Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

HELP! Selling STOCK 2007 tC as a 'fixer upper' and wondering if/what repairs to make

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member

Default HELP! Selling STOCK 2007 tC as a 'fixer upper' and wondering if/what repairs to make

BACKGROUND:
So got my automatic, Super White 2007 tC brand new and have since put 130,000+ miles on it. I need to sell it next month to get a larger, more fuel efficient car for a new job. I'm not a car enthusiast so I haven't modified it AT ALL.
I LOVE my tC, but it got beat up a bit through college. I'm concerned that the value is hindered by some aesthetic issues, and wondering if/what I should replace OR if I should just sell it as is to an enthusiast so they can fix it up!

ISSUES:
The main issues:
- driver side mirror was replaced with a non-matching color (car is white, mirror is black)
- some scratches/chips on the door handle
- minor dent on the driver side fender from where my _______ ex-bf kicked it (had it popped out, but not all the way)
- the door lock actuators have gone bad on the driver & passenger side (the key fob still works, its just the actuators)
- the front grill is missing
- the plastic under carriage bent down when pulling into a parking space too far, so its tied up by twine (I know... its had a hard life)
- of course, the trunk latch has fallen off, and is glued on (half way) with jb weld, and the other half taped
- the original floor mats are gone, and there is a small tear in the driver's side floor carpet
- the center console storage compartment lost it's latch
- some minor burn marks on the interior
- one of the rims is bent from hitting a curb, and a few of the other ones have some scratches

POSITIVES
* Never had an accident
* Kept up with the maintenance 100%
* No major engine issues, runs great (replaced alternator & battery last year)
* All 4 tires replaced, brand new, last year
* I have original manuals, and receipts from most, if not all, services, repairs, & replacements
* Just recently got the transmission fluid flushed, oil changed, and detailed in order to sell
* CLEAN bill of health from a trusted local mechanic (Richard's Quality Auto Care in Tampa)

BOTTOM LINE:
So, I know the value of the car, selling PRIVATELY, in "fair" condition, according to KBB.com is $4,560.... but on craigslist in my area (Orlando/Tampa) 2007 tCs are going for 5k-7k with more miles on them,
but in better, 'final sale' condition -- I'm wanting to sell it to someone who will fix it up, who has the capacity & know-how to modify it, make it nice, and either re-sell it or use it. It is a perfect 'fixer-upper' car for someone who wants it.

Now, my main questions are:
- Is this an appropriate condition to sell the car in?? - I don't really have time or motivation to fix it up to 'final sale' quality
- Are there people out there who would want a car in this condition in order to fix it up??
- What would be a reasonable price range?
- ANY other tips/opinions would be GREATLY appreciated!

**NOT looking for CRITICISMS, unless they're CONSTRUCTIVE so please keep negative commentary to yourself.**

Thanks!

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-10-2020 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 03-05-2015, 02:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Have you considered checking the NADA value? I think there site also has more detail on what condition the car needs to be in vs. KBB which just throws a value.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:11 AM
5 Year Member

1. Paint the mirror
2. Replace the front grille
3. Ditch the twine for black zip ties and properly secure the splash guard
4. Replace the bent rim (most important)
5. Get some floor mats

About the rear trunk plastic panel. Remove the tape, use some rubbing compound to remove the residue.

In the condition you are describing your car someone is going to offer you a low ball price. You got some things in your favor, the miles are not bad for the year, you are the original owner and it's a clean title.
That being said I recommend that you invest no more than $500 to improve the selling condition. You can make yourself a little more and it won't take much effort, you are not going to get the price you want in this condition.

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-10-2020 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 03-09-2015, 05:48 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dc5chris209
1. Paint the mirror
2. Replace the front grille
3. Ditch the twine for black zip ties and properly secure the splash guard
4. Replace the bent rim (most important)
5. Get some floor mats

About the rear trunk plastic panel. Remove the tape, use some rubbing compound to remove the residue.

In the condition you are describing your car someone is going to offer you a low ball price. You got some things in your favor, the miles are not bad for the year, you are the original owner and it's a clean title. That being said I recommend that you invest no more than $500 to improve the selling condition. You can make yourself a little more and it won't take much effort, you are not going to get the price you want in this condition.
All excellent ideas. Honestly I would just take fair and get the car detailed. You can sink a lot of money in trying to get paint matching, doors repaired and grill replacment just on labor. If your savvy enough to do the work yourself maybe then maybe just time. The mirror is going to be the biggest turn-off because people always buy with there eyes first, so I would focus on the grille and mirror. I would then just detail the car. The undercarriage can be fixed easily to be more secure (trim screws, etc)

Visually inspect the interior after detailing and button-up what you can. You can buy mats at walmart that may slide right in and 90% of used car buyers are not going care at your cars price range. If the burns are from cigarettes and you smoked in the car then your dealing with a whole new set of issues that may make it even harder to sell your car, but you can start with replacing the cabin filter!