Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

DIYing my 08 xB2's fuel and intake cleaning?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 02:25 PM

Default DIYing my 08 xB2's fuel and intake cleaning?

Toyota dealer recommended a stack of services totaling hundreds, but which I know I can do myself for much, much less, including:

- Injector cleaning
- De-carb of intake
- Brake flush (might not be able to do myself, savvy-or-equipment-wise)

Now, I am going to go ahead and assume I'll do the MAF and maybe some plugs, too, since I got hit with the rough-idle sputter this morning on the way to work.

I assume that most of this is no-brainer and can be done with some cans of BG stuff, etc. But since the Box is relatively new to me (less than a year),
I'm posting here to find out if there are any tricks or little things I need to know beforehand.
I'm no mechanic but I can work on my own cars a bit; biggest issue is that I don't have a garage or specific automotive tools.

Thoughts?

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-18-2018 at 05:20 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

First of all how many miles you got on it currently? Seems too soon if its new.

-Injector cleaning- dump a bottle of the lucas injector cleaner in the fuel tank after every oil change or lasts 25 tanks You can get it at wally world for $5.

-De-carb intake- Self explanatory. Just be very careful with the maf. Its very delicate. Clean with a rag if it has build up and dont' spray directly on it. All other parts clean as usual. (wipe down or let them dry)

-Brake Flush- I assume yours brake fluid is black.. Easiest way is to have a friend. Start with opening the MC and pull the wheels off. Start on the RR and open the bleed valve and have your friend pump and watch the level at the MC and keep pouring fresh brake fluid.

Repeat for LR, then FR then FL. You may get some air in the system so you may have to do a it more. (if you want pics you can google them) Most cars are similar.

If you are by yourself you can get a mighty vac brake self bleeder system. Its very easy to use. If you do not have basic handtools then do not even bother to attempt. Im sure any friend of yours will have some decent tools.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:00 PM

Oh it's over 60K miles. Might be 70 actually, can't remember offhand.

Picked up some BG 44k for the injectors. Need to look at the MAF cleaning howto for specifics on that service.

If I can't get a friend to help me do a full brake flush, I can at least change the fluid in the reservoir itself. Friend of mine does this on his Corvettes from time to time when he can't get a full flush in and says it helps.

I have plenty of hand tools, just nothing really auto-oriented beyond torx wrenches. (I don't have, say, torque wrench, filter wrench, floor jack, ramps, etc)
Old 11-09-2012, 10:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

REDACTED

Last edited by pyroman131; 07-21-2018 at 05:16 AM.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by pyroman131
All of that stuff you can do yourself.

For a good oil filter tool, I went with the long plyers type from AutoZone. It's an $8 tool. Good torque wrenches are pretty expensive if bought brand new: I bought mine second-hand at a flea market for dirt cheap. Jacks are cheap, too. You can buy a decent one for ~$40 and a set of Jack stands for $20.

As long as I'm young and capable, I'd never pay someone to do something for me that I could do for free. It's a financially unintelligent decision to pay hundreds of dollars for services that would cost you nothing to do yourself.
LOL, no, I know - I don't need any of those things right now, that was just an example. I'm going to grab the MAF sensor stuff this evening and do that tomorrow. What I can't find, though, is how to clean the intake itself.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:22 AM
SL Member

BG sells a throttle body cleaner in a spray can. The also have a three part kit that comes with the 44k and the other cans you run threw the brake booster vacuum line while the engine is running. That's how we do it at work. The maf sensor, I don't recommend messing with. If you really must get some electrical parts cleaner and lightly spray it and NEVER touch the wires inside. Lol. Also as for the brakes you can also open the lines and gravity bleed them. It will take a while but if you can't get someone to pump them while you open and close the line it's a thought.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

REDACTED

Last edited by pyroman131; 07-21-2018 at 05:16 AM.