Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

So, how does it handle???

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 01:08 AM
5 Year Member

Default So, how does it handle???

For the lucky few who've driven the new xB, how does it handle? I've seem some posts describing it as smooth, well put together, less buzzy but how does it feel on the road? Is it pretty similar to a tC in terms of body roll, road feel, corners, and overall tightness? Is it softer or harder?

Thanks,
Old 04-16-2007, 01:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

From my experience at Mercedes, I take it no one has taken the car out on main roads. It is always a closed enviroment. I can;'t wait to feel the ride, just think, if that same motor can move a bigger body like the camry(that is where the tC's motor originated- don't let anyone fool ya), nice fast and quiet, think about what it can do for the smaller body.

It has done wonders for the tC, as you can see alot of tC owners have captured tickets, and there seems to be alot of tC's in salvage yards. So we soon will find out.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Just drove it last week at the Scion Backstage...I was impressed...The build quality seems better with a much better quality feel...They handle EXCELLENT, better than the tC...Plenty quick enough I might add...I had the tires screeching around the course...If anyone has the chance to go to the Scion Backstage event I highly suggest that you go...
Old 04-16-2007, 03:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by YELOSUB
Just drove it last week at the Scion Backstage...I was impressed...The build quality seems better with a much better quality feel...They handle EXCELLENT, better than the tC...Plenty quick enough I might add...I had the tires screeching around the course...If anyone has the chance to go to the Scion Backstage event I highly suggest that you go...
Was it stock?
Old 04-16-2007, 10:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Yep, bone stock...I drove both the Manual trans and the Auto trans!
Old 04-16-2007, 11:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by YELOSUB
Yep, bone stock...I drove both the Manual trans and the Auto trans!
I am stumped, after driving them which woud you prrefer auto or man, I can't decide.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

My old car, a Ford Focus, was a manual...I drive 62 miles round trip every day for work, mostly stuck in rush hour traffic...So, when I got my xB I chose an Auto...Although I like the auto, I miss the extra power of the manual...Now for the new xB models that I recently drove, it is a tough choice...The automatic features a feature where you can shift it manually or just throw it in drive...I did like the way the manual model (5-speed) shifted and it did seem quicker...It comes down to a matter of choice...Either way, I don't think you can pick a loser...Good luck...
Old 04-17-2007, 12:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I too got an automatic after I started delivering mail. On my feet for 12 hours a day plus to press the clutch for a 25 mile hike home was no joke. I am used to it all and plus my toy(another car) is manual. But since you say it is a smooth shift and I think someone said it is a short throw, i say what the heck, save a grand, I too enjoy upshift and downshift, all in the name of fun.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:09 AM
5 Year Member

Default A big Mini?

I have this fantasy that it will be tight, zippy and fun like a Mini but I'm guessing it will feel more substantial and soft like the tC.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: A big Mini?

Originally Posted by yellow_aspen
I have this fantasy that it will be tight, zippy and fun like a Mini but I'm guessing it will feel more substantial and soft like the tC.
That is a fairly unrealistic dream. IMHO, the Mini is probably the best handling front-drive car currently sold. The man said it was better than the tC, so I would expect it to be a bit better than the tC, which is at least decent. You can't expect a 3000 lb box on wheels to be an autox machine on the stock wheels/tires/suspension and still have a tolerable ride.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Ok, click this thread and watch the video...It will answer all of your questions! https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...499729#2499729
Old 04-19-2007, 09:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh my. I'm really tempted now. Where is the Release Series announcement?!?!?!?
Old 04-19-2007, 10:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

handling: compared to the 1st gen is morning and afternoon. it feels more secure less prone to roll during hard cornering and that has most to do with the wider track and longer wheelbase. also, you can definitely feel the extra 500lbs leaning into corners.

steering: was a little slow and could be understandble because its not a sports-coupe or car. and it has nothing to do with the eps because there are plenty of cars with eps that are quicker than non eps equipped cars.

ride: its night and day compared to the 1st gen. with the wider track and longer wheelbase it transmits less road imperfections because occupants are not sitting close to or on top off the suspension mounts. the B2 will be a great touring car because of the new chassis and the location of the suspension. and with more than enough power if loaded with friends, the xB2 will steal a lot of civic, corolla and mazda3 sales with a better price to feature ratio.

wishlist: i think a must have is the trd springs and slightly wider wheels and tires. the trd springs will give it a better look without looking slammed and it will handle better. 215/45-17 or 225/40-17 wheels and tires 18's are too big and heavy where it will suffers from rolling inertia and sacrifice performance.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Rich_Manas
wishlist: i think a must have is the trd springs and slightly wider wheels and tires. the trd springs will give it a better look without looking slammed and it will handle better. 215/45-17 or 225/40-17 wheels and tires 18's are too big and heavy where it will suffers from rolling inertia and sacrifice performance.
You can always toss 225/50-16s on the stock wheels. Same height/sidewall as stock, wider tread.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Bigfieroman
You can always toss 225/50-16s on the stock wheels. Same height/sidewall as stock, wider tread.
205/55-16 on 6.5" wheels with 225/50-16 would give the tire love handles on the sidewall. a plus zero treatment would be 215/45-16. plus one 215/45-17 and plus two 225/35-18.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

205/55-16 on 6.5" wheels with 225/50-16 would give the tire love handles on the sidewall. a plus zero treatment would be 215/45-16. plus one 215/45-17 and plus two 225/35-18.
225/50-16 fits fine on a 6.5" wide rim. I checked a few tires on tirerack.com and all of them had the same recommended rim width range; 6"-8" wide. I have had 225/50-16s on a 6.5" wide rim before, it worked great. As long as you are within the manufacturer's recommended range, you will suffer no ill handling effects. That said, I would rather have a 7" wide rim under the tire, but 6.5" is still perfectly acceptable and well within manufacturer recommendations.

215/45-16 is actually a much worse choice. It is smaller in diameter(changing gearing and speedo) and a much, MUCH less common size, tirerack only shows about 5 tires in that size, all very very expensive. Besides that, a 215/45-16 requires a 7"-8" wide rim. Why would a narrower tire require a wider rim? Because the shorter sidewalls do not allow as much variation in the rim width. They need a width close to their natural width or they will perform very poorly.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

225/50-16 fits fine on a 6.5" wide rim. I checked a few tires on tirerack.com and all of them had the same recommended rim width range; 6"-8" wide. I have had 225/50-16s on a 6.5" wide rim before, it worked great. As long as you are within the manufacturer's recommended range, you will suffer no ill handling effects. That said, I would rather have a 7" wide rim under the tire, but 6.5" is still perfectly acceptable and well within manufacturer recommendations.

215/45-16 is actually a much worse choice. It is smaller in diameter(changing gearing and speedo) and a much, MUCH less common size, tirerack only shows about 5 tires in that size, all very very expensive. Besides that, a 215/45-16 requires a 7"-8" wide rim. Why would a narrower tire require a wider rim? Because the shorter sidewalls do not allow as much variation in the rim width. They need a width close to their natural width or they will perform very poorly.
i don't have tire calculator handy so i'm going to assume the difference in speed and overall circumference between 205/55-16 vs 225/50-16 is minimal.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have to agree with Rich on this Fiero.

The set up he described will drive circles around your choice as it wallows around on the wide tire on the narrow rim.

Yours will be cheap and comfortable. His will cost more and perform very well.
What works best for you just depends on your budget and desired end results.

While I like the idea of the nice ride your setup would have I would have to spend the money and go for a little less ride comfort and lots better handling.

I have driven my Mazda 3 on the stock 205/50-17's on 6.5x17 wheels and on 205/55-16's on 7x16 wheels. The overall circumference is within a 1/4 inch. The handling is night and day. With the 16's it corners like a Buick Lesabre. With the 17's it feels like a go-cart on rails.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Rich, the 205/55-16 and 225/50-16 are basically identical in diameter, less than a tenth of an inch according to my tire calc.

Roxor, I don't think you read what I wrote.

A 215/45-16 is too wide for a 6.5" rim. The manufacturers recommend a 7"-8" rim. The recommendations are there for a reason, that tire on a 6.5" rim will suffer in the handling department. It is also significantly smaller, and will result in a 5% speedo calibration error/change in gear ratio.

A 225/50-16, while actually being a bit wider, is not too wide for a 6.5" rim. The manufacturers recommend a 6" to 8" wide rim. It is pretty much IDENTICAL in height to a 205/55-16, the difference is about 0.1% in speedo and gearing. Treadwear actually makes a much bigger difference in size than 0.1%.

If you want more responsive handling and don't care about the effect on gear ratio and speedo, go with a 205/45-16, as it fits on a 6.5" and has a WAY shorter sidewall. Wheel gap will also be enormous. This is sometimes what hardcore autocrossers do. They find the smallest sidewall tire that will fit on their rims to give them great agility and short gearing.

Trust me on this one, handling is what my Fiero is all about. I have $2000 in the suspension and another $2k in the brakes/wheels/tires. I have left my 140hp engine alone for years just so I can cut a corner a little faster. I have done so much research that I actually knew the specs above off the top of my head, I only checked to make sure I wasn't mistaken. It's just my thing. Maybe I need a girlfriend...
Old 04-20-2007, 03:28 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey Fiero,

Heeeeeeerre ya go

http://www.russianbrides.com/

Quick Reply: So, how does it handle???