Notices
Buyer / Seller Experiences rant or rave about an exchange...
View Poll Results: Norwalk Toyota Sucks?
YES, They suck
76.92%
NO, They are OK
23.08%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

DEALER B*LL SH*T - Trying to Resign me on Contract

Old 06-17-2004, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default DEALER B*LL SH*T - Trying to Resign me on Contract

For those of you that know. I bought my Scion at Norwalk Toyota.
I got a call about 3 days ago. They are asking to come down and sign a "NEW" contract. They said that they sold me on 4.5% APR and that Scion said they were not allowed, the minimum for that time period was 4.65%.

1) My salesman triple checked the APR rates when I signed the original contract.
2) The problem is over a matter of $55. $ 1/month added to my contract.
3) Bugging me and my co-signer "Fiance" while she was at work trying to get me to bring the car back and resign.

AVOID NORWALK TOYOTA AT ALL COSTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can not believe anyone would have the ballz to call a customer back and ask them to resign a contract. ESPECIALLY asking me for MORE MONEY......NO F*&%Kin way. The salesman is only making their company look bad by doing this.

No I understand there is a bigger problem at hand. Scion demands a certain standard to be held. So if this is so, then why did the salesman check 3 times to confirm I was sold on the right interest rate, only to have to call me telling me there
was a mistake. TOYOTA get your act together and your communication channels fixed. Toyota is not a "Mom and Pop Shoppe" this kind of thing only makes Toyota look stupid and unable to take care of their customers as they should.

Furthermore, I probably would have no problem with resigning a new contract if the guys would simply say "We screwed up, why don't we make it up to you and install a FREE AEM intake or TRD Exhaust"

Obviously, Norwalk Toyota is not to concerned with saving their image with Scion. Otherwise they would have offered compensation up front when they initially called me.

Ooooohh BTW, if you look on www.bbb.org "Better Business Bureau" here:

http://www.labbb.org/scripts/cgiip.e...ID=1&hAddrID=1

You will see that Norwalk Toyota has a "...this company has an unsatisfactory record with the Bureau" Dang I guess I should have looked there first. Sucks to be me.
Now I locked into a contract with yet another stupid organization......Chalk one up for the stereotypical Car Salesman.

I recommend Puente Hills Toyota, or Glendora. Both check out OK with the Better Business Bureau.

Funny thing is, what are they gonna do REPO my xB, I don't thing so. I have a written contract of sales in my hands. Not to mention the interest on the contract shows 4.5%.

The salesman says that he has not submitted my paperwork yet, since the proper interest rate needs to be accounted for. Once the paperwork is in they said that is when I will be scheduled for a first payment.
Like I care!!! If my payment book comes to me with anything other then what was contracted, believe me the GM, Regional GM, Board of Directors and the BB will hear from me.

"EXHALES" now that that's of my chest.......What do you think? Anyone being handled this way? Do you think I am BS'in or righteous with my thoughts? What are your suggestions?

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-13-2021 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge
Old 06-17-2004, 03:29 AM
Banned
SL Member

Talk directly with Toyota Financial Services or 1-866-70-SCION. However, as of now, the lowest APR on TFS IS, 4.65%. Do you have any hard copy referring to TFS APR 3-days ago?
Old 06-17-2004, 04:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I only have the original contract as of 2 weeks ago. It states the APR of 4.5%. What os TFS?
Old 06-17-2004, 05:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I say don't sign it... I got a call a few days after my sale... but instead of getting 10.xx rate.. it dropped down to 4.5 .... i guess i lucked out...
give them the post link in an emal, or when you go to "sign the paperwork.. make sure they see this, and i am sure that they will forget about the .1 percent interest
Old 06-17-2004, 05:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree with you 100%

This is not a 2-way street. A signed contract binds BOTH parties, neither is allowed to cancel for any reason.

While my Scion purchase was a smooth and honest one, I have had all kinds of crap pulled by salespersons with other car purchases. If you made a mistake and wanted to change the deal to your advantage after all paperwork was signed, good luck!

They can live with this mistake, don't give in.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If it goes to court they lose. A contract is a contract. A legal binding document. They can not force you to sign another because they quoted thewrong rate. Either 1)you are a nice guy and give into there mistake or 2)they suck it up. What's $55 to a billion dollar company anyways?
Old 06-17-2004, 12:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Got a lawyer in the family?
Now's the time to make him/her dinner.
FYI -we got like 4.1 when we signed...

Try not to let it bug you too much. Hey even if you lose (which I don't think you will), it's not alot of scratch and you STILL have the coolest and cheapest car on the road...

now go get 'em
Old 06-17-2004, 01:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i had a co-worker with a problem like this.

he bought a s-10 pick-up. the dealer put the price on the contract 8000 less than what it was on the sticker. (no, it was not a left over or demo. it was brand new)

my co-worker thought he was getting the bait and switch but went ahead and bought it. no problems, everybody signed it, finance was ok....

then a week later the dealer sent him a certified letter with a new contract in it, asking him to sign it and send it back. they caught the error, but too late. my co-worker took the papers to a lawyer friend to see if things were ok.
so he was told the original contract is legal and binding, the dealer must honor it.

so, another two weeks pass now his temp plate runs out. my co-worker call the dealer to find out where his real plates are.
The dealer would not give him the plates until he signed the new contract.(ain't that some ____)

so, to end this long story, my co-worker held his ground and won after a long battle.

if the contract is valid, hold your ground.

Old 06-17-2004, 01:47 PM
xb
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my friend was a dealer, he told me the dealer making $ from the interest rate, so that's why they can sell a car below the the MSRP but you have get the loan though them. not sure the Scion is in the same case. when buying my bB, my friend change the contract , drop 1% from the Scion posted rate( zone 1 or zone 2 something) so the end of the morgage, i save few hundreds in my pocket.
Old 06-17-2004, 02:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

What you guys aren't realizing is that the salesman has nothing to do with any of this. He gets absolutely no benefit from your interest rate going up. He sold you the car so he is responsible for being the one who calls you and tells you that you were signed up at the wrong rate. Trust me I've been the one who has had to make that call before and it is NOT a call I wish to make again. Toyota has changed the rate 3 times in the past 2 weeks (4.3 to 4.5 to 4.65) and I know that it has upset a lot of customers. You have to understand that launching a new line of cars nationwide isn't an easy thing. Now I know Toyota is a huge corporation and should have everything under control but face it, mistakes happen no matter how big or small the company. I'm not defending Norwalk because for all I know they could have "forgot" to process your paperwork before the rate went up, who knows. All I am saying is that with a new car line, stuff like this happens.[/b]
Old 06-17-2004, 02:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

....and I'm not saying go back and re-sign. Like so many others have said, a contract is a contract and legally binding. I would not sign anything else if I were you.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Hold your ground for sure!!!

I had a similar problem but not near as bad example my wife and I bank with Bank of America Military branch, when it came time to buy a new car I got a loan through them(better rates!!!) We qualified for 3.90% very, very good on a new car. When we walked in and picked out the car we wanted, they insisted that we apply for a loan through them, regardless of already being approved from our bank! Dumb asses! They told me "I could get a lower rate" Yeah right jack off! Finally I told them what I had gotten and they were shocked they thought I was lying! Whatever! Long story shorten! Stick with your contract, make extra copies and hide in several places...I wouldn't put it pass someone trying to steal your documents, really I wouldn't. I guess dealers will always try something. Good luck! Were all here to help!
Old 06-17-2004, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by saronian
I agree with you 100%

This is not a 2-way street. A signed contract binds BOTH parties, neither is allowed to cancel for any reason.
Unless there are terms in the contract making its validy dependent upon the approval of the lender. Beware of the weasel words!

I've never seen this used to get a fractional increase in interest rate, but I have seen it used to sign someone who thinks that they are going to get 4% and later switch them to 15% after the finance company rejects them. I'd say in this case the drone filling out the paperwork used an outdated reference and now they are trying to cover their tracks.

George
Old 06-18-2004, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't know the fine details of this so please don't take this as a defense of the dealership. They may well be jerks, but there are a couple of things to consider. On June 11, I was sent a fax from TFS with a rate change. The rier 1 rate changed from 4.2% to 4.4% (each region is slightly different). The problem was, this memo was dated June 2 and all rates were effective as of June 2. That means any contract I wrote on a tier 1 customer between the 2nd and the 11th was invalid and has to be resigned. Its not like I have another bank with rates that low that I can switch to.

Also, you likely signed something called a "MacArthur Statement". That statement means you agree to either bring the car back or resign documents if the signed contract can't be approved. Its your call, but you can't just keep the car. If you never signed this form, you've got them totally over a barrel.
Old 06-18-2004, 05:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

They made a mistake. I bet they are afraid that they will be punished by Toyota for a compliance issue. Not necessarily true. Toyota knows that mistakes happen and wont punish the dealer for one problem, generally, as long as it doesn't happen all the time. They screwed up and should just eat it gracefully.
Old 06-18-2004, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cliffy1
Also, you likely signed something called a "MacArthur Statement". That statement means you agree to either bring the car back or resign documents if the signed contract can't be approved. Its your call, but you can't just keep the car. If you never signed this form, you've got them totally over a barrel.
:oops: Sorry for the comment before, I thought I was being funny.
Old 06-18-2004, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by jdavid
I hope they repo your ___ for $55. I wouldn't give you fricken keychain.

what dealer are you from?
ill make sure i wont send anybody over there

j/k
Old 06-18-2004, 07:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by jdavid

Cliffy1 is absolutely right. I hope they repo your ___ for $55. I love my Scion and I love selling them, but there are some really cheap customers out there. AEM or TRD products? I wouldn't give you fricken keychain.
Typical talk from a salesman...Nuff' said...

As for the dude who needs to resign the contract, I say don't do it...I got an APR of 2.7% with my contract so that bull____ contract they're trying to get you sign at over 4% and it being some sort of Scion standard is a lie...Don't do it, they cannot repo the car...They can make you take it back and they can come and get it, but it will not go on your record as a repo because you didn't resign a new contract...If they try and tell you that it will be a repo, thats another bull____ scare tactic they'll use to get you in there to resign...

How do I know this??? Because Puente Hills Toyota/Scion trid the same thing with me...At least you got the call three days after the deal...The bastards at Puente Hills called me 30 days after I signed the contract and took delievery...They told me they needed more money down from me, and that my current contract would have to be resigned under new terms...I fought with them over a week about it, and even got the threat of the repo...I told them to come and get it then, and I'll see their ___ is court... They gave in and let my deal stand as it is...More money down or not, different APR needed or not...A contract is legally binding, and if it's their mistake, it's their mistake...

If need be take their ___ to court, and get your car for free...I threatened to do it to Puente Hills, and they shut up and backed down real quick...Why??? Because they know they messed up on the deal, and a contract is legal once it's inked by both parties...

Worse comes to worse bro let them have the box back and go get one from another dealership that knows how to treat people like valued customers instead of another stepping stone toward their quota...

My 2 Dollars

DAN
Old 06-18-2004, 07:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 7red7
...A contract is legally binding, and if it's their mistake, it's their mistake...
Be careful with the legal advice here. You got away with it, but if the guy signed a MacArthur statement, that too is a contract and breach of it can land you in jail on an "unauthorized use" charge. Again, I'm not defending the dealership because I really don't know the details, but you're advising him to do something illegal.

As I said... if he didn't sign the MacArthur, the dealership is bound to the contract. They signed it and must honor it, even if that means they carry the note themselves. The MacArthur gives them an out and gives the customer the opportunity to return the vehicle if he doesn't agree with the new terms.
Old 06-19-2004, 12:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Oh for sure if theres an agreement signed alreayd stating that you have to return the car should the contract not get approved, then yes by all means return the car and try and get one through another dealership...By no means do I want to see anyone go to jail over a stupid finance dispute...

*my apologies for unsound advice without knowing the full details*

If the situation is like mine though, and there is no MacArthur agreement signed, then by all means you should have the dealership where you want them and can hold your ground and demand the contract sticks...

You know one valuable lesson I've learned from buying my Scion (in contrast to my previous cars) is that you should always buy during the daytime and as early as possible...This way you can avoid any hassles from the banks and know your contract is approved before signing anything and taking delivery...

It might only be my opinion, but does anyone else here think that dealerships in general should be able to legally let you drive off not knowing you're really approved and being financed at the price and rates you signed for???

Just a thought, sorry for the ramble, and I didn't mean to hijack the thread if I did...I just get concerned and want to help those who are experiencing what I went through...My dealership experience was horrible after I signed my contract, and I'll never go back to Puente Hills Toyota for anything...It's just a shame that things like this can come up and ruin your good car buying experience...

DAN

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DEALER B*LL SH*T - Trying to Resign me on Contract