View Full Version : New xB Haters. What's the verdict?

THE_DON
04-04-2007, 04:30 PM
The the pictures are out. We've seen 'em in person. The price was leaked. Some of us have even had the fortune to test drive one.

What's the final verdict. Still hate it? Still think Scion made a mistake?

-THE DON

THE_DON
04-04-2007, 04:30 PM
I personally still like the old box better. The new one looks funny, it's not the JDM tuner car it used to be, and I stand by my original opinion that Scion set out to build a 4-door tC after the success they had with it.

Do I hate the new xB? Nah. Did it ruin Scion's image? Nope. Will it sell? I've always said yes. Will I buy one? Not really, (can't get over the bodystyle) but it is right there with other cars I would consider.

I think the new xB is kinda like the new Beetle. (stay with me here) Same car, same name, just better in every way. Looks are subjective, but it's definitely a whole new car for a whole new crowd. Did the new Beetle ruin the original Beetle's reputation? No. Did VW loose all credibilty for destroying a classic? Not realy. Are there still old guys fixing up classic Bugs? Sure.

So, I forgive Scion for not changing the name. It's cool. Still love my gen 1, and will not hate on the new xB anymore....

That is, until some young chump rolls up in one and revs on me, talkin' about, "I got tha tC engine yo, I'll smoke yo azz, son" Then I will be annoyed!

-THE DON

shorberg
04-04-2007, 04:36 PM
WORD. I might buy one . . . we'll see.

stankubrick
04-04-2007, 04:37 PM
I still think it's hideous. (That rear fender flare looks like a chicken drumstick from certain angles...lol)

But damn, you sure do get a lot for the money. (only about $1,200 more than xB1?!)

So yeah, that about sums it up: Kinda ugly, but an outstanding deal. (I guess that's sorta the essence of Scion)

OldYeller
04-04-2007, 05:06 PM
I will test drive it tonight and let you know........

shorberg
04-04-2007, 05:07 PM
$1,770 more. got to include destination charges

stankubrick
04-04-2007, 05:53 PM
IF I happened to be in the market for a larger family car right now, my practical side would force me to seriously consider the xB2 despite my distaste for its exterior looks. I am still amazed at what you get for the money! On the other hand, my superficial side would never forgive me if I ever got a car that looked so overtly attempting to be trendy and hip (whereas the xB1 was hip without really trying). Alas, considering the alternatives, there still is nothing else that can really stack up to the xB2's value and utility, so I think the practical side will end up winning for A LOT of people. Looks like Scion's got another winner here.

BuddhasTC
04-05-2007, 12:12 AM
personally i think the new xB looks like a new gen xA. The xD is closer to an xB. I like the new xB that was released in Japan...that one is nice

superboxcarxb
04-05-2007, 03:50 AM
if the price is right, i'm ready to trade in and buy it. I didn't like it at first, and i talked smack about it when it first came out. But now, i like it. I can see the possibilities in it now. There are a lot of things you can do with it. I will for sure buy one if the price is right.

Gsnorgathon
04-05-2007, 05:07 AM
It's a great deal, I have a hard time imagining it won't sell like crazy, if it were called an xE I'd just go "eh," but the fact that it's called an xB makes me kinda angry. Dunno why.

I agree with BuddhasTC - the first time I saw the pics of the xB2 and the xD, I couldn't tell they were two different cars. I like the xA and xB a lot better.

DriverXa
04-05-2007, 05:27 AM
It looks good, I like the welcome in power, but for a starting price of $17,000 I'll pass.

OldYeller
04-05-2007, 07:24 AM
There are some nice features on the new xB--two dome lights (one actully within reach of the driver), temperature guage, extra air bags, electronic power steering, etc. While it is bigger, it was hard to "feel" any extra room in the cabin. definitely more trunk though. The one I drove was an auto--and it was a good ride. I will stick with the original---but the new one is a trerrific value if someone needs a new car........

xBster
04-05-2007, 10:03 AM
Gen1 is still the one for me. I just can't get the SUV image out of my head with the new one and it is slowly creeping out of my range with the price and I'm sure we will have pages of complaints with the gas mileage. I like the new safety features though

ajayaitch
04-05-2007, 11:01 AM
I think the new xB is kinda like the new Beetle. (stay with me here) Same car, same name, just better in every way. Looks are subjective, but it's definitely a whole new car for a whole new crowd. Did the new Beetle ruin the original Beetle's reputation? No. Did VW loose all credibilty for destroying a classic? Not realy. Are there still old guys fixing up classic Bugs? Sure.

-THE DON

I gotta disagree with you here. VW absolutely lost all credibility with the air-cooled crowd, and that was even before the NB was released. It started with them going after shops with VW, Volkswagen, Bug (which was never an official VW name), Beetle or the VW logo in their name. It got to the point where shops couldn't have magazine advertisements featuring a VW Bus if it still had the factory emblem on the front.
VW to this day treats the cars, and their owners that literally created the company like they're bastard stepchildren. There is no support for them at the dealer, which shouldn't really come as too much of a surprise, given their age. However if you look at the domestic side, GM for example, has a FACTORY program to supply vintage resto parts.
A lot of people in the AC crowd understand that VW has to protect their marks. However most feel that they went about it in the completely wrong way, and the animosity towards the company may never be fully cleansed. Some feel that VW doesn't even care, and takes the opportunity to kick the AC crowd in the head while we're lieing in the gutter, every time they walk by.
Yea, that was a little dramatic, sorry.

I guess my point is, after going back and reading it again, is that, to those that we're never "in the scene", sure, VW hasn't lost any cred. They never really had it to begin with. I would guess that more people bought the NB for its shape, than its heritage. Those that have been around for awhile though, know better.

Threadjack complete.

XbbbbBox
04-05-2007, 02:06 PM
New XB has a list if impressive features. Would like to know M.P.G. ratings.
For me the XB is not a looker UNLESS- you add a body kit and big rims - which where I live big rims are a disaster due to road conditions.
The rear light on the left side of the rear bumper is ugly, not to mention the black grill up front - makes it look like every Toyota - I know it can be changed out.
Also no AWD - not even an option.
Definately has me looking at other vehicles when I trade end of the summer. . .

THE_DON
04-05-2007, 02:47 PM
I gotta disagree with you here. VW absolutely lost all credibility with the air-cooled crowd, and that was even before the NB was released. It started with them going after shops with VW, Volkswagen, Bug (which was never an official VW name), Beetle or the VW logo in their name. It got to the point where shops couldn't have magazine advertisements featuring a VW Bus if it still had the factory emblem on the front.
VW to this day treats the cars, and their owners that literally created the company like they're bastard stepchildren. There is no support for them at the dealer, which shouldn't really come as too much of a surprise, given their age. However if you look at the domestic side, GM for example, has a FACTORY program to supply vintage resto parts.
A lot of people in the AC crowd understand that VW has to protect their marks. However most feel that they went about it in the completely wrong way, and the animosity towards the company may never be fully cleansed. Some feel that VW doesn't even care, and takes the opportunity to kick the AC crowd in the head while we're lieing in the gutter, every time they walk by.
Yea, that was a little dramatic, sorry.

I guess my point is, after going back and reading it again, is that, to those that we're never "in the scene", sure, VW hasn't lost any cred. They never really had it to begin with. I would guess that more people bought the NB for its shape, than its heritage. Those that have been around for awhile though, know better.

Threadjack complete.

I feel you on all that... And I agree. But I also said about the new bug:
it's definitely a whole new car for a whole new crowd.
-THE DON

Just like VW, Toyota doesn't care who started the trend, they don't care about the loyal following that spawned a love for their brand.... They just want more sales. Scion is definitely capitalizing on the "xB crowd" to sell what's basically a tC wagon.

Scion never really cared about the bB/JDM loving crowd anyway. In fact, they didn't know it even existed. Remember, they assumed the xA would out sell the xB 2 to 1 because it was more "normal" looking.

That's why I've decided to just let it go. I've loved the bB since before it came here. I had one of the first '04 xBs on the street in So Cal. But life goes on. If they ruin the bodystyle, or change the entire class of the vehicle, what can I do? I still have mine.

I've said it before... Despite Scion's "cool" marketing scheme of being a "trendy, underground" car company, the truth is they sell Toyotas. And their goal is to sell as many as possible to a large group of people. So they don't really care about small, cult followings. Even if it's those people who really boosted their brand, and not their stupid "urban" marketing.

-THE DON

shorberg
04-05-2007, 05:49 PM
Don, we care about you. At least I do! ;)

The truth is that Scion is about marketing to a younger audience that cannot be sold to. By capturing this audience, several others followed suit. Now that we have those folks attention, we'll change it up and go after someone else. Alot of you will come along, and some won't. That's how we'll grow.

Remember, Scion is an experiment from Toyota to see how to sell cars to this generation. In the end, it's about money, but hey, if this is how I am bought, I am cool with that. Scion has treated me very well over the past few years. That is how they have built my loyalty. I didn't even LIKE cars when I started selling them. Scion has given me a hobby, friends, career, and a future. It has afforded me a family and home. Take all of that and put it with a Scion nameplate, hell I think of you all as family now.

I am sorry to hear you don't like the new body style on the B. Scion didn't do it to make you mad, they did it because it was time for a change. I hope you'll keep your box and we'll still see pics of you at shows!

scionofPCFL
04-05-2007, 07:00 PM
They just want more sales

Gotta disagree here. They have openly and publicly sated on numerous oaccasions that they would like to cap production at about 150k for all three models combined, wishing to expand production if and only if demand is causing extreme wait times for customers to buy them.

seattledave
04-05-2007, 07:24 PM
They just want more sales

Gotta disagree here. They have openly and publicly sated on numerous oaccasions that they would like to cap production at about 150k for all three models combined, wishing to expand production if and only if demand is causing extreme wait times for customers to buy them.

in the end they do though. I think it's just like the original xbox marketing plan.

Get the name out there, build brand awareness as a cool gotta have car, don't make much if any on the cars now, just worry about building the brand and not losing too much doing it. Once they feel they're properly saturated and the brand is just right, then we'll have more scions here in the US than are sold.

bB2NER
04-05-2007, 08:41 PM
I absolutely love everything written here so far. It almost brought a tear to my eye.
My one worry is... How are we supposed to treat these new xB and xD owners at meets. They won't love the same stuff we do now that they have a completely different genre of vehicle. It's kinda like the way the tC owners think they are better than the classic xB owners. It a strange time right now in Scion land and I hope it all works out for the best.

THE_DON
04-05-2007, 09:18 PM
I absolutely love everything written here so far. It almost brought a tear to my eye.
My one worry is... How are we supposed to treat these new xB and xD owners at meets. They won't love the same stuff we do now that they have a completely different genre of vehicle. It's kinda like the way the tC owners think they are better than the classic xB owners. It a strange time right now in Scion land and I hope it all works out for the best.

I totally understand... I too remember the days before the tC.... Before the street racing threads and such. It WAS crazy when a bunch of new tC owners (SCION owners) joined the boards and started dissing the "ugly box car" :nope:

Once again it will be strange when this whole new audience arrives. This time, with 2 more vehicles, and the tC, the original JDM xA/xB will become the minority.

-THE DON

bB2NER
04-05-2007, 10:01 PM

I totally understand... I too remember the days before the tC.... Before the street racing threads and such. It WAS crazy when a bunch of new tC owners (SCION owners) joined the boards and started dissing the "ugly box car" :nope:

Once again it will be strange when this whole new audience arrives. This time, with 2 more vehicles, and the tC, the original JDM xA/xB will become the minority.

-THE DONI hope there will still be a place for us to fit in. Or will we have to join a different forum that caters to only first gen xB/xAs?

BuddhasTC
04-06-2007, 12:04 AM

-THE DONI hope there will still be a place for us to fit in. Or will we have to join a different forum that caters to only first gen xB/xAs?

Not true for all of us tC owners. I do love my tC and all...but i still love the box especially and have thought of a million different ways that i would do things if i got one...and i almost bought one along with my tC...but decided to have my front yard completely re-landscaped instead. The xB's and xA's will always have a place at scion meets as they are the OG's.

Matts_Box
04-06-2007, 04:13 AM
I personally still like the old box better. The new one looks funny, it's not the JDM tuner car it used to be, and I stand by my original opinion that Scion set out to build a 4-door tC after the success they had with it.

-THE DON

:clap: :clap: :clap: I have to TOTALLY agree with these quotes. I think Scion really jumped the gun on pulling the plug on the 1st gen xB so soon. The original xB is like the original VW Beetle. It has PERSONALITY just like the old Beetle did. I think that it had more years of production left in it ... and future sales probably would not have lagged either.

I don't think buyers of the new xB are going to be happy with the gas mileage they will get compared to the old one.

If you looked up the word "practical" in the dictionary you would have seen a picture of an xB.

20 years from now I will be one of those old guys fixing up my Classic xB! :silly:

OldYeller
04-06-2007, 04:25 AM
I'm already an old guy fixing up a classic xb.......... :rofl: :rofl:

Matts_Box
04-06-2007, 04:34 AM
I'm already an old guy fixing up a classic xb.......... :rofl: :rofl:

That's funny! In 20 years I'll be 55 too! But you'll be 75! :rofl:

ZOMGXB
04-06-2007, 05:17 AM
I was just at my dealership today researching the tC for a friend at work, and my dealer had just gotten some info on the new B2's. We spent like an hour just geeking out over the car. :love:

I know a lot of people say Scion listened to the wrong people when they drafted the new model, but OH MY DOG, they listened to EVERYTHING. Map lights. Better radio. Better interfaces. Airbags. The high-riding status is the same, the front-and-center gauge cluster is the same, the modability is the same, but the FEATURES....

I wasn't sold on the look of these things, but trust me: every single thing that has ever made you go "mmm, wish I could change _______" on your gen 1 has been addressed on the B2's. Addressed and improved.

I had decided months ago that I was going to hang on to my classic xB until...well...until someone pried the keys out of my cold, dead fingers. After the Auto Show, I decided that if some idiot in a Silverado DID destroy my box, I'd be happy in one of the new ones. After TRULY seeing the specs.....I think I might trade up. :nails:

It's REALLY AWESOME. :D Seriously!

The features, the look, the PRICE...makes me want to start surfing for Scion gear again. :D Take it from a cynical, skeptical 25-year-old...the B2's are just as fun as the originals...if not more so. :pray:

So, Scion's brilliant marketing and, let's face it, industry-leading features have sold me yet again. Now I just need May to hurry up and get here so I can test-drive the new ones. :)

bB2NER
04-06-2007, 07:30 AM
I'm aiming to never let my classic xB get run down. It's only original once!

Then we have posts like ZOMGXB (just using you as example, nothing personal) where he is already to jump ship and buy that new thing already because it has better this or faster that. I'm sorry but just because it has a Scion emblem on it doesn't mean you gotta buy it. It's truly amazing how quickly some of these so called xB lovers are ready to buy the next "BIG" thing. It has none of the original charm the classic xB has. It's bloated, rounded, heavy and ugly. The xB is square slender, lightweight and cute.

If something did happen to my xB I would be on the lookout for as nice a RS1.0 I could find and buy it! A true die hard classic xB owner till I die!!! :clap:

scion04xb
04-06-2007, 07:48 AM
I'm aiming to never let my classic xB get run down. It's only original once!

Then we have posts like ZOMGXB (just using you as example, nothing personal) where he is already to jump ship and buy that new thing already because it has better this or faster that. I'm sorry but just because it has a Scion emblem on it doesn't mean you gotta buy it. It's truly amazing how quickly some of these so called xB lovers are ready to buy the next "BIG" thing. It has none of the original charm the classic xB has. It's bloated, rounded, heavy and ugly. The xB is square slender, lightweight and cute.

If something did happen to my xB I would be on the lookout for as nice a RS1.0 I could find and buy it! A true die hard classic xB owner till I die!!! :clap:
I have to agree on the people jumping ship. I also have to agree with the statement made earlier about the people with tc's treating first gen xa and xb drives diff.... I dont get that one at all. As said before there will be a place for the xa and 1g xb's, I am happy I got the 06 xa cuz its going to be one of the special ones since the different bumpers and all of course there are the rs's still.

bB2NER
04-06-2007, 07:52 AM
I agree! They got the 06 xA right then killed it off. Who am I to figure out what Scion decides? Heck they still have the same dark as heck old people colors.

ZOMGXB
04-06-2007, 09:38 AM

Excellent interpretation! Did you actually READ my post at some point, or just skim it enough to know I'm warming up to the B2's? :rofl:

My dealer took me feature-by-feature through the stuff the new one had. He technically wasn't supposed to show me ANY of it, so I can't go into details here, but this isn't a case of OH GOD BIGGER ENGINE I'LL TAKE ONE IN EACH COLOR LOL. I tell you, man, it has exactly the same staggering amount of never-before-seen I-can't-believe-I'm-getting-ALL-THIS-for-under-$40,000 features that sold me on the original before I had even taken it for a test drive.

Sure, it doesn't have the charm of the original xB. But you know what? Nothing is EVER going to have the charm of the original xB. Okay? Is everybody with me? We're talking about the vehicle that basically made the entire minicar class happen! Nothing's ever going to be as exciting or cute or shocking. But as a follow up...ye gods, man, take another look!

Come on - did you really want them to keep making the xB cLassic until everyone's little sister had one? Until the mall parking lots overflowed with them? Until they became...I shan't say it...MAINSTREAM? Of course not.

We're all going to hang onto our cLassics as the stamp of our forward-thinking, trendsetting, let's-face-it-smarter-than-most-car-buyers behavior when it really counted...but like I said, as a followup to the most exciting car this country has seen in the last twenty years....

....you could do a lot worse. So give it a chance. :clap:

forby
04-06-2007, 12:08 PM
There's a lot of talk about the new Xb being ugly.....have you looked in a mirror lately?

Seriously, the old Xb is the definition of ugly! We just learned to like it for it's ugliness. Kind of like the ugly little puppy in the pet store that no one wants.

I bought one like that and she's the best dog I've ever owned! I feel the same way about my Xb. It's so ugly, that people don't talk behind your back. They come right up to you and tell you how "unusual" it is. Just like my dog..."what a precious little doggie!!!" What they are thinking is "it's so ugly that it's beautiful in a special way".

Well.... I guess I'll take my special dog for a ride in my special car now........

PS: Can't wait till someone makes a rear window extension for the 08'....flat is in.

ZOMGXB
04-06-2007, 07:52 PM
There's a lot of talk about the new Xb being ugly.....have you looked in a mirror lately?

Seriously, the old Xb is the definition of ugly! We just learned to like it for it's ugliness. Kind of like the ugly little puppy in the pet store that no one wants.

LOL. I like that one. :)

You know, this is an excellent analogy... we all got interested in the car in the first place because it was different, not because it was...you know...attractive. If they'd just been cute everyone would have had one, and we wouldn't have the community we do. It'd be the New Beetle all over again.

Now that you mention it, I'm thinking back to the first 9 months or so I owned the car.... there were times I'd walk out to the parking lot and see it, and be like "OH YIKES WHAT IS THAT?!"

I was having "I actually bought this thing?!" moments for the first three months or so, and then its unwavering faithfulness, amazing interior space, unrivaled features, and tiny gas bills and payments wore me down. It's like when you hear about couples who were betrothed in other countries, and they just kind of coexist for years, but eventually fall in love. :love: Now I can't imagine life without my B. :love:

I DO worry about B2/cLassic B relations, but that's something that can't be avoided. If we can deal with 16-year-old tC drivers harassing us, we can deal with that. :) Besides, the new unboxy look gives us something to rag on! (Kind of like how the tC is only faster than other scions :P JK)

Can you imagine if they'd kept the looks exactly the same but given it a bigger engine and more features? :eyes: It'd be like Invasion of the Body Snatchers! You'd think it was just a normal friendly xB-driver nodding to you at a stoplight, and then SHRIEEEEEEEEEKKKK off they'd squeal with 40 more horsepower. D:

So, yah, obviously Toyota knows what they're doing. We ARE talking about the people who had the foresight to initiate the minicar class, you know? So relax, keep an open mind, and let's all make our judgements once the car actually exists. :)

p.s. i hope i'm still in the community in 2011, when scion releases the NEW-new xB as a perfect cube, and all the gen 2 drivers have heart attacks ;)

Dwatts5250
04-06-2007, 07:55 PM
Waiting a year or two for them to get the bugs worked out. i like the tC engine...but Im not real happy bout those big BLIND spots in the pillars.

Djbombsquad
04-06-2007, 11:24 PM
Well by 2010 the whole toyota line will be at least hybrid.

scionofPCFL
04-06-2007, 11:33 PM
Well by 2010 the whole toyota line will be at least hybrid.

The goal was to have a hybrid option by this time, but I think it's since moved back to 2012

superboxcarxb
04-07-2007, 03:29 AM
i was thinking about getting the prius as my next car, saw someone pull up at work and talk his head off about it, and now i'm "partially" interested in it now. lol. I was thinking "stealth". All black with limo tint, then i was thinking about how i love to hear the engine when i drive, then i thought "no way" this car sucks.

DarkBoxJr
04-07-2007, 03:39 AM
I'm really put off by the car's weight, but I'll reserve my judgment until I drive one.

bB2NER
04-07-2007, 03:40 AM

Seriously, the old Xb is the definition of ugly!Sorry but most of the real (read first wave) owners NEVER thought they were ugly to begin with and had to get used to the look. I loved the look at the first glance of the original bB back in the 90"s. My prayers were answered when I found out it was coming here. So to most , the xB was never considered ugly. :bow:

scionofPCFL
04-07-2007, 02:18 PM
Randomly polling people you will find that most people do in fact think the xB is ugly as sin. Unless by "most people" you mean "most xB classic owners".

Vince
04-07-2007, 02:44 PM
This is a really interesting thread and I'm just going to add a couple of comments.

1) I think losing the last two windows is an improvement. Sit in your xB and try to see anything useful out of those rear windows. I do not believe a blind spot was created and i think it actually improves the look of the car.

2) When I first decided I wanted a SCION, I wanted an xA. I looked at the xB and thought "what is Toyota thinking with that ugly euro-bus looking thing??". But then I sat in it and the rest is history. The exterior became cute only after falling in love with the interior. My point is, I agree with the theory that most xB owners originally did NOT like the exterior look of the car.

Discuss on!!! :)

-V

ZOMGXB
04-07-2007, 03:27 PM
This is a really interesting thread and I'm just going to add a couple of comments.

1) I do not believe a blind spot was created and i think it actually improves the look of the car.

2) The exterior became cute only after falling in love with the interior. My point is, I agree with the theory that most xB owners originally did NOT like the exterior look of the car.

Discuss on!!! :) -V

Agreed wholeheartedly on both points!

My rear defrosters don't work on the two side windows. You know how long it took me to notice? A year. A YEAR. I went a full 14 months of standard driving, through all sorts of road conditions (and fog...lots of fog here), and didn't once ever actually look through either of those two windows. So, yeah, as far as I'm concerned the back window could be black plastic and I would have no qualms.

As for the second point, I think we should take a poll of how many cLassic owners bought their xB despite the looks and not because of them. Thus far, I've heard people talk about how they're distinctive, unique, unusual, stands out, etc...but only one person I've EVER SEEN has actually said the first time they saw it it looked "cute." (That's you, Beeb.) Sure, they're adorable NOW, but after years of faithful service and staring at the thing in your driveway, I'm pretty sure that's impossible to avoid.

That's what finally started warming me up on the runt-of-the-Highlander-litter that is the B2....the interior and the features. :lalala:

bB2NER
04-07-2007, 03:40 PM
Unless by "most people" you mean "most xB classic owners".Does anyone else really matter? The rest of the world is in love with their SUVs "yuck, I said it" or whatever else is popular at any given time. If the general public thinks the xB1 is ugly "Oh Well" :ttth:

We know better :love:

dugzilla
04-07-2007, 04:33 PM
I fell in love with the xb the first time I saw it.

and BTW ZOMGXB those are not defrosters in the side windows, it's the radio antenna, lol.

ZOMGXB
04-07-2007, 05:47 PM
and BTW ZOMGXB those are not defrosters in the side windows, it's the radio antenna, lol.

ROFL! i r teh n00b! I wondered, briefly, before posting, if maybe I had the wrong idea, but I figured "hey, if there's any place on the planet to get the RIGHT answer, here it is."

but you see my point? :) I thought they were freakin' DEFROSTERS, and went for two years without being proven wrong. Blind spot my ___. =)

dugzilla
04-07-2007, 08:16 PM
Yeah, I don't see there being a problem with a blind spot on the new xb, I just love my 05 soo much unless I wreck it I won't be getting the new one.

xBster
04-08-2007, 12:10 PM
I'm not impressed with the new xB...looks or otherwise. I am going to the "Backstage" event to check it out in person to try and sway my opinion. It STILL looks too SUV to me, which is why I flipped over the Gen1 xB in the first place..it's just so Anti-SUV...lol.

roXor_boXor
04-08-2007, 03:17 PM
You want anti-SUV?
I think the xB still fills that need nicely. It takes more than shape to make what is so hated about the SUV genre. How about a quick comparo to the most hated SUV by SUV haters?

2008 xB
Overall length: 167.3
Overall width: 69.3
Overall height: 62.6
Wheelbase: 102.4
Weight 3085?
Mileage expected to be 20-30
Cargo
behind rear seat 29.1?
Rear seat folded 69.9?
price $15,650 to $16,660

2007 Hummer H2
Overall length: 203.6 [Hummer +36.3 inches]
Overall width: 81.2 [Hummer +11.9 inches]
Overall height: 79.2 [Hummer +16.6 inches]
Wheelbase: 122.7 [Hummer +20.3 inches]
Weight 6400 [Hummer +3315 lbs] 2 for 1 anybody?
EPA Mileage not provided but reported in tests as <10
Cargo
Behind rear seat 40.0 [Hummer +only 11.9 cu ft]
Rear seat folded 86.6 [Hummer + only 16.7 cu ft]
Price $54,850-$59,390 [Hummer +$38,930 to $42,730]

The 2008 xB is definitely NOT an SUV in the sense most people are thinking when they mention SUV in a derogatory way. :P

So with these numbers we can see that you can buy 2 xB's for $25,820 less than one base H2. You would still get better gas mileage and have 53.2 cu ft more total seat folded cargo space with the two xB's. :silly: :rofl:

Oh and by the way, the H2 still has no aux jack let alone iPod connection for it's Bose stereo system as far as I can tell.

bB2NER
04-08-2007, 04:06 PM
True but it still looks like one of those crossover things.

Matts_Box
04-08-2007, 07:17 PM
2) When I first decided I wanted a SCION, I wanted an xA. I looked at the xB and thought "what is Toyota thinking with that ugly euro-bus looking thing??". But then I sat in it and the rest is history.

My experience was similar.

I first saw the xB at Hot Import Nights in 2002 in San Mateo and thought "Who in the hell is going to be so stupid and buy this trainwreck of automotive design???!" :rofl:

At the time I owned a Ford Focus... which actually turned out to be an even bigger trainwreck! :doh: It spent more time at the dealer getting fixed than Granny spends at the Bingo parlor! :silly:

When the Focus started falling apart I went down to test drive a tC... and walked out of the dealership with a Thundercloud xB!
It is the best car I have ever owned! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I still haven't reached a verdict on the next gen xB yet.... :eyebrow: I need to see it in 3 dimensions and take it for a spin.