Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

freyed mats got you down?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 07:56 AM
5 Year Member

Default freyed mats got you down?

hey guys, i saw the posts before i got my xB and devised a way to protect them.. basically after weighing my options, i decided to go with something clear on top of the mats so i could see the 'scion' embroidery (the reason i paid 130 bucks for them).. what i did was i got some of that clear plastic you put on hallway carpeting, i got it at the local home depot, i cut it out to fit the four floormats plus the one in the trunk.. it may be a little unnatural looking for some of you, but for others its a great $6 alternative to putting ugly aluminum over it.. the best thing about the plastic is that you can just wipe it off, you dont really know how much dirt you track in until you take a hose to the plastic after 2 weeks... if nothing else, its a great way to protect your mats until you feel you found a better solution.. i think it looks great so i dont even mind.. in fact, some people that rode in my xB thought it came w the car.. there are little spikes in the bottom that prevent it from slipping.. ill post pics tomorrow so you can see if you like it before you venture out to the store..
Old 10-16-2003, 02:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: freyed mats got you down?

Originally Posted by daversion
i got some of that clear plastic you put on hallway carpeting, i got it at the local home depot, i cut it out to fit the four floormats plus the one in the trunk...
Make sure you punch the holes for the carpet hooks at the rear edge of the front mats. These keep the front carpets out of the pedals. You _don't_ want to get the throttle hung up with the carpet!

George
Old 10-16-2003, 06:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Originally Posted by George
Originally Posted by daversion
i got some of that clear plastic you put on hallway carpeting, i got it at the local home depot, i cut it out to fit the four floormats plus the one in the trunk...
Make sure you punch the holes for the carpet hooks at the rear edge of the front mats. These keep the front carpets out of the pedals. You _don't_ want to get the throttle hung up with the carpet!

George
yeah my Songe Bob Squarepants mat is allways bunched up under the pedals.
Old 10-16-2003, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd just take my drivers side mat to a car upholstery shop and have a plastic piece sewn onto the pedal area.
Old 10-16-2003, 09:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by randode

George
The reason that I mention this is that I was riding as a passenger in a co-worker's Cadillac when the he punched it to get around some traffic. He backed off, but the gas pedal had gotten hooked under the carpeting meaning that the Northstar V8 was still whipping all 350 horses. Luckily we had space to get things sorted out before running into stopped traffic, but it certainly raised my heart rate for the rest of the day!

George
Old 10-16-2003, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by randode

George
The reason that I mention this is that I was riding as a passenger in a co-worker's Cadillac when the he punched it to get around some traffic. He backed off, but the gas pedal had gotten hooked under the carpeting meaning that the Northstar V8 was still whipping all 350 horses. Luckily we had space to get things sorted out before running into stopped traffic, but it certainly raised my heart rate for the rest of the day!

George

Was it a Sponge Bob Squarepants mat? I've heard they slip a bit.
Old 10-18-2003, 07:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

for those of you interested i am having a shop make some cf pieces for the drivers side floor mad, im pretty sure that they will rivit in, have a lip on the end toward the pedals and be textured if anyone is interested the shop wants to make at least 5 since it will be in a mold, so pm me if your interested, price should be pretty low, im trying to shoot for about 40-50, but im just ballparking the figure, so anyways if you want one hit me up, if there is a large interest in them i may start a larger scale f production

brent
Old 10-20-2003, 04:38 AM
5 Year Member

i got my scion mats for free, and i don't think twice about using them as just regular floor mats. the fabric/material is getting matty now, but whatever. there are nicer aftermarket mats that i could get if i was really concerned with appearance.

just my two cents...

john
Old 10-20-2003, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by tinybigrig
for those of you interested i am having a shop make some cf pieces for the drivers side floor mad, im pretty sure that they will rivit in, have a lip on the end toward the pedals and be textured if anyone is interested the shop wants to make at least 5 since it will be in a mold, so pm me if your interested, price should be pretty low, im trying to shoot for about 40-50, but im just ballparking the figure, so anyways if you want one hit me up, if there is a large interest in them i may start a larger scale f production

brent
i might be interested.....