Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Engine Break-In

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 02:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
sIcKsCiOnS

Forgive me I don't know didally about breakdown levels and additives I buy Shell V-Power gas cause it promotes five times the cleaner additives . So I know I'm a sucker when someone says a few more horsies and I jump all over it. Although I did watch. I believe it was Horse Power TV. They had a green Honda Civic 92-95 coupe style. Put it to the test with regular oil first and then completely drained the oil out they had to change a couple of hoses I think and something else to assure they had got all the regular oil out then installed synthetic and the dyno proved that the synthetic yielded more horsies. i cant remember if they used Royal Purple or Mobile 1.

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-07-2020 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge
Old 11-21-2004, 09:22 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

OK The Royal Purple is my xB at 2,000 miles..woo hoo and those who do not under stand.

Hey that is your issue.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-07-2020 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge
Old 01-18-2005, 07:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anyone know why you shouldn't travel long distance at the same speed during break-in? I keep hearing don't but I'm not getting why.
Old 01-23-2005, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I'm a mechanical Engineer working for a reputable auto manufacturing company from Japan and I would have to agree with the chemical engineer. Most people are wasting their money on the synthetic oil. If you did any real racing (not street racing) you would know that most racing vehicles use straight 30 weight because of the high heat.

But, synthetic is better for cold weather starts and I would recommend that you switch your regular 5w-30 to a synthetic in the winter because of hard/cold starts.

Please let's try to be civil in the chat rooms and always remember we are all learning and we can all learn something no matter of your status in the motor world.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

hahaha... breaking in engines should be a religion too
Old 03-23-2005, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I broke mine in by driving it 1500 miles in four days. I probably wasn't supposed to do that, but it seems to be just fine. I bet people take this stuff too seriously.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

"I see no point in beating a dead horse..... You can take a horse to water but ya can't make it drink. "

Old 04-09-2005, 05:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No such thing as breaking it in any more...

This isn't the 60's where there were still metal shavings left in the motors from manufacturing... Most motors are run out of the car at the factory before being put into the cars.

I don't know for sure about the scion yet, but most cars are like that these days.

First oil change... do it 3,000... no reason to do it before, once again, the myth is over, no shavings are going to be left in the motor, if they are, you got other problems to worry about besides breaking your car in!

As far as oil's... you want an oil that is going to lubricate... if you are in a cold climate, you want an oil that is going to quickly lubricate all of the engine components so none of them are not lubricated while the car is warming up... you want the oil to be coating everything the moment the motor starts up and the jets start squirting...

I run Motul 300V in my car but I mostly road race it (not a Scion) I don't think I would put $20 a quart oil in my girlfriends scion when she gets it... But when she does... i will be putting Motul 8100 in it for sure

(looking forward to her tC, got my mod list planned for it already

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-07-2020 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge
Old 04-12-2005, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

then graffiti my reply back not caring for proper grammer as anyone writing a response on a palm will know it is difficult.
amen to that
Old 04-24-2005, 09:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

i thought this sticky was about break ins? how did yall ended up with oil discussion? anyway i will be getting my new 5spd tC in 2 weeks, and i have been reading up on proper break-in techniques:

1. the one that poeple have mentioned here already, vary your speed, dont redline. thats it just drive normally.

2. the MotoMan theory. where you go floor it and let it go and etc etc. im not too sure if you can post url links up here, but just google him you shold find him.

so, which one have you guys used and what were you guys' dyno or just overall results?
Old 07-14-2005, 04:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think people are way too serious about break-in. I mean honestly, what's going to happen if you break it in one way or the other? The engine will die at 10k miles? The performance will go down 30%? This is a 21st century Toyota, I am sure you could drive it any way you want off the lot and it would still last you a generation provided you take care of it and don't abuse it. I have never heard of new cars having problems due to improper break-in.

I think that the reason why the manual suggests easy driving and varying speeds is to ensure there are no defects from the factory. If you take it easy, and something is wrong with the car (a lemon perhaps?) you can spot it safely, rather than seeing something happen when you're redlining at 50 miles on the odo.
Old 08-06-2005, 11:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can someone point me to where I can read about which synthetic oil to use in my xB?
Old 08-10-2005, 04:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im jus wondering, is it ok to change your 1st oil change with a full synthetic oil?
at 2k imma change to a better brand of full synthetic.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My question is this.

When the break in procedure says not to drive at the same speed for a "long time" what does "long" mean. I have a commute where I'm on the highway for twenty minutes, does this mean I should not drive at the same speed for twenty minutes?
Old 08-29-2005, 06:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Sunshine,

THANK YOU for bringing some sense into this thread. Mobil 1 is fantastic stuff. I'll never use anything else.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Somebody mentioned that the tC is delivered with synthetic oil. Are the xA and xB delivered with Synth?
Old 10-08-2005, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Love all of the information. Don't like the aggression.

I'll stick to conventional oil and Toyota's filter. I travel long distances and wouldn't want to get stuck where I can't get synthetic, forced to use conventional, then stuck thereon using a blend. Doesn't seem worth the effort.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 4est
Sunshine,

THANK YOU for bringing some sense into this thread. Mobil 1 is fantastic stuff. I'll never use anything else.
Following my mechanics advice I switched from regular oil to Mobil 1 full synthetic at 9,000 miles. I noticed that the xB starts easier and the gas mileage is a little better.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Old Guy is a ranting baby

nb,
Take it easy old man, you might blow a gasket. You sound like a kid with all that ranting and raving about your experience. Listen to what others have to say and use constructive criticism if you believe different. Me and my buddies are laughing at you and your lab bros, sounds pretty stupid and immature doesn't it.

Back on topic, I switched to synthetic, Mobil 1, in my Toyota Tacoma, which I beat down off
road and long trips to Mex, and I like the data provided concerning synthetics. Still haven't got my XxAyet, but I am sure I'll switch to synthetic as well after a while for the same reasons. Not much of a price difference as well, Costco sells Mobile 1 at a very affordable price.

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-07-2020 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge
Old 12-16-2005, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

B1uEsC1uEs.

I changed to Mobil1 @500 miles. My box is still running fine @2500 miles! BTW, I am a believer in the motoman/mototuneusa.com break in procedure.

Quick Reply: Engine Break-In