Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

DAMN Dumptrucks! Need a new windshield...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 01:58 AM
5 Year Member

Default DAMN Dumptrucks! Need a new windshield...

So, I'm on I-85 this afternoon in my xA... 2 lanes over a dumptruck with what looks like trees in the back is going along ahead of me...

All of a sudden I hear a couple thuds and then WHACK!

I glance around the windsheild real quick and don't see anything... ok... I accelerate and get past the idiot... 2 minutes later I look again and I see a nice crack down near the lower left corner, with cracks radiating out in several directions. I find a gas station, [pull in and see that it's actually cracked all the way to the bottom edge in 4 spots...

Looks like I'm going to need a new windshield. Doubt they're going to be able to repair it the way it is...

Anybody know how much a new one runs???

FRICK... Never fails. Can't keep a new car nice.... Not in this city... Grrrr...

--Mike
Old 12-14-2003, 02:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Shoulda got the business name on the truck and filed a claim against his insurance...
That is a total drag.
Old 12-21-2003, 10:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah... i had a similar problem. I was driving down the freeway and saw a white rock launch towards me. It seemed like it was going slowly towards you, but it was unavoidable and wack, got a crack on my glass. Now thats messed up.
Old 12-21-2003, 10:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

dude its REALLY expensive. As in if you don't have a "no deductable" insurance policy then its time to upgrade.

long story short my local toyota dealer was quoting me at 800 installed! since they would have to "specially" ship it from a california scion store. Luckilly i made a hookup that got that price down. BUT. I was able to drive to california to go get it. being in the atl makes that i non option i bet. Hopefully aftermarket glass (ppg) is out by now. Call around and see. Or maybee go to a dealer that will be selling scions soon and see what they'll do for you.
Old 12-21-2003, 10:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Damn man that sucks.....I feel ya though had a exerience with rocks...
Old 12-22-2003, 12:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that sucks...i never drive behind a truck...try to change lanes to avoid it...
i had lotta rock chips on mine... :twisted:

they should have a law says truck can only use the most right lane.. :twisted:
Old 12-24-2003, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have 2 small chips on my windshield. I am replacing the windshield as we speak.
Old 12-24-2003, 05:54 PM

I had the windshield replaced in the same weekend I got the car. I was so happy that piercy took care of it for me. They said the window by itself was like 175.00.

Old 01-16-2004, 03:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default That damn! winshield

I have only had my XA for a week, and today driving home on hgwy 50 in Sacramento, I got stuck behind a semi, and heard a loud crack. Of course, it was dark, and I obsessed about it the entire drive home. And sure enough, there is a small crack, which of course I know is gonna spread.

Do Scions come with cursed windshields? Is it a design flaw? WTF?

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to think of it as another "add on accessory" :D

I can't wait to spend another $500 dollars.....

jr
Old 01-16-2004, 04:20 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i know how you feel, totally sucks.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Stylis
I had the windshield replaced in the same weekend I got the car. I was so happy that piercy took care of it for me. They said the window by itself was like 175.00.
Gabe, did Piercy do your window free? Is it under warranty? I got 2 chips over the weekend and it looks like the cracks might spread out soon

Since it seems highly probably our windshields might chip or crack again, I wonder if there is some kind of protection out there? Maybe bulletproof windows
Old 01-27-2004, 10:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i hope ppg comes out with aftermarket glass before my next serious hit.(cheaper better) i have no desire to replace the windshield again.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Default this might help....

hey check out this one place on Chishire Bridge just north of Piedmont. I had the same thing happen to me on I-85 just north of N Druid Hills Rd... I was headed south, and in the #1 lane next to the HOV. The dump truck was headed north in the carpool lane (dont ask me why) I see this huge meteor come over the wall, and bounce off the roof of the van in front of me, and hit my winshild dead on center. I have an 88 528e, and got it done for $200 there on Cheshire Bridge... heres the info...

Binswanger Glass Co (404) 873-1888 1886 Cheshire Bridge Rd NE

They have a lifetime warranty against leaks too.

BTW what Toyota dealer in ATL has Scions now??
Old 01-31-2004, 09:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

ok ... so a little late posting to this but just had mine replaced on my xB ... $420 aftermarket w/ lifetime warrenty ... dealer wanted $500 just for the glass
Old 01-31-2004, 11:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I couldn't see getting a whole new windshield for a little chip. This AM a repair guy is coming to stop the chip from spreading and he also thinks he can make it 90% less visible..$50.00 for the first $10.00 for every other one. He is certified so, I guess it'll be good. I want to save $$ for other crap...
Old 02-01-2004, 03:53 AM

well, its now Jan31 and I have three chips in the windshield but no cracks, keeping the fingers crossed that they don't grow. :?

Old 02-03-2004, 04:03 PM
5 Year Member

Default new winshield

Same thing happended to me. On Christmas day I was driving on the freeway and a rock hit the winshield, I didn't think anything of it because I didn't see any cracks.
The next morning, the cold made the crack was hella gigantic. It starts downward on the passenger side then left all the way to the freakin driver's side. It looks HELLO GHETTO!!!

Anyways, I called in for it at the dealer and they're asking for $520, not including installation for an xB. I got the hook up though, I'm going to wait a month or two and get it for about $100. I'm not sure about the xA. I'll look into it.
Old 02-03-2004, 04:13 PM
5 Year Member

GUYS, before you pay to replace a windshield, contact your insurance dealer. I know that you're required to keep full coverage on your cars if they are financed. Comprehensive is part of that coverage.

I had 2 cracks in my windshield. I thought I was going to have to pay the $100 deductible on my windshield. Well, turns out that if you get the cracks filled, then almost EVERY insurance carrier will pick up the tab....no deductible.

I called my Statefarm agent and yup, my windshield repair was free. I just got it done this morning at Safelite Autoglass. If you call those guys, they will actually call your insurance for you and do everything right over the phone. They will even come to you to fix it.

So, the moral is, check your comprehensive, most insurance companies will cover a repair.....fill....for free, because it costs them about $600 dollars less to do that.

Gix
Old 02-03-2004, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default seriously

I dont think we are prone to having our windshields break, rocks are to blame. But on my last car, a crappy Focus, I had the windshield get busted 3 times, all from rocks. The windshield repair guys new me by name...