Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

04 xA - Evap Canister & Purge Valve DIY Q's

Old 06-28-2014, 07:46 AM
5 Year Member

Default 04 xA - Evap Canister & Purge Valve DIY Q's

I need to replace the Evap Carbon Canister and Purge Valve on my 2004 xA. The mechanic quoted the parts to be 139 for purge valve and 464 for canister.
I keep looking around for parts and the canister assy is showing up as in the mid 200 price range. Not sure if I am looking at wrong part or the mechanic just gets his part from the Saks 5th Avenue of part stores.

I also can't find any DIY info easily on how to replace the parts myself. Can't find videos either. Any help or nudges in the right direction would be helpful.

I know there was a warranty issue on the parts but my car is beyond warranty at 10 years and 100k+ miles. TYIA!

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-20-2017 at 09:15 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-10-2014, 07:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Look for part number Vacuum Switching Valve 911-601 on eBay or Amazon, should be around $30-$40. Drive the back of the car on ramps or jack it up with secured stands... look over or near the rear subframe of the car and you'll see this VSV valve mounted on the charcoal canister. Unplug the hoses and the wire pigtail and plug them into the new unit, zip tie the new unit on top of the existing and you're done. Takes five minutes worth of work and never fails. I've done three cars just this past year with 100% positive results.

Kruso
Old 10-14-2014, 03:49 PM

Hi mate,
I am trying to diagnose if I have a problem with the purge valve and the canister. I keep getting error codes p0441 and p0442.. I was getting p0446 but that disappeared after tightening my fuel tank cap. I was told that these codes may relate to purge valve and canister issues, what are your thoughts on that?
Old 10-14-2014, 05:03 PM
5 Year Member

Those are the codes that had popped up for me too. I replaced the cap, reset the codes and the codes returned after a month. I would suggest getting the codes reset and then if they pop again then it would be safe to say the canister and valve need replacing since this does seem to be a fairly frequent issue with Scions.

I also had my usual mechanic take a look at the car, they found the issue but after talking to them they said it's easy to diagnose that the valve and canister were the problems based on the codes coming back after I replaced the gas cap.

It was really easy to replace the parts, no needing to clamp hoses or purge liquids, etc.

I only had an issue because I manhandled one connector and had to buy some things to correct that problem. LOL.

-Cheers and I hope this helps.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:20 PM

Was your problem solved by just replacing the Vacuum Switching Valve 911-601 ?
I looked up this part on ebay(as the guy above you mentioned) and ebay says this item is not compatible with 2004 XA. here
I found this instead PCV Valve
On Toyota website it says p0441 is usually triggered when "a bad vacuum switch or a leak in the EVAP system that is preventing fuel vapors from reaching the canister."
And p0442 is "a pinhole leak in one of the vapor hoses or tubes that runs from the fuel tank vent to the charcoal canister or one of the seals on that tubing’s connections."
My mechanic just asked me for $80 to diagnose and pinpoint the problem..I think my problem might be with the hoses but I don't really know how to check those.. Any help will be appreciated.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:49 PM
5 Year Member

I replaced both. I ordered them for good prices through autozone online. I don't the exact part numbers.

This is how it was explained by my mechanic. The purge valve needed to be replaced because it was gunked up with the charcoal flecks that were escaping from the faulty canister. If the codes just recently came up I think you could get away with replacing the canister only but you cannot just replace the valve and not the canister.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:11 PM

Thank you , I guess I am gonna have to take it to a mechanic, before I spend some $ on canister..
Old 05-21-2016, 07:07 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by kruso
Look for part number Vacuum Switching Valve 911-601 on eBay or Amazon, should be around $30-$40. Drive the back of the car on ramps or jack it up with secured stands... look over or near the rear subframe of the car and you'll see this VSV valve mounted on the charcoal canister. Unplug the hoses and the wire pigtail and plug them into the new unit, zip tie the new unit on top of the existing and you're done. Takes five minutes worth of work and never fails. I've done three cars just this past year with 100% positive results.

Kruso
This part number did not fit my 05 xA. The valve is in the engine bay on my year xA and the vacuum ports are slightly larger. However, I found the P0442 was caused by a cracked vacuum hose in the engine compartment to the purge valve.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:48 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i got all my parts from autozone same part number from the dealership but much cheaper prices (Y)