Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Cel 2121

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 10:01 PM

Default Cel 2121

I have a 2012 xb with a trd cat back, pioneer deck, compustar alarm, remote start and drone.
I got the p2121 code which is the throttle position sensor and took it to the stealership. They told me that they would order the part and have it by Tuesday ,but all the wires under my dash was suspicious. I said that that is just the alarm and remote start and they said that they have to tell me that because the will send the defective part back to Toyota for inspection and if it is because of the alarm/ remote start it is my responsibility. I told them that there are not any wires directly connected to the throttle pedal assembly so how could this be the fault of the alarm and again they told me that it is just something that they have to tell me. They gave me a rental car until my car is fixed no charge unless they come back with it being a alarm problem.
This whole thing got me thinking the whole way home, they have my car and are they just going to find a way to make the situation my fault? I looked up the magnuson-moss warranty law that bans dealerships from trying to use aftermarket alarms from voiding warranties and gave me a little ease.
Really, they will do anything to get out of warranty work!
Old 09-30-2012, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Have you tried clearing the code first and see if it came back? Also Toyota has to prove somehow the alarm caused the MIL light to come on.

Also who installed the alarm as you may have some recourse on them if it is indeed the installers/shops fault.

But nowadays with drive by wire I'm a little out of touch on how alarms do remote start. But like you I doubt there is any play with the TPS.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:52 PM

Yes, my scan tool can clear the code and it came back.
I was watching the tech scan the codes and talked to him as he walked up to the service manager and he confirmed the p2121 code. The thing I thought was strange was that the tech was almost worried to tell the service manager like it would not get approved for warranty. I just got a strange vibe! I probably should have researched stealerships befor choosing this, but it was close and my car was in limp mode.

I got in touch with the installer and he said they cannot use the alarm or remote start for an excuse. He was the one that brought up that law.