Notices
Autosports & Technique
General driving and racing...

Seating Position & Clutch point

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 08:36 PM
5 Year Member

Default Seating Position & Clutch point

So I'm still practicing manual in my first Manual Car (2014 tC) and I'm having a huge issue with my own seating position.

I've read a few online sources that say its best to adjust your seating position based on the clutch or clutch+brake pedals. The problem in the tC is that if I sit too close my knees are below the suggested 120 degree angle which is bad.

In terms of arm position I got no issues there since I can play with seat height and rake to fix that easily.

My biggest issue is the clutch with my current position if I have to go from a complete stop I'm nearly extending my knee all the way although if I lift the clutch too fast I will stall the car.

As for the friction point on this car I've yet to find it properly but I'm slowly building the memory muscle problem is if I change the seating position I have to find it again.

Any experienced drivers have pointers?
Old 08-25-2013, 10:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Whatever feels best.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

My tC1 was my first manual car, it took a couple weeks to develop the left leg strength and muscle memory to where it needed to be. It felt weird to extend my left leg far, but it became second nature over time. It was also difficult at first to release the clutch slowly, but it became easier over time. I prefer having to extend my left leg pretty far (but not locking the knees or extending the leg all the way) to press the clutch in. It's good to have a little angle at the knees with the clutch in, but not too much. Definitely close to 120 degrees as you said. When I sit closer, it's awkward to let the clutch out all the way and transition to the dead pedal. Too close and you have to really move your thigh or swing your leg out of the way when transitioning to the dead pedal. But that's just me. Everyone is different in preference. You'll get it dialed in within a couple weeks, the first couple weeks are tough
Old 08-27-2013, 05:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

What I did, because it sucks finding sweet spot again if someone moves seat, I took a black market, made 2 marks, one on seat and one on the plastic on side towards seat. If someone moves it, I simply re align my 2 tick marks.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:03 AM
5 Year Member

I've used this video
(referenced from http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Seating_position) to kind of help with the seating position.

I'm about 5'9 so I have to extend my leg to fully depress the clutch but its still a bit bent I might have to play around with it more before
Old 08-28-2013, 12:22 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Close enough that you can push the pedal to the floor. If the angle doesn't feel good, move forward and backward or adjust the height until it does.

The tC2 is my (or my ex-wife's) 7th manual transmission. The cars range from a Civic to a Jeep Wrangler to a pickup. There's no perfect angle... and the tC has the low seat legs-out classic Camaro seating position, so you'll find that your legs with be straighter than if you were driving a Wrangler or truck. Whatever feels good and allows you to fully declutch, go for it!

And don't worry - it becomes second nature.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:40 PM
5 Year Member

Still working on the seating position but when I drove home last night I had no stalls but clutch control was very bad not to mention my steering control. My dad said I'm sitting way to close and he might be right as my knees felt like there were at a 90 degree angle.

Back to square one! I'll have to adjust my seating based on the clutch and since I'm not that tall I find that I use my whole leg to push the clutch but thats only from a complete stop once the car is in motion I can easily go from Clutch to dead pedal. My uncle who is taller than me only uses his ankle in my car so I guess its different for everyone.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

"Several drivers found that the long clutch travel and high engagement point took some getting used to. A six-speed automatic is also available."

"Tall drivers will find surprisingly abundant space all around, especially for their long legs. Short people may have to sit closer to the wheel than they like, though, to floor the clutch pedal."

- Consumer Reports

I bought my tC because it felt like it had been custom designed for long legs, aside from the cramped molding around the gas pedal which I modified to make room for my right toes. Thanks to the flat bottomed steering wheel, and the fact that it telescopes so far out (i.e. past my knees), this is the first car I've owned where I can push the clutch in and out without having to splay my left leg sideways around the steering wheel.

Hopefully you figure out a good way to sit in there. Here's a tip - is your dad similar in height? If he says you're sitting too close, have him demostrate how to sit and how he things your legs should be oriented.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:16 AM
5 Year Member

My dad isn't really similar in height he's probably about 5'5 or 5'6 but I did sort of find a new seating position for myself.

I actually drove out into the city but I was freaking terrified so the only thing I told myself was to move off the clutch slowly and smoothly which helped me not stall once Unfortunately my shifting was really bad from 1-2 so clutch work needs more practice, I also used the Handbrake to help me with my 1st hill which tbh worked perfectly cept I managed to do a 2nd gear tire squeal o_O

Tonight I challenged myself on a few hills in my neighbourhood with no handbrake, 1st try I stalled but after that no stalls.

For me I think the biggest thing is getting that muscle memory built up and gain confidence driving a manual
Old 09-02-2013, 03:59 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It takes time.. I have mostly driven manuals for the past 15 years that I've been a licensed driver. The starting and stopping is the trickiest part - id highly recommend going to an empty parking lot, and just spending a few hours starting and stopping, driving in a circle.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Occam
It takes time.. I have mostly driven manuals for the past 15 years that I've been a licensed driver. The starting and stopping is the trickiest part - id highly recommend going to an empty parking lot, and just spending a few hours starting and stopping, driving in a circle.
Reading it now, that seemed a bit cryptic...

Go to an empty parking lot, and practice starting. Specifically, do it until starting out, transitioning from clutch to throttle and back, are second nature. If you have space, do one-two shifts. Shifting at higher gears is easier an smoother. You'll get the hang of it.

Don't worry about heel-toeing, rev matching, and other advanced techniques right now - a Japanese gearbox with synchronized gears will handle your faults and lack of finesse with ease.

This is how I learned, on moms car, which later became mine (a 92 Accord), in which I taught both my friend and a girlfriend. Said girlfriend later bought it, and sold it to her stepfather. Before he traded it, it was up to 180,000 miles, still on the original clutch!
Old 09-12-2013, 03:34 AM
5 Year Member

Well I drove further than my neighbourhood tonight, stalled only once on the hill but that was my own fault, I'm positive lifted the clutch too early before getting enough gas. The car behind me was forgiving though lol

I also managed to pull my clutch leg and man did that hurt perhaps I should re-visit my seating position again.