Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

How to Properly Store Your Car

Old 01-04-2010, 04:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

If you jack it up, you make on HECK of a target for getting your rims...even on base...
Old 02-10-2010, 05:13 AM
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion

The first step is to find a good clean, dry, secure location to store your car.
Once your car is ready to be put into storage, you must prepare the storage environment.
change all "standard" fluids - this covers almost all fluids. When preparing a car for storage, change the following fluids:

* engine coolant
* engine oil
* hydraulic clutch
* hydraulic brake
* windshield washer
Old 10-24-2011, 07:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Keeping the interior dry

You can get moisture collecting desiccant bags at Lowes or The Home Depot. They are made for collecting moisture in basements or closets to keep the room / clothes dry. Hang one up in your car and you will be surprised how much water it collects!

I doubt changing coolant or any other fluid is necessary, Engine Oil for sure due to moisture accumulation.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:20 PM

just follow these steps it will be helpful to everybody
f you are going to store your car for a period of more than two months, the following are recommendations to follow.
* Fill the tank with gas and add a gas stabilizer to keep your gas from becoming stale.
* Change the oil and filter.
* Thorough wash the exterior of the car, wheels, and tires. If possible, remove each wheel and thoroughly clean them. Especially the back side
where dirt and road debris accumulates. Polish the wheels and reinstall. Polish/wax the exterior. Clean/detail the engine bay. When the car
is sufficiently cleaned and the paint treated to a good coating of carnauba wax or polish, consider covering it with a quality car cover from
California Car Cover or Big Sky Car Covers, or another high quality cover.
* To prevent tire flat spots, use jack stands to raise the car off the floor. Set the stands under the control arms so that the weight of the car is
still on the suspension, and just high enough to keep the weight off of the tires. Putting the jack stands under the spring perches is
recommended by many. If jack stands are not available you can use wood blocks. Just remember that the suspension likes to be loaded. It's
heavy. Many recommend that you just inflate the tires to the max and put carpet squares under each tire.
* Check the tire air pressure and be sure all four tires are the same correct pressure. Note that regular air can leak during storage due to faulty
valve stems, wheel irregularities, etc. Costco warehouse stores use nitrogen to fill tires. It is the only place that I know of that has nitrogen
due to the expense of the equipment I guess. However, nitrogen is preferred for a number of reasons. The most important IMO is that it is
heavier than air and is less likely to leak out (larger molecules). So if you have a Costco in your area consider replacing the air with nitrogen.
You'll have more consistent air pressures without leaking.
* Disconnect the negative battery cable. When you're ready to take it out of storage hook it back up. Some prefer to use a battery tender.
* Place a few moisture absorber packs (desiccants) in the interior to absorb any moisture. Large packs are usually available at most do-it-yourself
building supply or hardware chains. A couple of bags on the front and rear floors, as well as a few more in the trunk, and you'll have dampness
protection for the entire winter season. As an alternative, kitty litter can be used in small containers.
* Get some Arm & Hammer baking soda to put in the cabin. Open the tabs and place the entire box on the floor. I'll put one box on the rear
floor and one on the front floor. This will prevent any musty smell.
* Cover the car with a high quality car cover. The cover will keep the paint surface clean and protect it from scratches if you (or others) will be
working around the car.
* Inflatable bubble covers are also available. You basically drive your car into the bubble and inflate it. Users state that air is continually kept
flowing through the bubble and this totally keeps out all moisture. So rusting of the brake rotors, for example, is not an issue. I don't know
anything more about this method so you should research it before using it.
* Change your oil again when the car comes out of storage.
* When starting the car after long term storage, hold the accelerator to the floor (which will turn off the fuel injectors) while starting. Turn the car
over for about 10 seconds to get the oil flowing to the top of the engine. Then start the car normally. It is also recommended to pull all the
plugs first so the starter isn't working against compression. It is my understanding, though, that if you have a BAP it can render this trick
useless, reportedly due to the upgraded wiring coming directly from the battery.

The best way to keep mice out of your car is to keep them out of the storage area, usually a garage. Keep doors and windows sealed as tightly as possible.

Keep food out of your building and cars. If there’s nothing for mice to eat, they won’t usually hang around. Pay close attention not to leave scraps or crumbs inside the vehicle. Vacuum the carpets, seats, under-seat area, console and glove box. Use probe tools to get at the petrified French fries on the side of the seat. LOL! Then shampoo the carpets so they are nice & clean and smell fresh.

Traps and poisons are a line of defense against mice. They come in a variety of models and prices. They work, but remember that bait traps are designed to attract mice and then kill them. Keeping the mice away in the first place works best. Some people prefer to put triangle shaped tube traps, that have a sticky base, near the garage door on both sides where the floor meets the wall. Rodents normally walk along these edges so places traps there works.

In most cases, mice enter a car by scampering up the tires. If the vehicle is stored without tires, it is a bit harder for them to get inside. Tireless storage will also keep your tires from “flat spotting.”
Rodents can nest several places in a vehicle: the engine compartment, the interior and the trunk. They’re drawn to the warmth of an engine or heater motor. They will eat electrical wires and even spark plug wires.

Mice can also get into cars through holes around cables, pedal shafts, steering columns and so on. If you can seal all these openings, mice can’t enter. Leave the sun visors in the down position. If you want to keep the windows slightly open for better airflow, cover the opening with screening.

Usually, these creatures can’t get into a trunk if you seal interior openings; they usually enter the trunk from the rear seat. Some cars have drain holes in the spare tire well. These holes should be taped.

Some people put mothballs on the floor around the car. The line of mothballs should have no gaps at any point. Other car owners place mothballs or scented soap in a cake pan inside the car to keep mice away. Mice don’t like the mothball smell, but neither will you. If you go the mothball route, you can help to eliminate the smell by putting a scented candle under the seat on a hot day.

Zipper bags seal the whole car. There are two types. The first is a big plastic sack with a zipper. A second type is a plastic bubble supported by a curtain of air. The air pump draws little current and promotes better airflow. Both bags work well if you use them properly. The trouble is the hassle. You must be very careful not to trap moisture in the bag. While the air-curtain type won’t trap moisture, it does require electricity.

One final step in fighting rodent infestation is to make spot checks every couple of weeks. If you see droppings or notice that unpleasant mouse smell, the steps you have taken so far aren’t working. In this case, the first thing to do is to get rid of the mice. Then you’ll need to protect the vehicle from being re-infested. If you inspect the car on a regular basis, you should be able to remedy the problem before damage is done.
Mercedes Headlights
Old 12-05-2013, 12:19 AM
5 Year Member

There are definitely many differing views about the correct steps to store a car, much like anything automotive, but this is a pretty good write up.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Has anyone stored there vehicles here over 5 months? I'm about to go on another deployment but this time I will not be driving my vehicle back to TX like I have the previous times. I've been reading so many different procedures in doing so some say parts of it is a waste of time and others say to do this instead. I need people who have real experiences in the past to give insight on this. I'm also on coilovers and have stretched tires.