Notices
Introduction Forum

We pride ourselves on being a welcoming community we are happy to see you here and we want to get you talking to us, start here by telling us about you and your Scion.
*PLEASE DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS IN THIS SECTION*

New Member looking for advice!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 08:52 PM

Default New Member looking for advice!

Advice needed.

I am in the market to buy a new/newer car. I currently drive a 2001 Mitsubishi Gallant ES which I’ve had for 10 years. Bought it for 9K with 38,000 miles back in 2005, and now with over 140K, it’s falling apart (as much as I’ve taken care of it) and its time to upgrade.

I am 29 years old male with a clean driving record. I really love cars I’ve just never been in the market to buy something nice/fun and my current car held up pretty well. I live in Los Angeles where living expenses are already very high. So far, I’ve test driven a lot of cars and right now I am stuck between a 2011-2013 Scion tC and a VW Golf MK6 or MK7

I test drove a few 2011-2013 Scion tC’s (A/T), which were listed between 15-18K with about 30K miles. Love the way they drive. Handling felt great and they include a lot of premium options (sunroof, 18 inch wheels, good stereo, etc.) for a fairly reasonable price. Plus, I feel like I’d be getting a reliable car. It feels like an incredible value...a lot of car for the money. I also prefer the 2011-2013 model over the 2014....I don't love the look of the new tC...a little gaudy for my taste, but the 2011-2013 is a pretty slick looking vehicle...especially in white. :-)

I’m seeing a lot of Golf MK6’s between 14-18K, (both gas and the TDI) with anywhere from 20-40K miles. I also have a connection at a local VW dealership where I can get a BRAND NEW 2015 Golf S (A/T) at factory cost (19,080), normally priced at 21,775. I test drove a 2015 golf last December and I absolutely fell in love with the way it handled…and in the interior on the 2015 s seem to be a huge upgrade over the previous model. I drove a few used golfs, as well. And I honestly prefer the interior of the Golf over the tC.

Insurance is higher on the TC. I also noticed GTI insurance would be less than a tC which I found very surprising! Seen a few used GTI’s (around 30K miles) for 19K.

Objectively speaking, which car do you think would be the best for me to purchase? Originally, I set out a limit of 16K for a car, but is the brand new Golf S deal way too good to pass up? In addition, the added insurance costs for the tC brings the cost more closely to a brand new Golf (at the deal I can get.)

I'm so torn on these two vehicles. Any advice would be awesome!

Thanks!
Old 05-02-2015, 12:53 AM
Jon
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Great to hear from you DaMax85! Welcome
Old 05-02-2015, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Welcome. Choose what car will give you what is most important to you.

The tC will be fun and safe for cheap. It will also give you a lower cost of ownership than the V dub by miles.

The VW is also safe and has a good chassis but tend to be more fun with the turbo engine but hp costs $$. Honestly every friend that's had any VW loved the interior and hated the hurt of drivetrain upkeep on their wallet.

You make the call. See you around.