Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Is the uni chip really worth it ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 12:34 PM

Default Is the uni chip really worth it ?

Do you think the unichip is a worth while mod
Old 05-17-2013, 02:33 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

curoius as well. i've looked into it for my tc but seems hardly anyone owns one.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:35 PM
SL Member

i've got a friend that has one on his tc2. he says he notices a difference but he doesn't have any numbers just yet
Old 05-18-2013, 09:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Unichip is a piggyback and the ots maps will only give you a little boost in power. If you get a custom tune it will make more of a difference. This is the same concept for every tuning related product.

The benefit of the Unichip is that it's plug n play and does not modify the stock ecu settings.

I run one on my S/C tC1 with the base maps and it's only a slight difference in power but the power curve feels smoother than with the TRD reflash. No I do not have any graphs or dyno numbers.

Another down side is that Unichip tuners are hard to find. As for worth, it really depends on what you really want from tuning and how much you're willing to spend. I like my Unichip but I don't feel it's worth the $300-$400 price tag.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:54 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by RS2Blitz
Unichip is a piggyback and the ots maps will only give you a little boost in power. If you get a custom tune it will make more of a difference. This is the same concept for every tuning related product.

The benefit of the Unichip is that it's plug n play and does not modify the stock ecu settings.

I run one on my S/C tC1 with the base maps and it's only a slight difference in power but the power curve feels smoother than with the TRD reflash. No I do not have any graphs or dyno numbers.

Another down side is that Unichip tuners are hard to find. As for worth, it really depends on what you really want from tuning and how much you're willing to spend. I like my Unichip but I don't feel it's worth the $300-$400 price tag.

Agreed, if you're going to get heavy into tuning I would spend a little more for a standalone computer. I have the Uni-chip plug and play in my 2010 XB and I do notice the power difference, however I also have a turbo in there with it. All the computer does is intercept the signals from your stock ECU and convert them to new signals, tricking your computer pretty much and just clashing with it. I've read on other forums that people sometimes have to have the computer retuned because the stock ECU relearns it's original patterns and ignores the uni-chip. I'm not sure if that is true because I never ran into this problem.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have one and it seems like a slight advantage
Old 08-02-2013, 08:17 AM
5 Year Member

i heard only negative things surrounding those. youll probably better off letting your engine breathe more.