Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Remedy for chips and scratches?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 11:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Remedy for chips and scratches?

i came to discover later today that i had a few scratches on my front end...

most likely from someone kissing my bumper and the screws from the LP scratched my car.

they are not too big but fairly deep scratches...

any remedy to this?

this sucks!
Old 10-22-2003, 11:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Sadly enough,

i have couple of those on my hood...and it hurts to see my little box all scratched up...

i heard one of the best way to remedy deeper scratches or blotch...is to use factory touch-up paint....

dab some on the affected area... make sure the re-painted spots are leveled...no big lumps...then use conventional wax ... then buffer the area really well...it should blend the paint evenly rather than leaving a thick spot...

i'm gonna try it next weekend... my friend did it... and it came out great...can't even tell that there was a scratch previously.
Old 10-23-2003, 05:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

prior to my virgin debadging task on my xb...

i purchased some meguiars scratch x..

just in case i ____ed up on the project...

would that work?

how do i remove the big ___ lump of paint that car pushed up..?
Old 10-26-2003, 05:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I also have those scratches on my car. I also have a huge scratch on the side of my car because a jealous a$$hole keyed my car while I was in school. I was talking to a guy at the Canyon Cruise meeting and he told me that the Meguires fine cut product rounds the scratch so it doesn't have that v-cut look, so it ends up not looking as bad as it did before. I also went to the toyota/scion dalership and they have the touch-up paint for your scion color AND a product called "MAGIC" something, I'm not quite sure. WHat this product does is that after you add the touch-up paint too the scratch, it gets rid of that blotch of paint and it leaves the paint in the scratch alone. I haven't tried it yet, but I think I'm going to have to, because IO can't afford to paint thr whole side of my xb. Look for it at your dealer, they might have it. Hope I have helped.

EDDY
Old 10-27-2003, 04:08 AM
5 Year Member

one of the inherent design problems with the xB, IMHO, is the rear bumper. while it's low enough to make loading in and out easy, it protrudes enough so that it's easy to get stuff caught on it.

the other night i finally decided to cross the grocery strike lines--don't even get me started on the ridiculousness of THAT issue--and bought twice as much stuff as i usually do. when i got home, some of the contents had shifted, so when i opened the trunk door, some items fell out. one of the items that came out was a box of juice pops, which hit the bumper on its way down. now i have a scratch in the top of the bumper--from a freakin' box of JUICE POPS!

argh. i love the car, but it sure dings easily. thank god i have it in a garage and not out on the street. of course, living in an apartment with one parking space means that the other car sits at the work garage, but so far the security guards haven't figured it out--or they have, but they don't care!

john
Old 10-30-2003, 05:48 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
IV ACE

My car used to get scratched all the time at school and it's especially easy to see on the dark blue color. What about paint chips fron opening the door? I have 2 little dots that are very small but easy to see because they are very deep and the color is white. Where do I get the correct color touch up paint and do I still buffer it even tho it is on the edge of the car door, like a surface area of 1/10 inch?
Old 10-30-2003, 05:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

A good thing for dings....

Get the correct color touch up paint from scion....and get those window cling things...like those rubbery stickers, that dont actually have stickiness to them, but will cling to smooth stuff...

Put the tiniest dab of paint in the chip, and put the cling sheet over it, if you put enough paint in the chip, it will flatten out perfectly when the cling is applied....Just let it dry....and then remove the cling....buff, and wax.

MAKE SURE THE DING IS CLEAN FIRST!!!! Use denatured alcohol...sparingly.
Old 10-30-2003, 06:02 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
IV ACE

What if you get spots of paint on the car and then they completely dry, can you still buff em out or is it stuck like that?
Old 10-30-2003, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Dont get spots of paint on the car....wipe any excess off immediately...It takes a while to dry, so you will be ok.
Old 10-30-2003, 10:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by andergtr
one of the inherent design problems with the xB, IMHO, is the rear bumper. while it's low enough to make loading in and out easy, it protrudes enough so that it's easy to get stuff caught on it.

the other night i finally decided to cross the grocery strike lines--don't even get me started on the ridiculousness of THAT issue--and bought twice as much stuff as i usually do. when i got home, some of the contents had shifted, so when i opened the trunk door, some items fell out. one of the items that came out was a box of juice pops, which hit the bumper on its way down. now i have a scratch in the top of the bumper--from a freakin' box of JUICE POPS!

argh. i love the car, but it sure dings easily. thank god i have it in a garage and not out on the street. of course, living in an apartment with one parking space means that the other car sits at the work garage, but so far the security guards haven't figured it out--or they have, but they don't care!

john
i suggest you get a cargo net... i have one and it's great for grocery.
Old 11-07-2003, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member

arinvolvo - im sure you understand the power of a buffer and how greatly it can impact the exterior if used incorrectly. I would not suggest using a buffer unless you are experienced with it. Swirlyness on a new car suxs.

For minor scratches use light rubbing compound. If you can see the body, go to a body shop. An experienced body shop can protect you from further corrosion from minor chips.

The plastic wrap approach is great, but you really do have to be careful with the clean-up there after.

Talk to a body shop, most will tell you what to do rather than waste their time on touch up. I worked at a shop for 3 months, and all though 95% of painters are coke heads, they're pretty cool and are more than happy to help you out...
Old 11-07-2003, 09:21 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
IV ACE

I don't think the paint is that great to start with on the scion, hopefully I'm wrong and just overly muscular When I used rubbing compound on the trunk for four scratches, I completely stripped the clear coat and had to get it painted/buffed in over at toyota. It was a simple thing but looked like ____ for a few days. I know I didn't rub hard and it did get out the scratches but I ended paying 70 bucks for something so small.
Old 11-07-2003, 09:24 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by showpaojoe
I don't think the paint is that great to start with on the scion, hopefully I'm wrong and just overly muscular When I used rubbing compound on the trunk for four scratches, I completely stripped the clear coat and had to get it painted/buffed in over at toyota. It was a simple thing but looked like ____ for a few days. I know I didn't rub hard and it did get out the scratches but I ended paying 70 bucks for something so small.
hmmm...i have known that to happen on black or very dark cars.. but on a lighter color the rubbing compound should suffice fine...

or you can just spend 70 bux at the dealership to start with... ?
Old 11-08-2003, 12:10 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
IV ACE

I've got a dark blue which is probably y. I don't need to spend $70 if I have the crap at home. I'm just saying I never did that to any other car which is y I'm wondering about the paint quality.