Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Clay Bar vs Turbo Wax Oxidation & Bug Remover Block

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 01:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Clay Bar vs Turbo Wax Oxidation & Bug Remover Block

We are always looking to test our products against other products on the market, this time I decided to go head to head against one of the best clay bars on the market we will call it X, so here is my take on the exercise.

First, what is a Clay Bar- a General description

Clay is a mixture of clay base and various mild abrasives. Clay along with a clay lubricant is used to remove paint contamination. Spray wax, window cleaner or water can work as a clay lubricant. Road grime, tar, bugs, rust, tree sap and even paint overspray can be removed with a clay bar.

Clay bars differ in color and density but what is most important is the type and amount of abrasive particles they contain. All clay bars will be labeled from "mild" to "strong" abrasive quality. Claying does not remove the clear coat of the paint but can cause marring or dullness if used incorrectly. When using a clay bar sufficient lubrication must be present to avoid scratching the paint.

It takes a few passes of clay to feel the difference on the surface of the paint. To evaluate the effectiveness of claying dry the area and assess the paint and the bar. The paint should become slick to touch. The clay bar used should be turning gray. If the clay bar is dropped it must be discarded. The clay bar should be folded over frequently to expose clean surface. Claying does not replace polishing. It is a process that should be used before polishing compound is used.

One huge misconception is that all of them are the same they are not, period.

General Comparison

Other brands Price $ 12.50- $16.00- Ours $14.99

Limited Life - Ours 25 Uses

Wrong use could bring problems - Ours, easy to use not intended to use under the heavy sun or hot surfaces

Dropped and is garbage- Ours just rinse it and re use it

Works Properly at times, extremely difficult to remove bugs- Ours will remove bugs easy

Some of them to be effective a specific lubricant is needed (only some products) ours use Water.

Most of them are too big and difficult to handle- Ours easy to use

Some of them can cause dullness- Ours, not one single case reported

Removal of Overspray- may need different grades- Ours tested with extreme overspray 98% came out

Low quality clay bar will damage the paint- Ours award wining product in 2007

Depending on condition you may need different grades- With ours if you don’t get great results you must move to a heavier product, compound or such, we haven’t found that to be the case yet

Test Mule, our 2003 Ford Excursion, in all fairness the truck has been expose to bad weather the last 3 weeks.

Overhaul condition on surface same on both sides ( you can click on image for a larger view)

Conventional Clay vs. Turbo Wax Oxidation Block (right side vs. left side)

First prepare the car shampoo,Nothing more than One spoon of car shampoo!!

Left side using conventional clay bar

Contaminants from surface on left side

Right side TW Oxidation block

Work in progress

Right side- Things that make you go Hummmmmmm,

Right side work in progress

Good Bye Bugs!!

Left Side

Left side I really had to work hard to get all of the bugs out, in some places I had re-do the work 4 or 5 times, eventually I got them out

After 2 passes with the conventional clay bar

After right side was washed and the TW Oxidation block used, I clay the surface with the conventional clay, the results, no one single trace of contaminants , this proof once again that our oxidation block does work, a superb job ! Not one single trace!

Stains on side skirt from the exhaust fumes from the turbo diesel

As found

End result

And finally the finished product that is with a little help of Mr. Porter Cable, Pre wax with a white pad, Wax with a finishing pad :twothumbs

Another test with great results