012, 03:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Factory intake.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Factory intake.
Factory intake is highly unlikely to be the problem (above transmission air box with looped snorkel that places actual air intake at upper front grill level). Lock up was almost certainly due to something else -- have you checked the oil and coolant levels?
Old 05-14-2012, 07:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote=_Boat_;4014561]I'll be sure to tell that to my buddy who got 300,000 miles out of his...

I also read that the rear rotors are a dealer only item...[quote]

Hard to believe that hardened carbon steel studs could ever pull out of cast aluminum... This is surely exclusive to the 2AZ-FE and crappy Toyota products!

Thanks...